Inverter Battery Opinions

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
what? it says trojan black on them and they work. they look just like those:

1zywygi.jpg

Trojan in the USA says. I called them. If you look at their web site, you will also notice the lack of that battery in their product list. Those Trojan blacks sold here are fake and are scamming people on the name Trojan.

I agree that Trojan T-105 Red batteries are the best option for here. Gel batteries are good, but more expensive in the long run and best suited for installations that are remote. La Sirena is a good place to get fresh ones.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
Alright, so when you say "different battery banks is ok" what do you mean by "bank"? How does one create a separate bank of batteries in an installation where currently all batteries are wired one after another in series?

T105's are 6 volt. Connect two pos to neg, and you have a 12v. Have four 12v and you have a bank. Two sets, and you have 2 banks

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Trojan in the USA says. I called them. If you look at their web site, you will also notice the lack of that battery in their product list. Those Trojan blacks sold here are fake and are scamming people on the name Trojan.

i trust you know what you are talking about. all i can say is that these work and so far so good but i will make sure to insist on trojan red next time around. with our power being so good now we may just need 4 and the expense is not going to leave me begging for 5 pesos on the malecon.

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
JD , This has been discussed many times and I have put the picture below to show my arrangement with 12 batteries. As you can see the front row is a mixed row where one went bad amongst some 4 year old ones and was replaced with one three years old which would have similar characteristics to the rest in that bank. The new ones were at the back ( Exide G90) and not connected directly to the feed cables from the invertor but off set by one link. The middle row where also old so the direct feed went to them. That was the arrangement at July 2013 so about 20 months ago. This only applies to Flooded Lead Acid Batteries and I dont think it applies to Gel Types

IMG_0770_zpsn7jzqsce.jpg

IMG_0768_zpssswqm3b7.jpg

The front row was replaced by a new set in August 2013 with US 245 Diamonf plate technology Batteries for about RD$22,000 . The old ones were sold for RD$ 700 each. like this :

IMG_3824_zpskajj6rgq.jpg

This photo was taken 22 Jan 2015 we are now going to replace the middle row with four new ones.!. The main feed will be moved to the back bank and the red ones move next to them , the new ones will go in the front and be two links away from the main feeds.

The point is to check you batteries with a load tester like this and ensure they all read "GOOD" before including them.

IMG_0774_zpso837hpvc.jpg

There is another side to this discussion. If one battery is bad as is often the case I have found that "Electricians" will recommend replacing all batteries since this is a safe and lucrative bet on their part. Four new batteries - RD$20000, fitting etc say Rd$3000 - everybody happy - you bet!! Electrician then sells the three "good " Batteries he has just taken out for RD$ 2000 each = RD$6000 , and the scrap battery for RD$700 - Not bad !!! Think what this would be with twelve.

Happy customer, RD$9700 for the job! Happy "Electrician" - an interesting "SCAM" !!!

Think about it !

Olly and the Team

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
On the Trojan Blacks , we have had experience of one of 4 new Trojan Blacks going within a month , It was under gurantee so it was replaced. With the same person , another one went after 20 months and was goung to be replaced with a used Battery 2 years old.

This is not the first time we have heard this about Trojan Blacks. so consider US 245 at La Serana.

OLly and the Team

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
i dont know about their availability on the american market, which usually is what we get available here in DR, too.
the Troyan Black Box 6Volt 210ah batteries def do exist in autralia, run for around US$180.- per piece, while the red t-105 is a 6V 215ah pack and should cost around US$250.- per piece. the Troyan Red is def the top horse to run with, ask around boater communities and they will recommend the red T-105 as the only one to look on, they are long lasting and very forgiving ionce you f.ucked 'em up for what ever reason, they come back to life.
i cant comment on fakes or such sold down here , i have no experience with such, but there def does NOT exist and Black Troyan t-105, the original black troyans have a different type name and are not the same battery as the t-105

Mike

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
I know what you're trying to say, but that didn't sound right at all..:rolleyes:

FWIW, I had a 12 batteries for my 24V inverter, which means I had 3 "banks" of 24V (4 x 6V = 24V = 1 bank) but I've always been told not to change just one of 4, or one of 12 for that matter.

