Is $1800 a month enough?

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
We have the god given birth right to criticize our own and unfortunately you can't (unless you have lived in The DR forever, have raised a Dominican family, etc...i.e Hillbilly gets a "Dominican pass" in my book). I know, I know...you live there 24X7 and we don't anymore (even though I'm in touch with The DR on a daily basis, visit every couple of months, own my house and property down there, etc.). Unfortunately life's not fair and even though you may feel that you know Dominicans (and you may) there are some cultural things that you may never understand.

I could move to Waziristan, learn to speak fluent Pashtun, become a hardcore muslin, etc...but I'm sure you'd never see me as truly one of your own and I'm sure I would never get a "Pakistani Pass".

Anyhow, back to the regular scheduled program...

...and Robert don't get me involved with this. I'm not arguing with anyone, just stating a fact of life.

Yes,
Luis/Hillbilly deserves that since looong.
maybe we should recommend a Bordname change from
Hillbilly in Campesino Santiago, he he.

that somebody lives outside of His/her own country does not necessarily mean the person has no clue about the ongoings in the Motherland, once Raised in a Country you have for lifetime the feeling for the country and to stay in touch with 'home' is Today's no prob, I am myself for some hours per month on the Phone with parents and sisters at "home", I follow always the News about my birthcountry and other parts of the Globe on the News/TV/Internet Newspapers.
a Dominican Raised can live 10 years abroad without a vacation visit and still he/she will exactly know what's going on here, IF he/she stay's in touch and stays informed.
a Dominican living abroad but visiting here every other month and keeping own property/house etc on the Isle will always be 10 times above any Gringo's knowledge about the Isle.

cheers
Mike

Reactions: AlterEgo

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Lando, for once, I was serious...

By the way, my name is AIDA (most Dominicans are convinced it is a Dominican name, but it is Not)

Last edited:

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I would like to add that we as a family of 5 are living on less than $1800 a month but I have no house payment or car payment and my three daughters go to a local private school.

Also, I would not recommend buying a car newer than 3 or 4 years here for a couple of reasons. One, for the cost but more importantly people who have the latest cars are considered elite and wealthy and you don't want to be a target. It's always better for you to blend in as an upper middle class Dominican but not as one of the real rich ones. Depending on where you live you may not need a car if the public transportation routes are nearby. Also, a ton of money can be saved if you convert the car to propane gas.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
We have the god given birth right to criticize our own and unfortunately you can't (unless you have lived in The DR forever, have raised a Dominican family, etc...i.e Hillbilly gets a "Dominican pass" in my book). I know, I know...you live there 24X7 and we don't anymore (even though I'm in touch with The DR on a daily basis, visit every couple of months, own my house and property down there, etc.). Unfortunately life's not fair and even though you may feel that you know Dominicans (and you may) there are some cultural things that you may never understand.

I could move to Waziristan, learn to speak fluent Pashtun, become a hardcore muslin, etc...but I'm sure you'd never see me as truly one of your own and I'm sure I would never get a "Pakistani Pass".

Anyhow, back to the regular scheduled program...

...and Robert don't get me involved with this. I'm not arguing with anyone, just stating a fact of life.

I won't argue with you, just because you live outside, but in any case, if you need some help in anything in dominican republic (after you have exhausted your contacts and your own research), then call this foreigner and let him resolve your problem the easy way. After all, we are here to help people adjust to this country the easy way. So all people who live outside of USA, can ask for help, we (the foreigners) are here to assist you.
AZB

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
I swear I thought Hillbilly was Dominican.

Hey,
he is Dominican,
he just has a bit of a Gringito Santiago Look, ha ha ha.
and he is not always "Hillbilly",
he sneeks quiet often into Town to visit Rebel Companions and by some Rumors even Family on the East.
and I bet He has the Soul that would fit into any Nationality/Destin,
a Heart, a Soul and a well educated open Mind.Cheers
Mike

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
LOL Mike !

If you have a hard time pronouncing my simple and beautiful name, you should consider slowing down on the bottle :)

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
that's exactly the Point,
as usual I choose to take the easiest Way,
so I stick to the Bottle and Ida, lolol.
Mike

btw,
both sounds beautiful to me if the Gal can hold up with the sounds, he he

baby bori

May 18, 2010
Dominicanoc good thing you're married it could be done on USD $1800 just stay away from the carwashes and certain hot nightspots and you'll be fine!!

