Is covid-19 Rapid Test available anywhere?

Cabarete2014

Mar 30, 2014
Where one could get a Rapid covid-19 test in sosusa/cabarete/puerto plata area? the type that you get result in 20 minutes or so.
And how much it will probably cost?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Good luck finding a rapid test anywhere but at the airports for arriving passengers. The medical laboratory across the street from Playero in Sosua (puerto Plata lab or something like that) will do a blood test and you get the result in a day or two. They also offer a testing at home service but you will have to check with the lab to see how to arrange for that service. Cost $RD 1800.00.

Let us know if you find a place to get a rapid test. Availability of easily accessible testing in this country is an ongoing problem.

Reactions: Cabarete2014

Cabarete2014

Mar 30, 2014
Good luck finding a rapid test anywhere but at the airports for arriving passengers. The medical laboratory across the street from Playero in Sosua (puerto Plata lab or something like that) will do a blood test and you get the result in a day or two. They also offer a testing at home service but you will have to check with the lab to see how to arrange for that service. Cost $RD 1800.00.

Let us know if you find a place to get a rapid test. Availability of easily accessible testing in this country is an ongoing problem.
Thanks for the info. Getting test results in a day or two for $1800 pesos is not bad at all. I still hope that there be a Rapid Test somewhere.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
can't tell for your N Coast.
just to add to info,
at Cap Cana Marina the Quick Tests been offered for $50.-/US per piece a few weeks ago.
we also did PCR Testing, done by Reforma, they came to Cap Cana and it been covered by our ARS Humano Insurance.
results been available 48hrs later online.
that been several weeks ago, so I don't know if they are still the same fast, as such things change.
if you have a local insurance, ask them directly, they told us whom to call for appointment etc.

Cabarete2014

Mar 30, 2014
can't tell for your N Coast.
just to add to info,
at Cap Cana Marina the Quick Tests been offered for $50.-/US per piece a few weeks ago.
we also did PCR Testing, done by Reforma, they came to Cap Cana and it been covered by our ARS Humano Insurance.
results been available 48hrs later online.
that been several weeks ago, so I don't know if they are still the same fast, as such things change.
if you have a local insurance, ask them directly, they told us whom to call for appointment etc.
Thanks. Since you mentioned Humano insurance, I want to ask you if you are happy with them? the reason I ask is that my ARS Universal insurance is due for renewal shortly and I'm looking for a cheaper alternative. I'm under 65, very good health, and paying 22k pesos every 6 months.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Thanks. Since you mentioned Humano insurance, I want to ask you if you are happy with them? the reason I ask is that my ARS Universal insurance is due for renewal shortly and I'm looking for a cheaper alternative. I'm under 65, very good health, and paying 22k pesos every 6 months.
I am happy with them since all the time, I am on my 26th year here now.
I have their medium plan, named the Royal Plan as a family plan.
it is my wife(43), our daughter(9) and myself (55), I pay every 3 months 18.352.- pesos, just paid the last bill a few days ago, been due for August 31st.
we live in Punta Cana and our clinic of choice here is the Centro Medico Punta Cana.
we had over the decades some doctors needs and been very satisfied with the service at the clinic and the coverage of the insurance for that,
specially when the little one was a baby, all the different children doctors we used there been great.

Last edited:

Cabarete2014

Mar 30, 2014
I am happy with them since all the time, I am on my 26th year here now.
I have their medium plan, named the Royal Plan as a family plan.
it is my wife(43), our daughter(9) and myself (55), Ipay every 3 months 18.352.- pesos, just paid the ast bill a few days ago, been due for August 31st.
we live in Punta Cana and our clinic of choice here is the Centro Medico Punta Cana.
we had over the decades some doctors needs and been very satisfied with the service at the clinic and the coverage of the insurance for that,
specially when the little one was a baby, all the different children doctors we used there been great.
I will definitely get in touch with them. Thanks for your helpful and extensive info.

Reactions: MikeFisher

aname4me

Jun 18, 2011
Paper Antigen Test

$1.00 to $2.00 per test
Results in 15 minutes
Done at HOME.... only requiring Saliva (like a $2 pregnancy test.... with spit)

It has low sensitivity, so you must have Covid-19 for at least day to show positive.

