Is it even worth it??

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
For most. The remote workers are few and I suspect many are working themselves out of work. Because companies will soon see they can outsource the whole thing somewhere cheaper.
Why not Google and Facebook for example eliminate positions in the high priced Bay Area and hire people in Tennessee, Texas and Florida. Just the savings in state taxes would save them hundreds of millions

So true. My son owns an SEO firm, he only has a NJ staff of about 15. The rest are in other states and countries, many in South America (mostly Argentina, but I think Peru and Chili too), a couple in Asia/India, etc. He’s actually tried to find people in DR, since he’s Dominican, but no luck so far. He actually used the Bay Area and Manhattan as examples, as you did

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
So true. My son owns an SEO firm, he only has a NJ staff of about 15. The rest are in other states and countries, many in South America (mostly Argentina, but I think Peru and Chili too), a couple in Asia/India, etc. He’s actually tried to find people in DR, since he’s Dominican, but no luck so far. He actually used the Bay Area and Manhattan as examples, as you did

What kind of skills is he looking for?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
What kind of skills is he looking for?

No idea.

But this made me smile.
D194474F-6D30-4B9B-B64B-18C087FFC5B5.jpeg

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Next time you car acts up send a video to the car mechanic and ask him for a remote diagnosis.
After no answer look for a new mechanic............because he will assume it was an insult

DR fan1990

Sep 22, 2020
Canada
For most. The remote workers are few and I suspect many are working themselves out of work. Because companies will soon see they can outsource the whole thing somewhere cheaper.
Why not Google and Facebook for example eliminate positions in the high priced Bay Area and hire people in Tennessee, Texas and Florida. Just the savings in state taxes would save them hundreds of millions
Yeah that's my fear as well!

I'm work as translator at Netflix. I translate movie scripts and Netflix TV shows. In a big Canadian city. I have been doing it from home since March, but I also wonder if they won't just start hire translators from rural towns to do the same job.

Gadfly

Jul 7, 2016
Thanks for everyone's insights. I just booked a round-trip to santo domingo in late December for $550 total. :)
All taxes and fees included, including the tourist tax on arrival and the departure tax upon leaving.
Talk about a covid bargain.
sweet

DR fan1990

Sep 22, 2020
Canada
So today my flight to SD was canceled due to a low number of flyers. They offered me a travel credit for the $550 I paid and offered me to book again to a more popular destination with tourists, Puerto Plata. This new trip to Puerto Plata is about $450 round trip. So i just saved 100 bucks. Wow.

Now I just hope puerto plata won't be canceled as well.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Unless it is a Tesla.
Tesla received the worst rating among all cars in Consumer Reports (except for the failing Lincoln model of Ford), so it is good if they have remote diagnosis -if you own a Tesla, you will be needing it soon. But that still won't turn a wrench or install a replacement part

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
So today my flight to SD was canceled due to a low number of flyers. They offered me a travel credit for the $550 I paid and offered me to book again to a more popular destination with tourists, Puerto Plata. This new trip to Puerto Plata is about $450 round trip. So i just saved 100 bucks. Wow.

Now I just hope puerto plata won't be canceled as well.
$450 from Where ?

Status
Not open for further replies.