iphone 4 micro sim...available in the DR?

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
Have just upgraded my iphone but have discovered that apple are up to their old tricks or making it incompatible with normal simcards...bravo Mr Jobs!

So, a question...any iphone 4 owners managed to acquire a micro-sim from Orange in the DR (not on contract but PAYG)

Thanks...K

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Have just upgraded my iphone but have discovered that apple are up to their old tricks or making it incompatible with normal simcards...bravo Mr Jobs!

So, a question...any iphone 4 owners managed to acquire a micro-sim from Orange in the DR (not on contract but PAYG)

Thanks...K
In order to use your iphone 4 in the DR it has to be unlocked or if it's locked use a Gevey chip. I think Claro carry the micro chip but you can allways cut a standard size chip to fit the phone. (Worked for me).

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010

Thanks...K

Yes, both Orange and Claro have micro-sims - the small stores may not have them but the larger stores do, e.g. the ones on Calle del Sol in Santiago.

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
Aha, that's the answer i was looking for VJ
I assume i will be able to transfer my existing number to the new micro-sim?

As for trimming a regular simcard...i have just tried that here in the UK with my english sim and it didnt work...so now i cant use my phone :(

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
Aha, that's the answer i was looking for VJ
I assume i will be able to transfer my existing number to the new micro-sim?

As for trimming a regular simcard...i have just tried that here in the UK with my english sim and it didnt work...so now i cant use my phone :(

to transfer your existing DR number with the same service provider? - yes, that's easy - bring your passport/cedula and they'll cancel your old sim and transfer the number to the new one.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
to transfer your existing DR number with the same service provider? - yes, that's easy - bring your passport/cedula and they'll cancel your old sim and transfer the number to the new one.

I also understand it is now a law in the DR that your number is portable to all service providers here. You should be able to take your current number with you when changing telephone companies. That said, I cannot prove it because I don't use a cell phone.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Gotta love Apple for trying to make even a SIM card "proprietary".
If you can't find it here, a quick search of Ebay will get you there.

For example there is a sim card cutter:

The first micro-SIM was developed by the European Telecommunications Standards Institute along with SCP, 3GPP (UTRAN/GERAN), 3GPP2 (CDMA2000), ARIB, GSMAssociaton (GSMA SCaG and GSMNA), GlobalPlatform, Liberty Alliance, and the Open Mobile Alliance (OMA) for the purpose of fitting into smaller devices such as cellular phones and other technologies.

I think you'll find most manufactures are starting to use micro-SIM's.