Compaired to a RT-PCR Test

$35 to $200 each
Must go somewhere to be tested
Must wait 2 to 10 days for the results
BUT..... highly sensitive.

If you went to the Bar last night and caught it.... The RT-PCR test (today) would be positive...
BUT.... you won't know this... for days and days.

Would you wait for hours, and spend a $100..... just in case???
and then wait DAYS to get the results.

The BIG Catch here.....
Paper Antigen Test are being held up by Bureaucracy.
Only Trained Medical People can administer them.
Only Trained Medical People can read it.

Thank You..... FDA.

No one wants to market a "Quick Test" that only Doctors can give or read.

In an election year.....
Trump backed Hydroxychloroquine Didn't work out too well for him.

What Politician will step up to push Paper Antigen Test through the Bureaucracy ? ? ?

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Just did a drive tru nasal test in the states in anticipation of a flight to DR on Monday. Free of charge at CVS. Easy as can be BUT 4-7 days for email test results. Meaning the restriction of no more than 5 days old as stated by the DR gun is more or less not workable.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Are you dissatisfied with Universal? You are paying approx 63 dollars per month. I pay approx $65 per month for Palic Prestige.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Paper Antigen Test

$1.00 to $2.00 per test
Results in 15 minutes

It has low sensitivity, so you must have Covid-19 for at least day to show positive.

$35 to $200 each

If you went to the Bar last night and caught it.... The RT-PCR test (today) would be positive...

The BIG Catch here.....

Thank You..... FDA.

In an election year.....

What Politician will step up to push Paper Antigen Test through the Bureaucracy ? ? ?
so wheer in the DR is that test available,
is it accepted for Intl Travel at the airports in the DR or USA or Europe?

Cabarete2014

Mar 30, 2014
Are you dissatisfied with Universal? You are paying approx 63 dollars per month. I pay approx $65 per month for Palic Prestige.
Actually I have been happy with them, although I have used the insurance only for annual exams and nothing else. I was simply trying to find a better price since I don't use it much.

Jan 17, 2009
Is this the antigen test used on Governor of Ohio yesterday, which showed a false positive???

Paper Antigen Test

$1.00 to $2.00 per test
Results in 15 minutes

$35 to $200 each

The BIG Catch here.....

Thank You..... FDA.

In an election year.....

Reactions: El Rey de Mangu
Sep 22, 2009
Paper Antigen Test

$1.00 to $2.00 per test
Results in 15 minutes

$35 to $200 each

The BIG Catch here.....

Thank You..... FDA.

In an election year.....

Good post

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Just did a drive tru nasal test in the states in anticipation of a flight to DR on Monday. Free of charge at CVS. Easy as can be BUT 4-7 days for email test results. Meaning the restriction of no more than 5 days old as stated by the DR gun is more or less not workable.

Results depend on the work backlog at each CVS.... they told me when I asked.

Check around other CVS to get a shorter wait time

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Results depend on the work backlog at each CVS.... they told me when I asked.

Check around other CVS to get a shorter wait time
Shorter than 4 days would be testing on the spot without sending to an outside lab. CVS does not do that. Apparently the airport does.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
sitting with my buddy right now in his quarantine appt in PC Village.
he was on a 30 days ride with 3 boats through the bahamas, came back via Turks, PoP, Cap Cana to San Juan/PR and then when trying to leave San Juan/PR back home to Cap Cana by plane part of the crowd on the cruise tested positive.
he did his PCR Test in PR at a laboratory named CMT. test done at 7AM, results been back the same day 6PM.
he tested negative, but as we have also folks in the family here elder than myself,
he will stay a few more days here in the Appt quarantined til the results of the newly done PCR come out, which should be tomorrow or no later than on monday with referencia here at Punta Cana Village.
but shorter than 5 days to get results for PCR testing is available, you just have to shop around to find the best suitbale places.
and here we should name those suitable places, so others can take advantage of the knowledge.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Who are you trying to kid? You're not coming back anytime in the foreseeable future are you?