is cat hating and rat hating a learned behaviour?

Gordon

Jan 24, 2011
As a kid, cats would always pick on me. I could walk into any house, one I have never been to before and instantly know there was a cat lurking somewhere inside. My uncontrollable sneezes told me about the cat. Everyone knew I had a massive reaction and for a kid, this was unwanted attention. Cats seemed to seek me out after that first sneeze. They would try to curl up around my neck and face and anywhere they would find it most devastating to my health. I am sure to this day it was intentional. The adverse physical reactions have since subsided but cats to this day still run to my neck as soon as they sense something in me. I find it odd as most creatures, if they do not like you, they head for the opposite direction.

I have rats. Well I had rats. I tried poison. I did not put a lot of thought into this but acted more out of urgency and limited experience with rat control. I regret the poison. I had a scare with an animal I loved. I just didn't like placing the poison around. It did not feel right. If anyone can tell me what to do with the now unwanted poison as I have no idea how to properly dispose of it.

I was at my favorite local vet. I brought in a rat terrier that had a terror for rats. It was not a psychotherapy session, just a routine shots update. Trying to take my mind off the obvious resistance the little fellow had for this visit I began talking about my rat situation. Oddly the vet just happened to have several amazing and beautiful kittens to give away. He also had a plan to get them off to a wonderful start in life, or at least one of them. His plan was for me to give up my past bad experience and start fresh. Give the sweet little kitten a home, a start in my rat infested area, and he would return the favor with neutering and deworming and the essential health plan at very affordable pricing. The kitten would work hard also in return and bring me much relief and I could do away with the rat posion forever. It would have been a sweet deal for a cat lover, but that was not me and I anguished in the ensuing debate.

As it turns out this vet was not only a great vet but a great salesperson. Over the course of treatment of this little patient I brought to him, he smoothly talked me into something I would never otherwise do, by breaking down every objection I had systematically even though I was a confirmed anti cat person from a young age. The kitten, one in particular, was also working his magic (and lies as it turned out later) and in a twenty minute period I was convinced that the problem was with me not the cats and I would be rather foolish unless I gave this a good try.

The kitten comes home. Adorable until one of his innocent claw marks swells into a red and disproportionately large scratch on your chest and arms or legs. Georgeous until he starts kneading on your chest just as you are drifting off to sleep. Cutest thing ever until he purrs so loud deep in your ear canal you have to resist the temptation to .........

Now I have a kitten killing machine and I do not miss the cockroaches, I do not miss the mice and I do not miss the rats my resident snake missed. I miss my most favorite geckos that paraded and mate danced on my patio rail and walls. The geckos are all gone within the range of the little ferocious kitty. I see him hiding close to my hummingbird feeder. Those little hummers that made my breakfasts on the deck so much more endearing are now becoming potential enjoyment for my resident killing machine and simply a target. I will break down and cry I know the first time she brings a captured and mangled hummer to my deck chair as a proudly earned prize. Life is not fair and why are cats so obnoxious and untrainable. I find I hate cats more than ever. How could one hate a creature so well crafted and beautiful. It is the stealth and lack of empathy that makes me wonder now if poison is not the lessor of two evils. Why would anyone domestiCATe a cat in the first place?

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
As a kid, cats would always pick on me. I could walk into any house, one I have never been to before and instantly know there was a cat lurking somewhere inside. My uncontrollable sneezes told me about the cat. Everyone knew I had a massive reaction and for a kid, this was unwanted attention. Cats seemed to seek me out after that first sneeze. They would try to curl up around my neck and face and anywhere they would find it most devastating to my health. I am sure to this day it was intentional. The adverse physical reactions have since subsided but cats to this day still run to my neck as soon as they sense something in me. I find it odd as most creatures, if they do not like you, they head for the opposite direction.

I have rats. Well I had rats. I tried poison. I did not put a lot of thought into this but acted more out of urgency and limited experience with rat control. I regret the poison. I had a scare with an animal I loved. I just didn't like placing the poison around. It did not feel right. If anyone can tell me what to do with the now unwanted poison as I have no idea how to properly dispose of it.

