Inversor batteries

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
the lithium prices will shock you.

If I were 10 years younger I'd be looking at them but at this stage of my life I'm hoping these guys I bought today will still be around when I'm not.

At least with these, I've been blessed with no need to check water level in batteries every day. That's a huge win for me.

By the way, if you go for gel 6V deep cycle batteries, they're less than 100 dollars each if you get the 200Ah ones.

Oh, and the battery guy told me not to go with the Optima car battery. Excellent for cars, not so much for inverters.

Reactions: LindseyKaufman

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I kept resisting buying new batteries because I hardly ever have blackouts. Maybe once a month or so the electricity goes off for 5 or 10 minutes, so I couldn't convince myself to do it.

I tried reconditioning the 4 Trace batteries and it didn't seem to help at all. I'd turn off the electricity and they would conk out in a few minutes. Gonzo.

So, I finally bit the bullet and went with 2 of the 400Ah gel batteries. 25K for 2 and 1k for delivery from Santo Domingo.

I gave the kid my 4 old Trace 235s for a tip.

I discovered how old I am when I tried to pick one up and move it. I couldn't. They have to be over 100 lbs each. I ended up putting them on a rubber mat under my inverter on the floor.

Hopefully he could sell them to the recycling guy
Be honest did you give out walnuts at Halloween?

• Haha
Reactions: JD Jones

XTraveller

Aug 21, 2010
I kept resisting buying new batteries because I hardly ever have blackouts. Maybe once a month or so the electricity goes off for 5 or 10 minutes, so I couldn't convince myself to do it.

I tried reconditioning the 4 Trace batteries and it didn't seem to help at all. I'd turn off the electricity and they would conk out in a few minutes. Gonzo.

So, I finally bit the bullet and went with 2 of the 400Ah gel batteries. 25K for 2 and 1k for delivery from Santo Domingo.

I gave the kid my 4 old Trace 235s for a tip.

I discovered how old I am when I tried to pick one up and move it. I couldn't. They have to be over 100 lbs each. I ended up putting them on a rubber mat under my inverter on the floor.

Let us know the performance of the gel batteries. To compare oranges to oranges form what I understand you now have 2 12v gel batteries for a 24v system therefore total 400 AH on a 24v system.

More than likely your old lead acid batteries were 4 6volts batteries to make 24 volt, but what was the AH rating for these batteries?

Want I am getting to is for the same AH rating on a 24v system which type of battery would last longer.

If more or less the same the gel batteries would be better because of the low maintenance, no one likes to clean and add water weekly.
Also do the gell batteries have stainless steel post or lead post, this makes a big difference for corrosion. The intercell connectors are they stainless steel?

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Let us know the performance of the gel batteries. To compare oranges to oranges form what I understand you now have 2 12v gel batteries for a 24v system therefore total 400 AH on a 24v system.
That's correct. What I'm not sure of is if it's a combined total of 800Ah.
More than likely your old lead acid batteries were 4 6volts batteries to make 24 volt, but what was the AH rating for these batteries?
Correct again. As I understand it, the old "235" means they are 235Ah batteries. So 4 batteries would be 940Ah, if I understand correctly.
The new gel batteries are 400Ah each, so 800Ah total.

Complete overkill for 10 minute power outages every 2 months or so. lol

Want I am getting to is for the same AH rating on a 24v system which type of battery would last longer.
We gotta ask Windy when he comes back. As I understand it, Lithium is better than Gel, and Gel is better than wet batteries.
The only difference between wet and gel batteries is the liquid around the plates inside.

Wet batteries need regular maintenance, gel is maintenance free.

If more or less the same the gel batteries would be better because of the low maintenance, no one likes to clean and add water weekly.
Also do the gell batteries have stainless steel post or lead post, this makes a big difference for corrosion. The intercell connectors are they stainless steel?
The terminals are not shiny like stainless steel but the bolts that came with it are stainless. I'm only using one jumper with copper terminals from the old battery set up.

I gooped up the connections with dielectric grease, which I do on every electric connection I do on anything.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Hopefully he could sell them to the recycling guy
Be honest did you give out walnuts at Halloween?

Hey, killed two birds with one stone. I'm too old to be dealing with lugging batteries around to sell them.

You got something against walnuts?:unsure:

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Hey, killed two birds with one stone. I'm too old to be dealing with lugging batteries around to sell them.

You got something against walnuts?:unsure:
Yes it is sad when you try to lift something that you used to effortlessly throw around as a younger man (maybe like a full figured GF), and realize it just ain't in the cards anymore.

Seriously - unshelled walnuts for a Halloween bag?
I'm organizing a brigade to TP your home ASAP

Nov 9, 2023
SC

Correct again. As I understand it, the old "235" means they are 235Ah batteries. So 4 batteries would be 940Ah, if I understand correctly.

