Is chess big in the Dr for families

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
Growing up in New York it was always a big game around the house whether it was cold or warm, we always had a board.

Great game so I was just wondering for it being fun to play for one.... and only having to buy it once is a big their, for home entertainment?;)

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Sorry easy

easygoin said:
Growing up in New York it was always a big game around the house whether it was cold or warm, we always had a board.

Great game so I was just wondering for it being fun to play for one.... and only having to buy it once is a big their, for home entertainment?;)
Dominicans do not like Chess because it requires too much thinking and concentration, maybe Checkers.

Oooops, not all dominicans of course:laugh: :laugh:

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Domino also requires thinking! And that we love here!!!
Must be another reason for chess not being "a big" game....

:classic:

This DominoLand!

Jan 5, 2006
I guess that it depends. When I was growing up in DR I always played and found plenty of friends to do it with. From what I've seen in the last few years, it still seems popular with the more educated, young people.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Dominos requires the same amount of thinking as checkers and therefore can't be compared to chess. Especially in the fact that dominos each player has a partner. As Hipocrito Mejia said "it still seems popular with the more educated".

Rick

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Hipocrito Mejia said:
From what I've seen in the last few years, it still seems popular with the more educated, young people.
There is an area on Calle Beller in Peurto Plata where there is usually 3 or 4 games in progress with many spectators. I asked where all these guys learned the game. I was told that most were deportees who learned in US prison.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
There's often a chess game in progress on the Conde, in Santo Domingo, as well.

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Here we go again...we Dominicans too dumb to play chess.......you guys are silly...P-K4....your move!!!

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Plane crash

In late '92, a Cuban airliner smashed into the side of Isabela De Torez, killing all aboard, namely the Dominican National Chess team, returning from a tournament in Cuba.
Maybe this has something to do with so few people playing chess in this country.

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Not on my watch

I was amazed at how popular chess was in the school I worked at.

Without exception there would be 2-3 boards going during recess. Teachers were part of the crowd as well; everyone seemed thrilled/anxious to play. I'm assuming this has to transfer somewhat to the homelife.

There would be no shortage of active spectators as well. The only thing I could compare it to would be the line of chess tables in Harvard Square (Massachusetts) that would draw large crowds on weekend mornings.

Personally, I prefer the hystrionic hand motions and endless barrage of "diablo co?os" that the DR game offered; it's a rather boring game if you don't have 12 people telling you what you should have done.

I think - stateside - there are just so many options for student's time during school that chess (or anything requiring thought) is not "cool".

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
Thanks to all who replied.:nervous:

That would have to be one of the nicest gift you can give to a family, especially when they have no money. I believe it brings the family closer together...at the same time a great learning tool.;)

The meeting of the minds, and hopefully it does not come down to War.

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
aegap said:
Franco has a pic in his blog of the place Chirimoya mentioned.

That's really nice..... notice the pressure? You gotta love to play the game and read your opponent almost like a card game. ;)

And thank's..... Franco,Chirimoya;) ;) ;)