I was at my favorite local vet. I brought in a rat terrier that had a terror for rats. It was not a psychotherapy session, just a routine shots update. Trying to take my mind off the obvious resistance the little fellow had for this visit I began talking about my rat situation. Oddly the vet just happened to have several amazing and beautiful kittens to give away. He also had a plan to get them off to a wonderful start in life, or at least one of them. His plan was for me to give up my past bad experience and start fresh. Give the sweet little kitten a home, a start in my rat infested area, and he would return the favor with neutering and deworming and the essential health plan at very affordable pricing. The kitten would work hard also in return and bring me much relief and I could do away with the rat posion forever. It would have been a sweet deal for a cat lover, but that was not me and I anguished in the ensuing debate.

As it turns out this vet was not only a great vet but a great salesperson. Over the course of treatment of this little patient I brought to him, he smoothly talked me into something I would never otherwise do, by breaking down every objection I had systematically even though I was a confirmed anti cat person from a young age. The kitten, one in particular, was also working his magic (and lies as it turned out later) and in a twenty minute period I was convinced that the problem was with me not the cats and I would be rather foolish unless I gave this a good try.

The kitten comes home. Adorable until one of his innocent claw marks swells into a red and disproportionately large scratch on your chest and arms or legs. Georgeous until he starts kneading on your chest just as you are drifting off to sleep. Cutest thing ever until he purrs so loud deep in your ear canal you have to resist the temptation to .........

Now I have a kitten killing machine and I do not miss the cockroaches, I do not miss the mice and I do not miss the rats my resident snake missed. I miss my most favorite geckos that paraded and mate danced on my patio rail and walls. The geckos are all gone within the range of the little ferocious kitty. I see him hiding close to my hummingbird feeder. Those little hummers that made my breakfasts on the deck so much more endearing are now becoming potential enjoyment for my resident killing machine and simply a target. I will break down and cry I know the first time she brings a captured and mangled hummer to my deck chair as a proudly earned prize. Life is not fair and why are cats so obnoxious and untrainable. I find I hate cats more than ever. How could one hate a creature so well crafted and beautiful. It is the stealth and lack of empathy that makes me wonder now if poison is not the lessor of two evils. Why would anyone domestiCATe a cat in the first place?

First of all your description of the behavior of a cat is totally wrong. Cats will look each never in the eyes because that is considered the beginning of a fight. Now what do we do humans, who love cats and see one coming in, we look straight to them and say ooooh kitty kitty!!! If the cat is used to humans doing that and most are they will come but...lets put it another way.
Put 5 people in a room of which one is afraid or does not like cats, cat comes in, 4 people will look at the cat and call her, the person who doesn't like cats will not look and is looking away saying to himself...damn damn a cat! Bet you a 100 % that the cat will choose the person who is not looking because in the cats eyes that is the most 'safest' being to be with because that person is not looking straight to me and is even giving signals, only visible for a cat, please come to me and so eventually that cat will land on the lap of the person who hates the cat the most.

Second : you have to take the good with the bad, cats are excellent rat and mice killers and love spiders also and all kind of bugs as long as they can chase because how domesticated a cat is, it never looses its killer instinct.
The fact that they love to present the prey on your doorstep is respect for you, look what I have caught for you and the only thing you can do is give the cat respect back by accepting the gift, put it behind you back, wrap it up in paper and throw it away.
The downside, even for me, as a catlover, is that among their victims there are also the lovely singing birds alas.

Third : what is now the best solution for you? Since you have made your peace finally with a cat who gets rid of mouses and rats? Put on a collar with a little bell on it. The rats and mices will be chased by the cat as always and maybe if she is quick enough, she will catch one but for sure even if she doesn't, those rats and mices may have a little brain but will stay out of the way of that monster walking around your house. What the birds is concerned, they still have more chance to escape since the cat has to jump at a time, bell goes off and bird can fly away, much better chance to escape those sharp claws unless its a young inexperienced one.

