Introducing Myself

Corona

Apr 18, 2002
Response to Jim Hinsch

Welcome to you, hypolite! It's still not too late to tell about yourself! Hi to you, too, lilsam!

Hi Jim! You inquired about the body work I mentioned. As I stated before, I am not licensed by the state of Oregon, where I now live. That means I cannot legally charge money for my service here. It also means that I have no formal training in anatomy and physiology, but it does not mean I am ignorant of such-- I have pursued my own studies, acquiring many good resources and reference materials to assist my understanding of these subjects. I don't pass myself off as a professional, but I am as professional as any I've ever been to. I realize there are good reasons for licensure in some situations. I have also learned over the years that there are people, like me, who are gifted in healing and who can really help people, even without the certification. In short, what I do is a combination of massage therapy and "energy" work. (I never heard that term until last fall, when I started course work at a local institution, and heard it described; I then identified it as something I am very familiar with and have incorporated into massage for the past forty years or so.) (I'm older than I look!! Yes, the photo is recent-- about 9 months old! LOL!) Energy work is just that-- the ability to pass energy through me to the recipient. People can feel a very strong heat come out of my hands or body when I work on them. At times, when I am finished, I look like I have just stepped out of a sauna-- face beet red, body covered with fine mist. It is intense heat, that is as simple as I can put it. But it doesn't hurt-- it heals. I could tell you stories of being called into different medical situations where standard technology was falling short, and something "else" was needed. We will have to meet at Eddy's Sports Bar and I will suck up some good beer and regale!
I started working on animals as a young child, because the wild critters always came to me... hummingbirds, (birds of all kinds, really) deer, rabbits, squirrels, porcupine, and domestic animals, too. I would massage them, set wings that were broken, close up wounds, etc. Feed them! Then off they would go. When I was older, several veterinarians allowed me to work along side of them and I learned much those people.
I am blessed with a gift that enables me to see someone or some creature that needs healing. I am 'drawn' to them, and I usually
am welcomed by them because I'm quiet, calm and have a very positive spirit about me.
So that is "it" in a big nutshell! Thanks for asking, Jim! Anyone with any other questions, feel free to let them fly! I am pretty open about these things, even though I am a very private person by nature... the kind of soul who needs to withdraw to regroup and refuel, if you will.

We are interested in the northeast coast. We have never visited, but of course, we will do so as we continue to investigate and
research the DR. I joined DR1 Forums to learn as much as I can from real people who have "been through the ropes". It's far more interesting than reading the canned literature out there!

Sorry if this was too long! I shall try to stifle a bit more in the future! Have a great rest of your day, everyone!

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Hi Corona......

If you should decide to make it to the "south" coast I know someone in Juan Dolio you should meet. She would be very interested in the "body work" you do.......so would I actually.
I've been told I too have the power to heal in my hands but I've never tapped into it. Funny tho' that my hands are usually cold until I start giving someone a massage.....then they get very hot!!
Let us know when you come to the Dr. Maybe It would be worth your while to travel around a bit!

Corona

Apr 18, 2002
MommC

Hi Lady!

I would be happy to meet you and exchange knowledge and techniques! LOL! Truth is, I rarely GET massaged, so if you have a gift, I shall receive it gladly! If I could have one every day, I would, as I know I respond well to it.

I would also be most appreciative of any contacts or persons you would direct me to when the time comes for us to visit. I want to
be in touch with others who are interested in the healing arts. It is never a problem for me to find people to work on! Even skeptical people have changed their preconceived ideas when they have experienced it. I have met many fascinating people simply by "being led" to approach them, be it in restaurants, grocery stores (I do loads of work in grocery stores! Short but sweet!) or hospitals-- just about anywhere there are people, really. I don't pretend to be something I am not. I am a regular person with a special gift that I am using to help others heal up.
That is all. I think healing takes shape in the physical, mental, emotional and spiritual arenas that make us up as individuals. If I can relieve a little suffering or a lot of suffering, I am most happy.

I hope I don't sound like a "quack". I have met several in my lifetime, but they showed themselves for what they were after a short time. Some of them were in the medical professions, some of them were not. If you are at all interested, we can correspond by email to talk about some of this stuff. If you don't have the time for that, we can hold off until we meet!

I incorporate food and music into the work, also... heck, I will use anything that works for good in someone!

Good night for now, talk to you all again soon!

Roxanne

Apr 24, 2002
Deaf People

HI ...

I read your message and inquiry of Deaf people in DR. I am also a Interpreter and my parents are Deaf. I live in Canada. I had the opportunity to visit a deaf school built with funds raised in Ottawa, Canada. The deaf school is located in Puerto Plata and has deaf children from ages 5 to at least 19. I was able to communicate with them without too many problems..mostly by adjusting signs...their sign language is very similar to what deaf people use in North America. I brought some sign language videos and stories of Deaf culture and history here and at the Deaf University Gallaudet in Washington, DC. They have plans for a vocational program and hopefully in the next year a computer lab. At present, there are no Interpreters there...the teaching staff have some sign language but were not fluent users of the language.

I have met deaf people on the street further east of puerto plata in the rio san juan area - 1 person uses his own home sign - his friends and family would understand...we could communicate but on a limited level. Another was completely oral speaking and did not use sign language. And another was hard of hearing and used speech.

