Is 1 July the official date for reopening the tourism industry?

Sep 22, 2009
resident- nonresident... the virus doesn't differentiate
neither will the police/medicos

the arrival stamp is what they want
and Yes..... you are always supposed to have your ID as a tourist/visitor/nonresident
to prove your arrival date
Well, theoretically/legally, any person who leaves their home/hotel/cabaña should be carrying a valid form of ID.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
And it will be a totally different story in each part of the USA, even upstate NY versus NY City. If a current CV-19 test is a requirement to enter the DR, then tourism will be very slow until that requirement is no longer needed.

Tourism will be slow, that s for sure.
The ideal would be to test tourists upon arrival but I am not sure that s feasible if there aren't enough tests for Dominican themselves.

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
Makes one wonder what such an affidavit of health will cost to tourists from the USA in particular when they are part of an elective medical screening. Just a CV 19 negative test, or some type of physical in addition? No idea what such things would cost.

My friends in upstate NY tried to get tested regarding CV-19 and never heard back from the government about it. What a surprise. Easy? Not for them.

Winde,

have your friend go to the below link and enter their zip code and see if that helps. It should give your friend a list of facilities near the zip code. I would suggest they call before showing up. If your friend goes to a state run clinic then there will be no insurance papers to fill out.

If they go to a facility like a pharmacy then they may need to show insurance and the pharmacy will handle the rest.

Either case your friend will have zero out of pocket expenses. The government has guaranteed this.

If your friend has a hard time navigating the site, have them call the number listed.

Island Treats

Sep 5, 2003
SOSUALIVING.COM
Everyone seems to be in a rush to travel to the DR again, which is a joyous thing. However, one thing that keeps running through my mind is the quality of joy and fun one might expect during their time there.
I am booked F/C from Texas/Florida/DR—R/T for two weeks latter part of July.
I will probably cancel next week because I can’t envision myself really relaxing 😎 and having a joyous time while wearing a face mask in such humid conditions.
I don’t think that the time is right for reopening the DR yet.
People will not honor the social distancing regulations due to the facts of why we mainly vacation in the DR😉
Just my humble opinion.
I’m going to wait until November-December.

Reactions: Bob K and aarhus

drisforme

May 28, 2016
Everyone seems to be in a rush to travel to the DR again, which is a joyous thing. However, one thing that keeps running through my mind is the quality of joy and fun one might expect during their time there.
I am booked F/C from Texas/Florida/DR—R/T for two weeks latter part of July.
I will probably cancel next week because I can’t envision myself really relaxing 😎 and having a joyous time while wearing a face mask in such humid conditions.
I don’t think that the time is right for reopening the DR yet.
People will not honor the social distancing regulations due to the facts of why we mainly vacation in the DR😉
Just my humble opinion.
I’m going to wait until November-December.

How different it is from where you are ?

I live permanently in Cabarete and had to go back to the US for personal reason just a couple of weeks ago (bad timing but did not have any options) .
Stores such as Playero, Super Pola or Janet in Cabarete/Sosua have enforced the wear of mask and limit the number of people many many weeks before the US....
2 weeks ago ,I was on long islands in NY and did see that large super markets were enforcing masks ,limit the number of people and provided hand sanitizer at the entry of each store.
Michigan is completely a different story . Wear of mask ,limit of number of people are not common : Not in Home Depot or Target for example .

So, what is my point ...

Depending on where you are coming from and where you are planning to stay in DR ,you may have less or more chance to be exposed to COVID-19.
I am currently staying in a hotel in Michigan waiting for the border to re-open in DR
I definitively feel that i have less chance to be exposed to COVID-19 living in a community in DR than in Michigan ...where the WHO recommendations are not enforced .

FYI, I do wear mask and gloves everywhere I go but certainly not in my house in DR ;-)

Sep 22, 2009
Lo

I live permanently in Cabarete and had to go back to the US for personal reason just a couple of weeks ago (bad timing but did not have any options) .
Stores such as Playero, Super Pola or Janet in Cabarete/Sosua have enforced the wear of mask and limit the number of people many many weeks before the US....
2 weeks ago ,I was on long islands in NY and did see that large super markets were enforcing masks ,limit the number of people and provided hand sanitizer at the entry of each store.
Michigan is completely a different story . Wear of mask ,limit of number of people are not common : Not in Home Depot or Target for example .

So, what is my point ...

Depending on where you are coming from and where you are planning to stay in DR ,you may have less or more chance to be exposed to COVID-19.
I am currently staying in a hotel in Michigan waiting for the border to re-open in DR
I definitively feel that i have less chance to be exposed to COVID-19 living in a community in DR than in Michigan ...where the WHO recommendations are not enforced .

FYI, I do wear mask and gloves everywhere I go but certainly not in my house in DR ;-)
LongIslandsisforme

drisforme

May 28, 2016
Lo

LongIslandsisforme

:). I lived for almost 20 years on Long Islands and 3 years in Cabarete. DRIsDefinitivelyForMe .....Kiting in front of my house at 4pm and still working for the financial industry during the day... There is no comparison .... Day and Night

Sep 22, 2009
:). I lived for almost 20 years on Long Islands and 3 years in Cabarete. DRIsDefinitivelyForMe .....Kiting in front of my house at 4pm and still working for the financial industry during the day... There is no comparison .... Day and Night
Well I never lived on Long Islands but I was UES for many years and sat in traffic on the LIE enough to know the mob builds shit to break

Cabarete is open for kiting!