Supposedly 1 battery will contribute to the deterioration of the other 11 (or whatever quantity you have)

Thanks JD, and was being rushed and had to cut the post short, so I appreciate your explanation. I also agree, that when you change 1 battery on a bank, change them all. Two different banks can be different age, but weak batteries will kill strong batteries.

fuchs4d

Mar 7, 2004
Beware of fake batterie brands

Are you sure someone did not swap / steal your batteries with bad ones while you were away?

Once came accross a "Trogan - Heaviest battery in the industrie" imitation of "Trogan"

Label was not well aligned and missing informations like "Made in..." and brand was misspelled.

Dealer claimed to have bought it directly from distributer in SD.

Does not take a genious to produce nice labels and put in on a no name batterie.

Original brand products are referred to as "Original", because they are the exception for Nike, Pefumes etc and not the rule.

Alexander

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Update.

Yesterday a new inverter guy came to the house to check everything out. The inverter is working perfectly. One of the 4 original red trojans was bad. The guy said the same that we've been hearing - that there are a lot of complaints about the newer T105s. He thinks that a lot of them have been refurbished and sold as new. He recommended either buying new ones at La Sirena, where hopefully they are genuine/new, or buying Interstate or Napa.

While we were talking, I remembered that the old inverter guy I mentioned above had left the one battery at our maid's house, and it was sitting in our garage. We weren't sure what kind of shape it was in, but they swapped out the one bad battery for the one he had left, and so far so good. Holding a charge and the refrigerator is now safe.

Time to go shopping.

ANOTHER QUESTION: The fridge [full size GE] is by itself on a 3.0 inverter. Could we add a small chest freezer to the same line/inverter, or will that damage/ blow the inverter?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
On the Trojan Blacks , we have had experience of one of 4 new Trojan Blacks going within a month , It was under gurantee so it was replaced. With the same person , another one went after 20 months and was goung to be replaced with a used Battery 2 years old.

This is not the first time we have heard this about Trojan Blacks. so consider US 245 at La Serana.

OLly and the Team

TRACE also never made batteries. I see someone has pictures of TRACE batteries above. Another example of someone putting a sticker on a battery and trying to achieve brand recognition, like the Trojan Black fake batteries.

I spoke to US Battery and their salesman told me that the US 245 is not a good battery for a tropical climate. Great battery for a cooler zone, but not here because the extra metal inside to get the higher amp/hour rating means they have less electrolyte which does not work as well in the DR. Trojan Red batteries are the best all around.

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Alter Ego ,
On the Freezer adding to the 3 Kw invertor I would only try it with one of AvTek Delay surge protector devices on the Freezer. The main problem is both compressors starting at once when you get the short break as you change over to the Invertor. The Avet device puts a delay of 3 minutes when a change over occurs with the invertor. I always recommend a 3.5 Invertor for your type of situation as the 3 is ok but a bit small! The Avetek NEvera devices are at La Serana POP for 525RD$ so not bad. Just bought one myself to replace one (Tonal ) that sacrificed itself.

Windeguy, We have had Trace Batteries and US 245 for a number of years and they have lasted well. You and I always seem to disagree on Batteries but the pictures I have posted are real and represent a trial I have been conducting for about 8 years now. The staggering of the purchase is much better than having to buy 12 all at once. The US 245 Batteries are doing fine after about 20 months and they are currently priced at about RD$4950 in our local La Serana compare with RD$5950 for Trojan Reds..

Having had this installation for TEN years now and kept records of what happens as you see in the photos perhaps you should reconsider your views.

Olly ( only )

Last edited:

tommeyers

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2012
I live in Santiago
I hope you find this related and helpful: Olly showed a snap of a load tester for batteries. I found that tester at Bell on/STI but .... Better than that : you can take your batteries to Bellon an they will test them for you with that tester!

ZC1

Dec 8, 2013
Genuine "Reds"!

