Is he looking for a visa?

Hilari

Jun 8, 2021
New Jersey
I am an American citizen. I met a man via Facebook Dating. He ask me to be go out with him and to be his novia. He came in from the Dominican Republic three years ago on a tourist visa. I asked him if he knew he was not going to return to the DR when he came here. He said "yes." His tourist visa has expired. He said that he is looking for a long term relationship and he would like to get married. He lives with his daughter and his grandchildren and he works with the assistance of a friend in construction. I'm not sure if he is on an agenda to get his visa. We have discussed it before and we both agreed that it would be beneficial if we were to ever marry for him to get a visa. We have been intimate twice and the second time I told him "te quiero" he seemed to be a little offended and said that "te quiero" "te amo" are not the same. When I told him te amo he said I was joking and didn't seem to believe me. I didn't say te amo because we have only been dating a few weeks. I didn't want to say it too soon and I would rather he said it first. He has not asked for any money and he seems to like for example he calls and texts often. He said that he is no longer with his daughters' mother. His daughters are in their early twenties. He had a girlfriend back in DR but I am the first and only american women that he has ever dated. What should I do?

Reactions: lifeisgreat

Hilari

Jun 8, 2021
New Jersey
Also, I have a ten year old son and I would like a father figure for him. My new boyfriend speaks and understands very little English or as he says he speaks English but doesn't understand it. He taught tennis in the DR and he has a degree in sports education. Since he cannot speak proficient english it is hard for him to find work in the US. He has a bank account which surprised me a little since his visa is expired and he doesn't have a green card. He said that he opened the bank account with his passport. He also said that he had a driver's license from the Dominican Republic. He said that he gets paid with a check and he doesn't work under the table.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Like in all countries, there are good and bad Dominicans. You will have to use your own judgement as we don't know the guy.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
You would be better off giving your money to someone you already hate now, saving yourself a lot of time and aggravation.

And don't laugh. This hit the nail on the head.

Reactions: windeguy

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
You would be better off giving your money to someone you already hate now, saving yourself a lot of time and aggravation.
I am going to use this one. I am still laughing. Are people that clueless that they have to ask this question?

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I am an American citizen. I met a man via Facebook Dating. He ask me to be go out with him and to be his novia. He came in from the Dominican Republic three years ago on a tourist visa. I asked him if he knew he was not going to return to the DR when he came here. He said "yes." His tourist visa has expired. He said that he is looking for a long term relationship and he would like to get married. He lives with his daughter and his grandchildren and he works with the assistance of a friend in construction. I'm not sure if he is on an agenda to get his visa. We have discussed it before and we both agreed that it would be beneficial if we were to ever marry for him to get a visa. We have been intimate twice and the second time I told him "te quiero" he seemed to be a little offended and said that "te quiero" "te amo" are not the same. When I told him te amo he said I was joking and didn't seem to believe me. I didn't say te amo because we have only been dating a few weeks. I didn't want to say it too soon and I would rather he said it first. He has not asked for any money and he seems to like for example he calls and texts often. He said that he is no longer with his daughters' mother. His daughters are in their early twenties. He had a girlfriend back in DR but I am the first and only american women that he has ever dated. What should I do?
I say marry and give us an update in five years
to let us know how the two of you are doing.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Run,run like hell....
Yes - Faster than hell.............
The fact the OP is looking for advice and spilling the details of her intimacy on a public forum has me wondering if they are capable of discerning true affection, starved for attention or someone who just signed on to DR1 to fool everyone, likely the latter

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Sooner or later it will lead to heartache. Hilari gives me the impression she is a very sweet person and perhaps a little naive. I want to help her avoid possibly making a serious mistake.

Reactions: Jourgey

Hilari

Jun 8, 2021
New Jersey
I asked this question because I am honestly seeking advice. He has not asked me for any money or assistance. He has not mentioned marriage and sometimes people from other cultures, countries etc can meet and fall in love.... A may be a bit naive but it happens.

Hilari

Jun 8, 2021
New Jersey
I speak and understand proficient Spanish te quiero is more the type of love you would say to a friend, relative or to someone in a budding romance. Te amo is more intense like someone your in love with or in a serious intense relationship. I thought te quiero would be more appropriate.