Island Treats

Sep 5, 2003
SOSUALIVING.COM

So, what is my point ...

My post was just based on and targeted more or less from a touristic point of view.
Having lived full time in Sosua for a number of years, as an expat, I get it! It’s the “hamster on the wheel effect” daily routine. However it’s a different operation as a tourist.
I’m privileged to travel the world on a constant basis and I too, practice safe habits and also yield to the scientists rather than the politicians for guidances.
Since we became aware of this (brute) Covid 19, it has changed the way we do our daily rituals.
I have traveled from Japan, Spain, France, China, Mexico and throughout the USA in the past 6 months, and believe me; my money is on the science not the politics.
So since my DR travel is for pleasure,
I’m going to wait until November or December.

Reactions: Timotero

Big

Apr 24, 2019

So, what is my point ...

S.W Florida you dont have to wear jack

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Winde,

have your friend go to the below link and enter their zip code and see if that helps. It should give your friend a list of facilities near the zip code. I would suggest they call before showing up. If your friend goes to a state run clinic then there will be no insurance papers to fill out.

If they go to a facility like a pharmacy then they may need to show insurance and the pharmacy will handle the rest.

Either case your friend will have zero out of pocket expenses. The government has guaranteed this.

If your friend has a hard time navigating the site, have them call the number listed.

I doubt they would meet the qualifications outlined on that very site which I suspect they went to and tried to arrange a test:

Below outlines the criteria for when a New Yorker is eligible for diagnostic COVID-19 testing. This criteria is subject to change based on test availability, testing capacity, and for public health reasons.

Diagnostic testing for COVID-19 shall be authorized by a health care provider when:

An individual is symptomatic or has a history of symptoms of COVID-19 (e.g. fever, cough, and/or trouble breathing), particularly if the individual is 70 years of age or older, the individual has a compromised immune system, or the individual has an underlying health condition

OR, An individual has had close (i.e. within six feet) or proximate contact with a person known to be positive with COVID-19

OR, An individual is subject to a precautionary or mandatory quarantine

OR, An individual is employed as a health care worker, first responder, or other essential worker who directly interacts with the public while working

OR, An individual presents with a case where the facts and circumstances – as determined by the treating clinician in consultation with state or local department of health officials – warrant testing

OR, An individual is included under other criteria set by the NYS Dept. of Health based on an individual's geographic place of residence, occupation, or other factors that the Department may deem relevant for COVID-19 testing purposes

OR, Any individual who would return to workplace in Phase 1

If they wanted to come to the DR, they would likely have to pay out of pocket for a CV19 test if their insurance doesn't cover it. As you can see from the above, it is not just walk in and get a free test. You have to meet one of the above criteria. They could lie about being in close contact with someone who had CV19, I suppose. My real point is that getting an Affidavit of Health is going to be a nightmare for many if that is required to enter the DR as a tourist.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Somehow, I don't think the affidavit requirement will ever happen. It is far too complicated and will deter too many visitors. They will probably have some kind of very basic test on arrival at the DR airport, such as checking your temperature. Just my feeling, but of course nobody knows for sure.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Reminds me of that other thread...
When will DR open for International travel??????

Reactions: aarhus

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I doubt they would meet the qualifications outlined on that very site which I suspect they went to and tried to arrange a test:

Below outlines the criteria for when a New Yorker is eligible for diagnostic COVID-19 testing. This criteria is subject to change based on test availability, testing capacity, and for public health reasons.

Diagnostic testing for COVID-19 shall be authorized by a health care provider when:

An individual is symptomatic or has a history of symptoms of COVID-19 (e.g. fever, cough, and/or trouble breathing), particularly if the individual is 70 years of age or older, the individual has a compromised immune system, or the individual has an underlying health condition

OR, An individual has had close (i.e. within six feet) or proximate contact with a person known to be positive with COVID-19

OR, An individual is subject to a precautionary or mandatory quarantine

OR, An individual is employed as a health care worker, first responder, or other essential worker who directly interacts with the public while working

OR, An individual presents with a case where the facts and circumstances – as determined by the treating clinician in consultation with state or local department of health officials – warrant testing

OR, An individual is included under other criteria set by the NYS Dept. of Health based on an individual's geographic place of residence, occupation, or other factors that the Department may deem relevant for COVID-19 testing purposes

OR, Any individual who would return to workplace in Phase 1

If they wanted to come to the DR, they would likely have to pay out of pocket for a CV19 test if their insurance doesn't cover it. As you can see from the above, it is not just walk in and get a free test. You have to meet one of the above criteria. They could lie about being in close contact with someone who had CV19, I suppose. My real point is that getting an Affidavit of Health is going to be a nightmare for many if that is required to enter the DR as a tourist.

this is what qualifies you for a test....
subject to a quarantine...DR, UK , Canada.... you name it