So no rat poison, keep your cat but get a collar for him/her and make sure its one with a piece of elastic band between it so that if the cat get trapped in a tree and is stuck with the collar, the elastic bit makes sure that the cat will not hang herself.

Good luck and btw nice story :)

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
First of all.....WTF?!?
Second of all.....Cats are evil.

SHALENA

Yes, women are catty. LOL. Put a bell around it's neck. It will warn the birds but not affect it's ability to do in the rest of your varmits. I am a lover of both cats and dogs. My cat is just a snake with hair.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Acria you know my vet don't you? Darn the both of you.

Well you can always try again with a rat terrier who is not afraid of rats and I can give you the address of a friend of mine who breeds Patterdale Terriers but then you have to get rid of the cat again because both Terrier breeds do no like cats at all :)

Gordon

Jan 24, 2011
Yes, women are catty. LOL. ............ My cat is just a snake with hair.

Part I I have heard somewhere before. But I would not admit understanding what you mean on a mixed forum. part II I love it and begin to notice the similarity more and more here too except its fur.

Gordon

Jan 24, 2011
could not do without my rat terror, life would just not be the same. maybe its because we both hate the other thing in the house but tolerate it enough to survive its influence.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
could not do without my rat terror, life would just not be the same. maybe its because we both hate the other thing in the house but tolerate it enough to survive its influence.

Nice symbioses going on in your household then. Be prepared for fur balls if you have a 'snake with fur' like Bob seems to have.

Gordon

Jan 24, 2011
I am convinced that shortly after a large rat to fame a similar sized rat terror would not be off "the list" even if they eat out of each others bowls now
just no cat empathy there.
just when you think you can learn to love them they turn on you, just saying

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
my father comes form a house where animals were not appreciated and he was never fond of cats until i brought home one small kitteh. he is now hooked: sleeps with his hairy fatso, gives it best foods and treats it as a king. who know, your cat may just grow on you too :)

and i always say that cats do not perform all that well as pest control as you seem to have a lot more creepy crowlies inside the house. usually very dead, dismembered and placed in a very same spot you will step on with your bare foot.

Gordon

Jan 24, 2011
Gordon,
Are you a professional writer? You should be.
My advice is mix some of the rat poison into the cat's food and do away with the foul thing. The rats and mice will eat the rat food mixed with cat poison also. Or whatever.
Der Fish
Derfish
No. Does it pay anything? Derfish are you a professional exterminator? You are the only one that had suggestions as to disposal of the poison and your ideas seem to make some sort of weird sense of it all. Devious but kinda clever. Odd, I don;t know I just can;t put my finger on it! but thanks

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
In all of my life I have never seen as many rats as I have seen in the DR. Had cats in Holland but never in the DR, didn't need them either since I had a bitch who LOVED to chase and kill rats. Must have counted more than 40 in just a one year time span. Also killed snakes. The problem is that the rats keep on coming!!!!!!!!

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
In all of my life I have never seen as many rats as I have seen in the DR. Had cats in Holland but never in the DR, didn't need them either since I had a bitch who LOVED to chase and kill rats. Must have counted more than 40 in just a one year time span. Also killed snakes. The problem is that the rats keep on coming!!!!!!!!

Rats in Belgium no, a lot of mouses in the horse barns yes, so we had 4 cats running around there and with about 40 stables and plenty of stacked bales, they had enough time and space to get away when the dogs were loose in the passage to the inner piste. Here, not possible to keep a cat and had many rats in Jarabacoa but haven't seen any yet here on the coast...yet.