Nope. In series you up the voltage but amps stay the same.
So 4x 6V 235amp batteries are 235 amps at 24V
2x 12V 400amp batteries are 400 amps at 24V
Actually you almost doubled your backup, congratulations!

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Nope. In series you up the voltage but amps stay the same.
So 4x 6V 235amp batteries are 235 amps at 24V
2x 12V 400amp batteries are 400 amps at 24V
Actually you almost doubled your backup, congratulations!
I'll take it. Thanks for the the explanation!

But what goes up when you have multiple batteries in parallel? Say, 10 12V 400Ah batteries. Or a hundred for that matter.

What increases?

Nov 9, 2023
SC
I'll take it. Thanks for the the explanation!

But what goes up when you have multiple batteries in parallel? Say, 10 12V 400Ah batteries. Or a hundred for that matter.

What increases?
In parallel you will add up the amps but the voltage stays the same.
So 10 12V 400amps is 4000 amps at 12V.
Put them in series you will have 400 amps at 120V. Now the total available watts are the same at 48000 which makes sense because they are the same batteries and capacity . The volts x amps = watts formula I posted before I find very useful to match electrical stuff.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
I got it. I think. So in series connections like mine, the volts go up and the amps stay the same, in parallel the amps go up with each extra battery but the volts remain the same. .

Thanks again.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
JD,
Where did you source the gel batteries?
A guy I found on Facebook.

There are tons of ads for gel batteries on FB. The problem is when they have a picture of a 400Ah battery and put a price of 5000 pesos, but when you write to confirm, they say they sold all the 400Ah ones and all they have now is 200Ah.

I went through probably a dozen vendors before I found the ones I bought.

FWIW, the 400Ah battery is twice as big or bigger than 2 200Ah batteries. No wonder they're so darn heavy.

Last edited:

XTraveller

Aug 21, 2010

We gotta ask Windy when he comes back. As I understand it, Lithium is better than Gel, and Gel is better than wet batteries.
The only difference between wet and gel batteries is the liquid around the plates inside.

Wet batteries need regular maintenance, gel is maintenance free.

The terminals are not shiny like stainless steel but the bolts that came with it are stainless. I'm only using one jumper with copper terminals from the old battery set up.

I gooped up the connections with dielectric grease, which I do on every electric connection I do on anything.
If you have a 24 inverter system, then your 2 12v batteries are in Series (the cable between them is connected POS + to Neg-).
In Series the voltage adds up (2x12v=24volts) and the current (amps) does not add up, therefore total amp 400 AH.

If the battery terminals are stainless ( can tell if it look like soft and dual then lead post, if hard steel then stainless). Its better not to mix the type of steel for the connectors). Better if you can find jumper with stainless steel connectors.
Non oxide grease good but only small thin coat.

In your old 4 battery system it was 4 6volts battery( which is common here, like the red trojan), 2 connected in parallel and then the 2 connect in series with 2 others. Total amperes was 2x235=470 AH

In summary connections in series: voltage add up and connections: in parallel amps add up.
Connections in Series is POS+ to Neg- and connections in parallel is POS+ to POS+ and Neg- to Neg-

I work many years in phone company power plants, all have huge lead acid batteries in Central offices and gel batteries in remote location like micro wave or fiber optic/cell towers.

In general the gel batteries had a slightly higher float and equalise voltage than the lead acid.

Only time will tell you which was better, for starters gel less maintenance.

XTraveller

Aug 21, 2010
If you have a 24 inverter system, then your 2 12v batteries are in Series (the cable between them is connected POS + to Neg-).
In Series the voltage adds up (2x12v=24volts) and the current (amps) does not add up, therefore total amp 400 AH.

If the battery terminals are stainless ( can tell if it look like soft and dual then lead post, if hard steel then stainless). Its better not to mix the type of steel for the connectors). Better if you can find jumper with stainless steel connectors.
Non oxide grease good but only small thin coat.

In your old 4 battery system it was 4 6volts battery( which is common here, like the red trojan), 2 connected in parallel and then the 2 connect in series with 2 others. Total amperes was 2x235=470 AH

In summary connections in series: voltage add up and connections: in parallel amps add up.
Connections in Series is POS+ to Neg- and connections in parallel is POS+ to POS+ and Neg- to Neg-

I work many years in phone company power plants, all have huge lead acid batteries in Central offices and gel batteries in remote location like micro wave or fiber optic/cell towers.

In general the gel batteries had a slightly higher float and equalise voltage than the lead acid.

Only time will tell you which was better, for starters gel less maintenance.
Sorry I error in your old 4 6volts battery, its 4 6volts in series to make 24v system, therefore Total amps = 235 AH,
Unless they were 4 12 volt batteries.

Reactions: JD Jones