Intrant soon to start pilot program for automated traffic fines

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Enforcement and control by the local police? Just re-educate...
The above is referring to my comment that moto placas are often missing or invisible. Did you know that when you buy a new moto it can take many months to get a matricula and a placa? Motos don't have the paper temporary one that cars have. Until the official placa is issued and fitted by the owner, he just shows the purchase documents and the number on the chassis if stopped by the police.

nickdr

May 30, 2014
Another stupid tax grab. They fail to do anything about all the drunk/aggressive drivers (and there are plenty; and easy to find) but have helmet checkpoints (which 99% of the locals know about; it is easy to tell where they are because they are all wearing helmets on that particular day/time) and other dumb reasons to pull you over and shake you down for bribe money.

When I lived in DC they had these stupid cameras and I had both a device that alerted every time when I was near one and a plate cover which distorts your plate numbers when viewed from an angle. I was pulled over for it once and the officer just told me to remove it and give it to him or else I would get a ticket; which I did. I told him I would buy another one for $20 online as soon as I get home and he didn't seem to care; even asked me where you could buy them (which is from "Radar Roy" a former traffic cop). What a joke.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
The above is referring to my comment that moto placas are often missing or invisible. Did you know that when you buy a new moto it can take many months to get a matricula and a placa? Motos don't have the paper temporary one that cars have. Until the official placa is issued and fitted by the owner, he just shows the purchase documents and the number on the chassis if stopped by the police.
I bought a new car in May and I am still waiting for the placa.

LTDan

Apr 29, 2021
SDQ
I guess I have been here longer than you have. Even had to hide out an employee of mine until I got him to appear in a court in Santiago and pay. It is not done often because it takes start up money from the spouse to a lawyer.

But if a spouse has a good case and a good lawyer he will be in jail quickly......................
you hid someone so he wouldn't have to go to court for child support?, hmm........... I think there's a term for that; but you did nail it when you said "It is not done often"

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
you hid someone so he wouldn't have to go to court for child support?, hmm........... I think there's a term for that; but you did nail it when you said "It is not done often"
No. What I did was make the guy show up in court and PAY the money he owed without getting arrested first. The girl was very happy with the result....................................

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Some of the comments/ideas here are astounding -

He lent his car
If he can't remember to whom & when he lent the car ---- he's SOL
That happens all over the world -car lending - not an RD problem

Car Registration
Personally, I change the ownership myself on a sale
PLUS
You have a bill of Sale w/ cedula etc for the buyer - proof !!
Problem solved

Address
This country seems to work well w/ the existing system
Mail deliveries, finding suspected criminals
I hope you never find out how visible & findable you are when the authorities are looking for you

Don't overthink a simple problem.....

XTraveller

Aug 21, 2010
And, on top of that, if you sell your car, what if next day the new owner starts running on red light and you get all the fines until he register it in his name, if he ever will? LOL. I actually had to go to DGII once to discharge a vehicle off my name, because the new owner never registered it in his name and I did not want to wait until they bust him with cocaine in that truck or something like that, who knows. So with this new 'photo-multa' system selling a car will be fun.
I would actually like know about how you can discharge a sold vehicle in your name, where and what was needed and the process in general?

Eugene_A

Banned
Feb 12, 2021
Santo Domingo
I would actually like know about how you can discharge a sold vehicle in your name, where and what was needed and the process in general?

You bring the sale contract or its notarized copy (I brought a simple copy), copy of your cedula, copy of matricula and buyer's cedula's copy (I did not have it but they agreed to proceed anyway). You pay 300 pesos and that's it, whatever happens involving that car, it's not your problem anymore.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Another question is, who they fine, the driver who committed the infraction, or the car owner? You let me drive your car for a few days, I run on red light and never tell you, next October you go buy a new Marbete and find out about fines in the system. Or you can't renew your drivers license (it has the same number as your cedula) because somebody else was driving your car and ran on red. Is that actually legal according to DR laws? What if you rented your car to somebody, are you responsible for his infractions? If yes, why you are not responsible if he run somebody over and kill him while driving your car? What's the difference?
If you could prove you weren't driving the car that day, you might stand a chance, but even then, I doubt it. Good luck with a lawyer here trying to get out of a red light infraction that wasn't yours. It'll cost you a small fortune and you'll still pay the ticket.

If the person driving your car runs over and kills somebody, he'll be in jail.

The moral of the story is - be very careful whom you let drive your car.