The Deaf people in North America certainly have attained much more respect here than the Deaf in Dominican Republic. The Deaf community there is slowly coming together to educate the public. It is a step in the right direction for these people.

The Deaf centre that I am involved with has also made a visit to the school and we intend to keep in touch and offer whatever support we can. The Rotary club has ties with this particular school. If you want more information you can contact the Ottawa - West Rotary Club or I can email you the Rotary contact I have in Puerto Plata.

Massage therapy....my aunt was in Sosua for about 1 month and she got some work..3 clients a day doing reiki treatments. So..i am assuming that you could find work and if you intend to stay in DR for a lengthly amount of time you would have to get the proper documents to work in the country.

Good Luck !

Roxanne

eric

Feb 13, 2002
Hey MommC

You must not have read the beginning of this thread,she said she is coming from the states!More than likely she is American.You know what a bunch of arrogant,uneducated,slobs we are!Are you sure you want to meet her?P.S. Corona: please excuse my foray into this thread.It has nothing to do with you,its a running joke between me and MommC.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Well Eric......

contrary to popular belief......a lot of the Americans I've meet outside the States are not uneducated or arrogant or uniformed. Guess it's because they've travelled....??? Who knows?
(not to be confused with the guy in a Michelin 5 star restaurant in Rome Italy, who after dinner tipped back his chair, put his alligator cowboy boots shod feet on the table and proceeded to like a cheap, smelly cigar! or the ex-marine giving a hard time to a clerk in a gift shop in Juan Dolio who tried to tell her in English that she should be giving him the merchandise for free 'cause he "saved" her from Castro back in '62-about 20 yrs before she was born!!).
jump1.gif

Anyhow...Corona seems to be someone I'd like to meet -who thinks more about others than herself and is not concerned with the ALmighty Geenback!!

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
I have met a few Canadians that weren't complete assholes. I met one in Sosua I think. I met a Canadian who was trying to not pay a food bill because he didn't bring enough money. He was trying to get the food for free. That was funny. I also met some Canadians that started a tremendous fight in a bar in Cabarete. Hmmm... I bet there just may be a few more Canadians I can meet that aren't complete dopes that even may have a few teeth in their heads. You have teeth mommc? Just curious not having met and all.

Did you know that there are a lot of people making big money working with both the disinfranchised and the handicapped?

Working with people with multible handicaps doesn't mean that they are not concerned with money.

The only people I have ever met that weren't concerned with money have been filthy rich. Isn't that funny?

You try to take free shots at Americans just as AZB tries to take the free shots at Jews. Guess you haven't learned in all your years that there "Ain't no free shots".

Corona does seem to be a nice pleasant person. Maybe some day I will meet her.

Corona

Apr 18, 2002
Heck, I'd really like to meet you all... (I think... LOL!!) Since you don't know me yet, you can't perceive what my motives are.
I will leave that to you for AFTER we've met! That's only fair, right?
If you want class, I can exhibit that. If you want 'down home', I can do that. If you like something in-between, hey, count me in!
I blend well in the circumstances and environment in which I find myself. I like people. I'm pretty straight-forward in a quiet kind of way. I also know how to party hearty! I will certainly look forward to meeting you, one human being to another -- I want to get around the DR and see what is to be seen there.
Catch ya later!

P.S. I don't know (really) what Reiki is. I have never seen it demonstrated, nor been a recipient. I don't have much of a background in workshops and schooling-- I just do what it is I do.
I can see value in having more semantics at my disposal for the sake of discussion. That is not the case for me at this time, however! Actually, "body work" and "energy work" are the only two labels I've picked up! I am not coming to the DR to make millions off anyone, for anyone, or because of anyone! I want to eat new foods. I want to be somewhere hot enough to wear a bikini when I'm home, or a nice guaze wrap, somewhere there is a lot of light and where the ocean is. I want to meet different, interesting people. I want to be left alone sometimes. I want to learn new things. That is pretty much it. I may write a book in my spare time, who knows? Or I may just sip a great smooth wine (jazzcom will have to select THE right one for me, I know nothing...) while I watch the sun set and have my way with my guy... that's pretty much it for me. You should see my dreams!

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Wow Corona.......

You sound more like me with each post......If you like good wine I'm real fussy about that stuff (mostly make my own.....even in the DR) so I can help you pick. Even tho' hubby is Italian he lets me do the wine choosing....he'll drink stuff I wouldn't touch with a 10 ft.pole.
We used to buy a real nice Lambrusco when we 'd be in New York state about 30 yrs ago but we can't find it anymore when we're there. I'm partial to white wine but the other half is more of the red variety! I know the red has more medicinal value but .....there's no accounting for taste is there.
I'm a bit of a herbalist myself....my daughter-in-law shocked me yesterday by calling me up to ask for a home remedy!! She's usually an "only if the Dr. orders it" type but she didn't want to take antibiotics again cause she's had them twice this winter for the "bugs" that have been going round. I grow a lot of my own herbs and dry a variety of natures goodness every year to pass out to friends. My home grown rose hip tea is to die for!!
Think I'll go get a cup!