Over 10 yrs, none have come close, period!

Good info on this thread - I have a question that may sound ignorant but I truly do not know the answer. Where I live (Colonial Zone) we are fortunate to have electric 24/7 for weeks at a time, sometimes months. Thus I have not invested in an inverter instead relying on a small gas powered generator for times we are without power. That said, I find the noise of the generator to be a problem and want an inverter. Will upwards of three months without use ruin the batteries?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Good info on this thread - I have a question that may sound ignorant but I truly do not know the answer. Where I live (Colonial Zone) we are fortunate to have electric 24/7 for weeks at a time, sometimes months. Thus I have not invested in an inverter instead relying on a small gas powered generator for times we are without power. That said, I find the noise of the generator to be a problem and want an inverter. Will upwards of three months without use ruin the batteries?

In your case with almost 24/7 power, the inverter will keep the batteries fully charged which is good for them. However, if they are not used, or used just short times each month, the electrolyte will stratify and eventually damage the batteries. The solution is to get an inverter with an equalization mode which will "stir up" the electrolyte and prolong the life of the batteries. Do that equalization once a month and the batteries will last for years.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
In your case with almost 24/7 power, the inverter will keep the batteries fully charged which is good for them. However, if they are not used, or used just short times each month, the electrolyte will stratify and eventually damage the batteries. The solution is to get an inverter with an equalization mode which will "stir up" the electrolyte and prolong the life of the batteries. Do that equalization once a month and the batteries will last for years.

or you just run willingly/without ocuring any power-out on inverter power, shut down your regular electricity for a couple hours every once in a while, maybe every other week.
when the power in your area goes down every so long, for how long is it gone? just for a couple hours or for very long periods of time?

Mike

ZC1

Dec 8, 2013
or you just run willingly/without ocuring any power-out on inverter power, shut down your regular electricity for a couple hours every once in a while, maybe every other week.
when the power in your area goes down every so long, for how long is it gone? just for a couple hours or for very long periods of time?

Mike

Thank you for the advice. When it goes down it is usually just a couple of hours but we have had incidents that last upwards of 16 hours. One time a truck knocked down a pole and like dominoes three other poles fell. Eventually they will start the process of connecting the electric underground on the recently reconstructed streets and I figure that will result in a cluster, thus I want to be ready. I think the advice given by you, Windguy and Criss is all good. I appreciate it the feedback.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Update:

We went to La Sirena in San Cristobal yesterday for food shopping and to buy batteries. Figured that they'd have to be genuine/new there. Got to the battery aisle and looked at the choices - right next to the red T105 Trojans were black Trojans and two different Trace batteries. According to this thread, there are no "real" black Trojans, and Trace doesn't make batteries. Made us suspect the red T105s at that point. Guy came over to help us, and after he assured us that they are all real, Mr. AE asked him which he would buy if it was for HIS house. No hesitation, he pointed to the Interstate batteries.

So that's what we bought, Mr. AE installed yesterday afternoon, crossing our fingers........

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Update:

We went to La Sirena in San Cristobal yesterday for food shopping and to buy batteries. Figured that they'd have to be genuine/new there. Got to the battery aisle and looked at the choices - right next to the red T105 Trojans were black Trojans and two different Trace batteries. According to this thread, there are no "real" black Trojans, and Trace doesn't make batteries. Made us :bandit: red T105s at that point. Guy came over to help us, and after he assured us that they are all real, Mr. AE asked him which he would buy if it was for HIS house. No hesitation, he pointed to the Interstate batteries.

So that's what we bought, Mr. AE installed yesterday afternoon, crossing our fingers........

The Trojan Black Batteries are real. As you were able to see first hand. They just have nothing to do with the company Trojan who makes Trojan Red batteries:bandit:

The Trace Batteries once again real. But at this time there is no American company called Trace and Trace in the US never made batteries :bandit:

Interstate also makes good batteries. I use their batteries for cars. I suspect their deep cycle batteries are also good. What is the model of Interstate battery you have?