Inversores

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Mountainfrog has the BEST electric solutions I have even seen in the DR.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
xantrex

You can go to Xantrex Technology Inc. and compare all there inverters and specifications. My DR 3624 does not handle the SURGE and "pops" the breaker. I had a SW 5548 Plus with automatic generator start shipped down and have no problems with SURGE and can disconnect from the grid during peak power usage and go to generator as/when needed. (Could not find the SW series in the D.R.)

So the bottom line is the Xantrex SW series is the only way to go in the D.R.? And the "dr" model is ng in the D.R.

Which is too bad, because the dr series is under 50 pounds and suitcaseable, while the sw series is 100 lbs!

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
So the bottom line is the Xantrex SW series is the only way to go in the D.R.? And the "dr" model is ng in the D.R.

Which is too bad, because the dr series is under 50 pounds and suitcaseable, while the sw series is 100 lbs!
Nay, Nay, amigo.
The DR series is so named, as it was designed with the DR (the country) in mind.
Ringo's breaker that pops is not from surge.
It's from overload.
Of course, a 5,500 watt unit will handle more than a 3,600.
It has nothing to do with SW or DR series, simply the capacity.
The DR series are fantastic and are widely used here.
Surely 99% of the Trace/Xantrex inverters in this country, are the DR series, and they work just fine.

Luperon

Jun 28, 2004
Nay, Nay, amigo.
The DR series is so named, as it was designed with the DR (the country) in mind.
Ringo's breaker that pops is not from surge.
It's from overload.
Of course, a 5,500 watt unit will handle more than a 3,600.
It has nothing to do with SW or DR series, simply the capacity.
The DR series are fantastic and are widely used here.
Surely 99% of the Trace/Xantrex inverters in this country, are the DR series, and they work just fine.

Thanks Rocky, I did not even realize that the dr series was for the DR! I read somewhere that the DR series was not compatible with certain Fluorescent lighting and other sensitive electric equipment. Is this true?

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Thanks Rocky, I did not even realize that the dr series was for the DR! I read somewhere that the DR series was not compatible with certain Fluorescent lighting and other sensitive electric equipment. Is this true?
That would be in reference to not being true sine wave units.
For all electrical devices to work perfectly, they need sine wave, which lower priced inverters do not supply.
Most good inverter companies, have a "luxury" line of products that are true sinewave, but they are extremely expensive, relative to the power supply.
Very few people buy them, and most of us just live with the minor inconveniences, such as a buzzing sound from fans/motors, etc.
In short, if you're a millionaire, look for a true sine wave unit. (Xantrex sells them)
If not, the DR series are the best bang for the buck.

Luperon

Jun 28, 2004
That would be in reference to not being true sine wave units.
For all electrical devices to work perfectly, they need sine wave, which lower priced inverters do not supply.
Most good inverter companies, have a "luxury" line of products that are true sinewave, but they are extremely expensive, relative to the power supply.
Very few people buy them, and most of us just live with the minor inconveniences, such as a buzzing sound from fans/motors, etc.
In short, if you're a millionaire, look for a true sine wave unit. (Xantrex sells them)
If not, the DR series are the best bang for the buck.

As long as it does not damage anything it seems the dr series is the way to go, I will try to bring one in a suitcase as it is about 45 pounds for the 3600w. However I HATE buzzing ceiling fans, it would really bother me. Is there a way top avoid that buzz?

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
As long as it does not damage anything it seems the dr series is the way to go, I will try to bring one in a suitcase as it is about 45 pounds for the 3600w. However I HATE buzzing ceiling fans, it would really bother me. Is there a way top avoid that buzz?
Not that I know of.
It is however true that certain models or brands buzz more, and some less.
If you could somehow research this, you might be able to acquire a ceiling fan that has very little buzz, but it would be quite a task.
It's not as if there's a website you could go to, or a store that would know what you are talking about.
You would have to luck out, when you're at a friend's house, happen to notice that his/her fan doesn't buzz much when on inverter, then manage to buy the same model.
In short, I have never managed to do it that way.
I certainly have bought fans that I was pleased to notice, buzzed very little, just as I have bought some that buzzed like the devil.
There are 3 possibilities.
1) Another poster sees this and tells you where to go to buy which model of ceiling fan that hardly buzzes.
2) Buy a sine wave inverter.
3) Live with it.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
The Xantex 3624 is a good unit for limited power required. I have one, but found that the surge handling ability was limited and "popped" the breaker often. This may have been partly due to bad wireing that I had redone 3 times. Noise in fans, microwave will be a little different as well as refer, all work.. but different. Flor. lights may not work. Dimmer switches may not work. Security systems, may not work.