Gordon

Jan 24, 2011
100 rats FROM WIKIPEDIA:
Billy
A celebrated Bull and Terrier named "Billy" weighing approximately 12 kg (26 pounds), had a proud fighting history and the pedigree reflects the build-up over a period of years. The dog was owned by Charles Dew and was bred by the famous breeder James Yardington. On the paternal side is "Old Billy" from the kennel of John Tattersal from Wootton-under-Edge, Gloucestershire and was descended from the best line of all Old English Bulldogs. On the maternal side, is "Yardington's Sal" descended from the Curley line. The pedigree of all these dogs can be traced back more than forty years and there are numerous old accounts about them.
The October 1822, edition of The Sporting Magazine provided descriptions of two rat pit matches with Billy, quoted as follows:

Billy, the celebrated Rat Killing Dog, London, circa 1823
"Thursday night, Oct. 24, at a quarter before eight o'clock, the lovers of rat-killing enjoyed a feast of delight in a prodigious raticide at the Cockpit, Westminster. The place was crowded. The famous dog Billy, of rat-killing notoriety, 26 lb. weight, was wagered, for twenty sovereigns, to kill one hundred rats in twelve minutes. The rats were turned out loose at once in a 12-feet square, and the floor whitened, so that the rats might be visible to all. The set-to began, and Billy exerted himself to the utmost. At four minutes and three quarters, as the hero's head was covered with gore, he was removed from the pit, and his chaps being washed, he lapped some water to cool his throat. Again he entered the arena, and in vain did the unfortunate victims labour to obtain security by climbing against the sides of the pit, or by crouching beneath the hero. By twos and threes they were caught, and soon their mangled corpses proved the valour of the victor. Some of the flying enemy, more valiant than the rest, endeavoured by seizing this Quinhus Flestrum of heroic dogs by the ears, to procure a respite, or to sell their life as dearly as possible; but his grand paw soon swept off the buzzers, and consigned them to their fate. At seven minutes and a quarter, or according to another watch, for there were two umpires and two watches, at seven minutes and seventeen seconds, the victor relinquished the glorious pursuit, for all his foes lay slaughtered on the ensanguined plain. Billy was then caressed and fondled by many; the dog is estimated by amateurs as a most dextrous animal; he is, unfortunately, what the French Monsieurs call borg-ne, that is, blind of an eye.-This precious organ was lost to him some time since by the intrepidity of an inimical rat, which as he had not seized it in a proper place, turned round on its murderer, and reprived him by one bite of the privilege of seeing with two eyes in future. The dog BILLY, of rat-killing notoriety, on the evening of the 13th instant, again exhibited his surprising dexterity; he was wagered to kill one hundred rats within twelve minutes; but six minutes and twenty five seconds only elapsed, when every rat lay stretched on the gory plain, without the least symptom of life appearing.' Billy was decorated with a silver collar, and a number of ribband bows, and was led off amidst the applauses of the persons assembled."
Billy's best competition results are as follows:

Paris Dog Show - Mirrored walls
Date Rats Killed Time Time per Rat
1820-??-?? 20 1 minute, 11 seconds 3.6 seconds
1822-09-03 100 8 minutes, 45 seconds 5.2 seconds
1822-10-24 100 7 minutes, 17 seconds 4.4 seconds
1822-11-13 100 6 minutes, 25 seconds 3.4 seconds
1823-04-22 100 5 minutes, 30 seconds 3.3 seconds * Record
1823-08-05 120 8 minutes, 20 seconds 4.1 seconds
Billy's career was crowned on April 22, 1823, when a world record was set with a hundred rats killed in five-and-a-half minutes. This record stood until 1862 when it was claimed by another ratter named "Jacko". Billy continued in the rat pit until old age reportedly with only one eye and two teeth remaining.

