Is Boco Chica really that bad???

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Thanks guys. sounds like it cant be much worse than playa del carmen in Mexico which i loved. Ill let everyone know how it goes. Just ****in sucks goin on vacation alone. I have this feeling I might get bored in Juan Dolio.
I missed the part in your original post where you said you are a seasoned traveler. BC or JD would be just fine for you.
The 2 main restaurants in JD are Guilla's Caf? on Calle Blvd. near Capella and Chocolate Caf? near Costa Caribe. You can get all the info for the area at either one of these local hang outs. Both resorts have clubs also.
If you choose JD it would be cheap enough to take a day or night trip to Boca Chica to check out the scene.
I think that in either location you won't be alone for long. ;)
Keep in mind that most of us giving you advice are a tad over 40. ha ha ha

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
Ok, I am unable to get a refund but I can change the hotel. Here is a link with a list, couple in punta cana, some in santo domingo and one in juan dolio. PLEASE help! remember Im a young single guy in my 20's but Im not really into sex for profit or drugs either but I do like to go out, drink and have fun

You are young and not into sex for profit...you weren't expecting a profit were you.;) I travelled and wasn't looking for sex either but it found me and before you know it I had a little head and big head problem. Guess which one won.

New2DR

Dec 3, 2013
Thanks Frank Ill Definitly look you up. I am now leaning towards BC. because travelling out of JD to have fun kinda sucks as I like to stay close by the hotel or at least in cabbing distance. Do you know if you can buy your own liquor or bring liquor into the AI resorts?
cheers

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Thanks Frank Ill Definitly look you up. I am now leaning towards BC. because travelling out of JD to have fun kinda sucks as I like to stay close by the hotel or at least in cabbing distance. Do you know if you can buy your own liquor or bring liquor into the AI resorts?
cheers

You can bring anything you want to the resort....except a guest.

Everything you'll need is in easy walking distance from where you're staying. If you're okay with local beer and rum it's cheap and plentiful. If you prefer high end booze or don't like rum you can pick up a couple liters at the duty free shop at SDQ before you hit customs. Good deals in there.

Smart

Bronze
Jun 16, 2012
Beer is not cheap here, anywhere, unless you come from Norway!

Where on earth are you comparing beer prices to, to find them cheap.

And everything here leaves a hangover.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Beer is not cheap here, anywhere, unless you come from Norway!

Where on earth are you comparing beer prices to, to find them cheap.

And everything here leaves a hangover.

Presidente is cheaper in BC than most domestic beers and all imports in the DC area (excluding VA).

If Presidente Light gives you a headache then you should probably switch to wine.

It's motto should be "Love-in-a-Canoe" (f'ing near water).

Besides he can get all the local beer and rum he wants for free at the AI where he's staying. A duty free bottle of something nice for the room will get him through the week.

Deyvi

*** I love DR1 ***
Dec 23, 2009
SEASONED TRAVELER! Staying at an AI?? Please? Was this some internet Gay hookup scam. DR1's (just guess'n) are wasting time on a "seasoned a__".

Smart

Bronze
Jun 16, 2012
What do you mean? A/I are great getaways, I don't see your point. Minimal thinking, energy, effort, that is what I go to Bavaro for quite regularly, lock myself away from all the weasels, be waited on, collapse into a fresh cold bed three of four times a day. If I feel adventurous pop up to Steve's bar , if I feel really crazy I might even take a fishing trip or go see the dolphins. Seasoned travelling is not about making life difficult for yourself, seasoned travellers simply go about travelling intelligently.

New2DR

Dec 3, 2013
hey deyvi i came on this forum for positive advice not people that have nothing better than make dumb comments. if u actually read the thread you would have seen i booked this trip because it was cheap and i dont have to worry about eating out all the time. i would say being to over 10 countries and living overseas for 5 years is seasoned enough. Thanks again for all the helpful forum members out there.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
Geez, if you are a seasoned traveler (as smart as you think you are) just do what you want to do, not what the hustlers want you to do. I think CC says this above. Or just stay at the AI, you can pretty much stay out of trouble that way and enjoy the food, the beach. You can always order in if you want company : ) Chalk it up to experience. Next time do a little more research.

New2DR

Dec 3, 2013
Im not saying I know everything, just that staying in an AI doesnt mean you arnt a seasoned traveller. Like I said before I booked this trip with a friend online because I got a good deal and the reason I am on this forum is to learn more about my destination. So thank you to everyone that has chimed in and given me some solid advice. Cheers.

kaykat18987

Nov 25, 2013
Im with td canada trust and 2 years ago from an atm i wanted to take out 100$. And was in peso so i took out 100 peso. I was like okkk wont be enough. Put card back in and account was blocked. Went this march. Tried to take out from an atm in banco popular and was not working. So used my visa and it was only letting me take out 500 peso at a time. So i did it 19 times. And yes a 5$ fee from visa each time. I had advised td bank i was going on vaca and didnt change nothing. Just bring cash. Canadien or american. They all change it.

kaykat18987

Nov 25, 2013
Curency exchange looks better for us $. 41 pesos per $. Can 38.5 pero $. But think about it ull loose money by changing to american here so just go with canadian. All places do us can euro. So many locations!!! And shop around!!!

Smart

Bronze
Jun 16, 2012
Geez, if you are a seasoned traveler (as smart as you think you are) just do what you want to do, not what the hustlers want you to do. I think CC says this above. Or just stay at the AI, you can pretty much stay out of trouble that way and enjoy the food, the beach. You can always order in if you want company : ) Chalk it up to experience. Next time do a little more research.

Geeez. Yes, everything you have said has been said, so what is the point in echoing it if it frustrates you so?

I sense a dodgy valve on this thread and rapid deflation about to commence.

spmc

Nov 7, 2008
Tagged/Dom Cupid

It is not too late to open a Tagged/Hi5 or Dom Cupid account. There are 250,000 young, attractive women within a hour of BC that would love to spend a day at the beach with you.

Seriously, BC is not that bad at all and you will have a good time if you have some common sense and do not get drunk (in public at least).

Deyvi

*** I love DR1 ***
Dec 23, 2009
Dear Traveler, I've been going to Boca Chica since '95. After reading your posts, you should copy the ABC video and get your Refund.
Don Juan and the AIs in Juan Dolio are probably the worst in the Caribe.
If you are doing the cheap? Eat your money.
Hope your flight is refunded.