I still use the 3624 for some areas, but went to the Xantrax 5548 with full sine wave. No problems as above. Much higher surge capacity and will supliment grid power (brown outs) as needed. Also has auto gen. start/stop module as well as a lot of extras. About 135 lbs. and a lot more money. (I'm not a millionaire.) I first figured that the 3624 would be enough and it was not. So I have learned an expensive lesson.

I suggest you look at all in data in the Xantrax site.

Good luck. Ringo

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
The Xantex 3624 is a good unit for limited power required.
If you call 3.6 K, limited.
I run Rocky's on a DR3624 and it runs just fine.
1,600 square meters, but I do not run fridges, AC's, pumps (except in emergencies)

I have one, but found that the surge handling ability was limited and "popped" the breaker often.
They are actually 30 AMP breakers, not surge protectors. It would appear that you are consuming more than the rated capacity of that unit. This does not indicate a failure or weakness of the unit. It indicates that you bought a unit too small for your usage.

This may have been partly due to bad wireing that I had redone 3 times.
Undersized wiring, will cause problems.

Noise in fans, microwave will be a little different as well as refer, all work.. but different. Flor. lights may not work. Dimmer switches may not work. Security systems, may not work.
All my lights and dimmers work fine.

I still use the 3624 for some areas, but went to the Xantrax 5548 with full sine wave. No problems as above. Much higher surge capacity and will supliment grid power (brown outs) as needed. Also has auto gen. start/stop module as well as a lot of extras. About 135 lbs. and a lot more money. (I'm not a millionaire.) I first figured that the 3624 would be enough and it was not. So I have learned an expensive lesson.

Good luck. Ringo
Bear in mind that the brand is Xantrex, not Xantrax, which I believe may be an anti-depressant.

Luperon

Jun 28, 2004
anti depressants

The Xantex 3624 is a good unit for limited power required. I have one, but found that the surge handling ability was limited and "popped" the breaker often. This may have been partly due to bad wireing that I had redone 3 times. Noise in fans, microwave will be a little different as well as refer, all work.. but different. Flor. lights may not work. Dimmer switches may not work. Security systems, may not work.

Good luck. Ringo

Thanks, this is all a lot of great info. I can live with fan buzz.... but security systems? I would not want anyone getting over the electic fence with my propoane tank! And what about the stun gun recharger? (Just kidding) I will keep on reading and put off the decision as long as possible.

Thanks again!

Feb 7, 2007
First of all that 80,000 peso "Guestimate"is a JOKE!
A "Planta"is the only way to carry that load.
Listen to "ROCKY"! Better yet,visit him and see his "Set Up"!
CC

Now that I am a partner in the "inverter manufacturing company" I know it is not a joke, and a 12KW-24V inverter can be produced at about 10-12.000 pesos. Sold at about 50-60.000. Count about 12 batteries, 6V each, at about 2600, you are at 32.000, plus inverter cost = you are at 82 to 92.000 pesos, inverter PLUS batteries.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Today I saw
Trojan T-105 at 4,000 RD$
and
Exide Deep Cycle Battery for inverters at 3,500 RD$.
Both in Las Terrenas...

Four years ago I had bought Trojan T-105 at 70 US$.

m'frog
As you said, years ago they were cheaper.
We averaged $85 to $90 US for good batteries.
Now $110 to $125 is the range.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Now that I am a partner in the "inverter manufacturing company" I know it is not a joke, and a 12KW-24V inverter can be produced at about 10-12.000 pesos. Sold at about 50-60.000. Count about 12 batteries, 6V each, at about 2600, you are at 32.000, plus inverter cost = you are at 82 to 92.000 pesos, inverter PLUS batteries.
CC would have been referring to what we consider to be top shelf units, like Trace/Xantrex, and not locally made.
I can well imagine that if you are a partner in the manufacturing of these units, you would feel that your product is every bit as good, but years of experience have taught us that not only do they not supply the rated power, but they buckle under when strained with short periods of "over-rating" consumption, plus they break more frequently, and lastly, they don't pamper batteries, thus sharply reduce battery life.
Of course, you get what you pay for, and nobody should expect an $80,000 pesos system be equivalent to one double it's price.