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
It's true what Bachata say's, people come wanting to style and profile and forget the fact that they came here to live simpler lifestyle. I almost fell into the temptation of buying a yipeta and moving away from the house. I had a good wake up call and remembered that I came to live pobre pero feliz and not rico like a Vicini. I still hang out but don't spend like before. 1800USD is great!!!

Yea but its also because they have loudmouth relatives who believe and to an extent you "americans" subscribe to that you made yourself filthy rich in the US. So the only way to show and prove that is by buying the Land Cruiser and all types of whiz bang electronics. You overdo it to a point, now you ran out of money. For instance, I sent my ex and my son to Jarabacoa during summer recess last year, 2009, to get to know his uncles and cousins. His mother only had to do one thing for me. And that was get the boy baptized at the church there so when he started school in NY, I could get the Diocese discount. But noooooooo, she couldnt do that. It was too expensive. Now you can get baptized in Jarabacoa for I was told 200 pesos. But there is the OBLIGATORY party you must throw after the event. I m a cheap ass, you suckers are eating salami sandwiches on dry wheat bread. Share some pear juice and go home. But NOOOOOOOOO, she spent all that time talking about being a big wig in NY that they were expecting a SuperBowl party as a reception. Haha! No loudmouth relatives and the desire to show off you can do what you want easily for your budget of $1800.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
If the OP is unable to work and even he/she does find work in santiago, the pay will be a joke. So I suggest, live below your budget and put money aside to cover for the rising cost of living world-wide. Do not take over loans, expenses that could become liability on you in the near future.
Example: there is a foreign lady I know in capital. She had a nice business (import /export) and another health related business. She loved to show off as a rich and famous celebrity type woman. She is living in a nice residential area, paying $1000 US for a apartment, just bought a nice European suv and she likes to travel and take vacations. Over time, she began to become careless and stopped caring for the businesses too much, still taking unnecessary vacations to countries far away. Now after one year knowing her, she is totally bankrupt. She didn't save for the hard times and continued to live like a princess. Now she had to sell her import/export business and sell the SUV on a serious loss deal. After paying her debts from the money she got from selling her business, she is totally zero in bank. Now she is worried sick, with no plan B, a kid to take care of and no money coming in. Her health business is dead. Her birthday just passed without any event but we (friends) put a little party together for her. Everyone made a dish and I made my world famous Humus. She was so depressed that she made a health excuse and didn't show up. We all cleaned the dishes anyway and had fun, even when she was not there. She is in serious financial trouble and there is no plan B on her agenda. God help her.
So please learn from other people's mistakes and live intelligently here. You don't need lots of friends and no need to cook and throw BBQ for them. With time, you will meet the real dominican people who would like to be with you without conditions and any self interest.
AZB

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Do not retire to the Dominican Republic on US$100,000 which is what a bunch of Dominican Yorks do. Then they have to come back because they cannot stand "apagones"

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
ha ha,
100K would not be enough for a Villa and equip it with the needed stuff to have 24/7 elec, right.
but it makes for a 3 months downpayment for a cool looking appartment and a Jeepeta, yeeehaa,
the wake up comes after 3 months when the Rent is due to be paid 'cause the deposit been lived of, he he.
but that has nothing to do with the young retirement of the OP,
I would guess a 1800 in Santiago well calculated go way further than 1800 in Nueva Yol, from that the Kid can be send to a good bilingual private school and a decent Retirement can be lived from that.
Mike

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
I guess they never heard of an inverter.

By the time they finish paying it and the jeepeta they run out of money and have to come back to the cold. Also remember "esas facturas de luz no la aguanta nadie". Is the excuse they use to avoid admitting running out of money.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2009
100,000 can last you a long time, if you spend it wisely. If you come and buy a 25,000 vehicle to show off, you done messed up already. If you come and rent a place for more then 1000 a month pa ta lujiando you messed up already. If you buy the latest everything. If you come and go out to eat at Acropolis, them restaurants in Naco and party in Lie or BlueMall, you done messed up already. Live on the essentials.

Your gonna **** away all your money. If you can get your 1800 a month, then also get a little job somewhere pulling in another 300-500 a month (I know it's not a lot) or buy a property as an investment and pull in some rental money. You can do a lot better than many Dominican-York who come and try to party like a rock star. 1800 plus another pesitos you can pull in will take you far. Tu inversor, tu abanico, tu botella de agua, unos platanos, yuca y un pollo guisao!!? Ay papa ahi si lo cuarto rinden caramba.