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
100 rats FROM WIKIPEDIA:
Billy
A celebrated Bull and Terrier named "Billy" weighing approximately 12 kg (26 pounds), had a proud fighting history and the pedigree reflects the build-up over a period of years. The dog was owned by Charles Dew and was bred by the famous breeder James Yardington. On the paternal side is "Old Billy" from the kennel of John Tattersal from Wootton-under-Edge, Gloucestershire and was descended from the best line of all Old English Bulldogs. On the maternal side, is "Yardington's Sal" descended from the Curley line. The pedigree of all these dogs can be traced back more than forty years and there are numerous old accounts about them.
The October 1822, edition of The Sporting Magazine provided descriptions of two rat pit matches with Billy, quoted as follows:

Billy, the celebrated Rat Killing Dog, London, circa 1823
"Thursday night, Oct. 24, at a quarter before eight o'clock, the lovers of rat-killing enjoyed a feast of delight in a prodigious raticide at the Cockpit, Westminster. The place was crowded. The famous dog Billy, of rat-killing notoriety, 26 lb. weight, was wagered, for twenty sovereigns, to kill one hundred rats in twelve minutes. The rats were turned out loose at once in a 12-feet square, and the floor whitened, so that the rats might be visible to all. The set-to began, and Billy exerted himself to the utmost. At four minutes and three quarters, as the hero's head was covered with gore, he was removed from the pit, and his chaps being washed, he lapped some water to cool his throat. Again he entered the arena, and in vain did the unfortunate victims labour to obtain security by climbing against the sides of the pit, or by crouching beneath the hero. By twos and threes they were caught, and soon their mangled corpses proved the valour of the victor. Some of the flying enemy, more valiant than the rest, endeavoured by seizing this Quinhus Flestrum of heroic dogs by the ears, to procure a respite, or to sell their life as dearly as possible; but his grand paw soon swept off the buzzers, and consigned them to their fate. At seven minutes and a quarter, or according to another watch, for there were two umpires and two watches, at seven minutes and seventeen seconds, the victor relinquished the glorious pursuit, for all his foes lay slaughtered on the ensanguined plain. Billy was then caressed and fondled by many; the dog is estimated by amateurs as a most dextrous animal; he is, unfortunately, what the French Monsieurs call borg-ne, that is, blind of an eye.-This precious organ was lost to him some time since by the intrepidity of an inimical rat, which as he had not seized it in a proper place, turned round on its murderer, and reprived him by one bite of the privilege of seeing with two eyes in future. The dog BILLY, of rat-killing notoriety, on the evening of the 13th instant, again exhibited his surprising dexterity; he was wagered to kill one hundred rats within twelve minutes; but six minutes and twenty five seconds only elapsed, when every rat lay stretched on the gory plain, without the least symptom of life appearing.' Billy was decorated with a silver collar, and a number of ribband bows, and was led off amidst the applauses of the persons assembled."
Billy's best competition results are as follows:

Paris Dog Show - Mirrored walls
Date Rats Killed Time Time per Rat
1820-??-?? 20 1 minute, 11 seconds 3.6 seconds
1822-09-03 100 8 minutes, 45 seconds 5.2 seconds
1822-10-24 100 7 minutes, 17 seconds 4.4 seconds
1822-11-13 100 6 minutes, 25 seconds 3.4 seconds
1823-04-22 100 5 minutes, 30 seconds 3.3 seconds * Record
1823-08-05 120 8 minutes, 20 seconds 4.1 seconds
Billy's career was crowned on April 22, 1823, when a world record was set with a hundred rats killed in five-and-a-half minutes. This record stood until 1862 when it was claimed by another ratter named "Jacko". Billy continued in the rat pit until old age reportedly with only one eye and two teeth remaining.

Billy really held a grudge:bunny:

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com

I love the rough coated rat terrier.
Would like you to see how a Patterdale works but not gonna post it here because Patterdales are bred to hunt foxes, badgers and wild boars but they do like the taste of a rat also but since most is underground (they are tagged with gps to keep track of them under ground in the long corridors of their prey, its hard to get that on tape and it can be messy once they cornered one and they will not stop until their prey is dead.
But they are as sweet as gold to humans. My friend hunts professional with them on demand of the Ministery of forestery and wildlife preserve in different European countries for pest control but she takes one of them also to her work in a home for elderly as companion dog for the day.