XTraveller

Aug 21, 2010

You bring the sale contract or its notarized copy (I brought a simple copy), copy of your cedula, copy of matricula and buyer's cedula's copy (I did not have it but they agreed to proceed anyway). You pay 300 pesos and that's it, whatever happens involving that car, it's not your problem anymore.
Thank you

Eugene_A

Banned
Feb 12, 2021
Santo Domingo
Good luck with a lawyer here trying to get out of a red light infraction that wasn't yours. It'll cost you a small fortune and you'll still pay the ticket.
Actually, you don't even need a lawyer to get out of a traffic infraction, you can do it yourself via centros de atencion de cuidadano, will it be successful or not depends on each case circumstances, but it will cost you nothing to try, except wasted time, and I don't see any point to waste time for RD$1500 or RD$1667 fine. If they really raise fines according to the new law, then we will see if it worth it.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Actually, you don't even need a lawyer to get out of a traffic infraction, you can do it yourself via centros de atencion de cuidadano, will it be successful or not depends on each case circumstances, but it will cost you nothing to try, except wasted time, and I don't see any point to waste time for RD$1500 or RD$1667 fine. If they really raise fines according to the new law, then we will see if it worth it.
I'm not surprised. I wouldn't waste my time over 1500 pesos either.

Reactions: CristoRey

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
When you buy a car and register it in DGII, they put the address from your cedula and cedula or RNC number in Matricula. Most people have outdated address in their cedula, so most car owners will be surprised by accumulated fines once a year when they go to buy new Marbete and then they find out that they can't do it until they pay the fines.

Another question is, who they fine, the driver who committed the infraction, or the car owner? You let me drive your car for a few days, I run on red light and never tell you, next October you go buy a new Marbete and find out about fines in the system. Or you can't renew your drivers license (it has the same number as your cedula) because somebody else was driving your car and ran on red. Is that actually legal according to DR laws? What if you rented your car to somebody, are you responsible for his infractions? If yes, why you are not responsible if he run somebody over and kill him while driving your car? What's the difference?

Those imbeciles just heard that some cameras exist in some developed countries, but they have no idea how it works there. Just another case when banana republic's Government tries to play first world games and will fail again, like they always do.

This post is mixture of good information and bashing of the DR.

I repeat Alter Ego's warning from yesterday. The disparaging and bashing comments stop, now.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
The collection of money from photo traffic enforcement is easier than you think. I come from the land of photo traffic enforcement where a city of 1 million generates over 100 million dollars per year. Once the camera has taken the picture its pretty much a done deal. You can not renew your license plates until all fines are paid.

If you think you are smarter than them and change plates then it goes to the registered owner of the vehicle at the time of the offence. So now you can't renew your drivers license until the fines are paid. So now you are ticked off and put on a license plate blocker. The cop that pulls you over gives you a 132 dollar fine. Its an equipment failure ticket so there is no way out of that one either. Repeated tickets result in vehicle impound (at your expense). If the Dominicans research this, it is a major way to make money.

The fines in Alberta are not the equivalent of 1500 pesos. A couple of examples, failure to come to a complete stop $405.00, speeding 12 KM over the limit $116.00. speed 20km over the limit $239.00, speed over 51km, fine of up to $2000.00 court appearance required on this one.

Many people have tried to fight photo tickets in court and all have lost. Its a tax to speed and nothing more. They do not give a rats ass who was driving the car. The car was breaking the law and you are responsible for your car. The only exception I have ever heard about was if the car was proven stolen.

To make it even more interesting if you fail to make your child care payments and your ex spouse pursues it, you can't renew your drivers license until you pay up. Its a hell of a system in which the government rarely looses. As I said proper research by the Dominicans and they can do this.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Anything that makes scofflaws get in line and get their act together is a good thing.

BTW, did anyone see the INTRANT notice advising they are going to return motorcycles previously impounded?

Eugene_A

Banned
Feb 12, 2021
Santo Domingo
Its a hell of a system in which the government rarely looses. As I said proper research by the Dominicans and they can do this.
They can't do this, because if they do this, they never get re-elected. Any Government that tries to force Dominicans to pay what they have to pay, will disappear from Dominican political scene very soon and forever. That's why NOTHING is enforced in DR, and nothing will be enforced in the foreseeable future.

So all this photo-multa bullshlt will never be implemented, and even if it will, it will be abandoned and forgotten and never enforced as well as all their previous ideas (like no trucks in the left lane, no LED headlights, .... )

• Haha
Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
I disagree. They have not tried to implement this here and once they realize the vast amount of income it will generate it will become a permanent fixture. Remember this is a guaranteed cash cow. The first government to do it will have some resistance but if they do it right and hide behind "it's all about public safety" it will fly.
There will be a few growing pains but hundreds of millions of pesos are up for grabs. They can't walk away from it especially if they bring the current road carnage to table and how this will fix it.

Reactions: Se fue la luz