Irrigation Canal at Masacre River

ricpaq

May 21, 2015
For the most part, yes, but there's a very short section of the river that is entirely on the Haitian side of the border. That's where thy are digging the canal,.
I do see that some sections tend to be on each others side. I have seen a Telegram photo of the Haitians working on the canal. It appears to be only about 5 feet wide. Is that really a significant reroute of the water.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I do see that some sections tend to be on each others side. I have seen a Telegram photo of the Haitians working on the canal. It appears to be only about 5 feet wide. Is that really a significant reroute of the water.
The map I've seen only shows that one small section near Dajabon. I've seen claims from supposed engineers in the news that it could divet up to 3 cubic meters/sec. That's a significant portion of the flow if true.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
For a few days Dominican newspapers have run articles about a "mass emigration of Haitians" through the northern border. That is large numbers of Haitians are moving back to Haiti.

Now there is even a video about this. The suppose exodus is due to the conflict surrounding the Dajabón River.

What could be the extent of this? Is the mass emigration of Haitians throughout the DR or only those living in Dajabón and vicinity?

I know a couple who have gone back from the Cabarete area.

j_d66

Nov 1, 2012
Firstly, can the Dominicans please try to understand field reporting and audio. Secondly, what are the Haitians' rights to this body of water? Doesn't this have Dajabón as a source? I am confused as to the Haitian claim to this water.
Perhaps I am confused.

But isn't the Dominican Republic re opening their irrigation canal to divert water from the Dijabon river essentially the same thing that the Haitians are trying to accomplish with the construction of their canal?

And where will the dam go in that they are proposing to build. Since that river flows to the north I am trying to figure out where they would be putting it.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Perhaps I am confused.

But isn't the Dominican Republic re opening their irrigation canal to divert water from the Dijabon river essentially the same thing that the Haitians are trying to accomplish with the construction of their canal?
The DR is building it's canal to assure it still has its' share of the river water and to convince the Haitians that what they are doing is a really bad idea and not without consequences.
And where will the dam go in that they are proposing to build. Since that river flows to the north I am trying to figure out where they would be putting it.
Not sure where the dam will be(?).

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Just another view on it..

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
BTW, the reason for the canal is to supply water to the Jassa river which has all but dried up.

MoJoInDR

Banned
Aug 23, 2023
Austin, Texas

MoJoInDR

Banned
Aug 23, 2023
Austin, Texas
Reading the article that lifeisgreat gave a link to, as well as a few other articles on this matter, the fact that $1.2-$1.5-million in commerce is generated by Haitian's purchasing power in Dajabòn every week in just two days of trade is pretty compelling.

Is that US dollars? If so, that's not something to sneeze at... That's a good amount of coin.

Do these Haitian traders cross the border with US dollars... If so, where would they get these US dollars from? And if not, do they have DR currency? Surely the DR traders don't trade in Haitian currency.

What exactly is this money being spent on... And is there a business opportunity here to replace the DR-side traders with traders on the Haitian side... Meaning, could the same goods be shipped in from other sources and be offered for sale on the Haitian-side, effectively cutting out the need for the DR-side.

Or are the goods that are available on the DR-side being sold at prices that imported items couldn't match?

It would be interesting to see a third party load up containers with goods that duplicate those on the DR-side, ship them to Ouanaminthe and make the DR-side trade unnecessary... Possibly for the foreseeable future.