Intrant soon to start pilot program for automated traffic fines

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
INTRANT-logo-e1551787660805.png

The director of the National Institute of Transport and Transit (Intrant) Rafael Arias shed light on all the cameras that have been installed on city streets in central Santo Domingo.

He told Diario Libre in an interview that the Intrant is preparing to implement a photo enforcement system. The modality has been effective in other countries in reducing the number of speeding and red light violations. The system does not require the physical presence of traffic officers and relies on a system of cameras installed above city roads.

Arias said the project is financed through a public-private alliance. He expects it to solve the problem of drivers who violate the traffic law. He mentioned the cameras have already been installed on the Abraham Lincoln Avenue.

He told Diario Libre: “Maybe today you can go through a red light and if no one sees you, you are fine. But tomorrow, even...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I can't see how this could work here. Even if the car's owner is registered on the matricula, which often they aren't, the address is often vague or simply wrong. And good luck tracing the owners of a moto from a photo. Often the placa is missing or invisible.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I can't see how this could work here. Even if the car's owner is registered on the matricula, which often they aren't, the address is often vague or simply wrong. And good luck tracing the owners of a moto from a photo. Often the placa is missing or invisible.
So then the person who is listed as the owner will find out soon enough when he goes for a Placa, Driver License, or Insurance.

Reactions: MariaRubia

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
So then the person who is listed as the owner will find out soon enough when he goes for a Placa, Driver License, or Insurance.
Placa never has to be replaced, driver's licence is not linked to the car number. Insurance maybe, if the driver actually has any or if the insurance company is made to check the records.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Placa never has to be replaced, driver's licence is not linked to the car number. Insurance maybe, if the driver actually has any or if the insurance company is made to check the records.
Excuse me I meant the Marbeta. What about that one. Cannot drive without it.....................

Reactions: cavok

LTDan

Apr 29, 2021
SDQ
can't wait for tomorrow's announcement of a plan that they'll have all Dominican fathers take care of their children or pay child support

• Haha
Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

LTDan

Apr 29, 2021
SDQ
They actually have one. Many have been locked up for non-oayment.
what's your definition of many?, I haven't met one girl that says her "baby-papi" is locked up for non-"P"ayment of child support, and maybe 1 out of 15 gets a small amount of money to help out

Reactions: drstock

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I guess I have been here longer than you have. Even had to hide out an employee of mine until I got him to appear in a court in Santiago and pay. It is not done often because it takes start up money from the spouse to a lawyer.

But if a spouse has a good case and a good lawyer he will be in jail quickly......................

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
what's your definition of many?, I haven't met one girl that says her "baby-papi" is locked up for non-"P"ayment of child support, and maybe 1 out of 15 gets a small amount of money to help out
Dan,the reason is because those girls haven't spent the time and energy to drag their baby daddys into court. The system is in place and it works,it just takes a lot of time and effort,I'll stop short in saying it is due to lazyness on the mother's part but......

Reactions: Se fue la luz

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I know a few folks who have been thru the courts/ ordered to pay or face jail.
I know more than a few myself. It works if the mother wants to put the father through the wringer. More than often they don't.

Now, can we get back to the subject of the thread?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
guess you only know the lowest ghetto class girls. Many of the children at our school have their school fees paid by their baby-papi, some even pay for two or three children from different women. Lots of Dominican papi's pay if they can afford to.

Reactions: SKY
Feb 7, 2007
When you buy a car and register it in DGII, they put the address from your cedula and cedula or RNC number in Matricula. Most people have outdated address in their cedula, so most car owners will be surprised by accumulated fines once a year when they go to buy new Marbete and then they find out that they can't do it until they pay the fines.

Another question is, who they fine, the driver who committed the infraction, or the car owner? You let me drive your car for a few days, I run on red light and never tell you, next October you go buy a new Marbete and find out about fines in the system. Or you can't renew your drivers license (it has the same number as your cedula) because somebody else was driving your car and ran on red. Is that actually legal according to DR laws? What if you rented your car to somebody, are you responsible for his infractions? If yes, why you are not responsible if he run somebody over and kill him while driving your car? What's the difference?

Those imbeciles just heard that some cameras exist in some developed countries, but they have no idea how it works there. Just another case when banana republic's Government tries to play first world games and will fail again, like they always do.
This was a great post and I actually wholeheartedly agree with you.

Eugene_A

Banned
Feb 12, 2021
Santo Domingo
And, on top of that, if you sell your car, what if next day the new owner starts running on red light and you get all the fines until he register it in his name, if he ever will? LOL. I actually had to go to DGII once to discharge a vehicle off my name, because the new owner never registered it in his name and I did not want to wait until they bust him with cocaine in that truck or something like that, who knows. So with this new 'photo-multa' system selling a car will be fun.

Liberator

Luck is for the unprepared
Jan 23, 2021
Europe
Enforcement and control by the local police? Just re-educate...

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Obviously there will be flaws, people who lend their vehicles to other people, people who have missing placas. But IMO this will account for, say, 20% maximum cases. So 80% of drivers will have to conform or be fined. So I think this is a great idea. So many kids on motos needlessly killed in traffic accidents, if this saves two or three lives a year, then it's worth it. Not sure why everyone on here is getting so hung up on the fact that there may be leakage and it won't work every time.

I would love them to introduce a congestion charging daily tax in Santo Domingo like they have in London, where people have to pay each day to drive and all the money is spent on public transport. They certainly need some drastic action to sort out the traffic.

Reactions: cavok

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Those imbeciles just heard that some cameras exist in some developed countries, but they have no idea how it works there. Just another case when banana republic's Government tries to play first world games and will fail again, like they always do.

Are you saying the whole government are imbeciles for importing a tried and tested idea to solve a major problem in DR? And do you really have to refer to the DR as Banana Republic? Please respect the fact that this forum is largely for people who have chosen to make DR their home, often have families and businesses and who value the country. These sweeping negative generalisations just grate and grate.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
There is a major problem, as usual, with anything like this and it is the Dominican disregard of maintenance . Never has the phrase ..do not fix it until it is broken,,, more widely employed than here. Sorry about the slight paraphrase. . I can imagine all types of problems with the coordination of the red light and the camera as well as the actual film. There is always a problem with multi lane intersections as well . The red light camera is used in many countries and in Bangkok it works extremely well even with motor cyclists. However Dominican culture is quite unique with a basic dislike of rules and regulations so I imagine that very soon everyone would place some reflective device on their number plate to stop accurate filming . It would not be on my list of priorities ,far behind tackling mobile phone use when driving and fighting against the delinquents on motor bikes that currently are terrorising many eastern DR barrios.