Is it even worth it??

Status
Not open for further replies.

DR fan1990

Sep 22, 2020
Canada
So I'm planning a trip to DR this holiday season. 3 weeks in santo domingo and boca chica and maybe a few other cities if possible. My buddy cancelled on me due to covid fears so I'll be traveling alone, but I been there twice already and I got a few local friends waiting for me.

But is it even worth it?? Tickets from canada to the DR are cheap as hell right now for the holiday season (paying around USD$550 total round trip), but this 7pm curfew (5pm on weekends) i keep hearing about is a major turn off.

Would you pay $550 for 3 weeks in santo domingo only to be on lockdown after sunset??
I really wanna go though I need this break from work and I hate winter.
I'm still debating. I have until September 30 to decide and pay this ticket.
What would you do?

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
If you are into nature and nightlife is not an essential, then come on down.

With fares like that... definitely, make the trip. If you stay at an all-inclusive, curfew will not affect you while you are inside the resort.
If you stay at an airbnb or rental that has a balcony or terrace, you can still be outside and enjoy the sunsets and tropical breezes even if you will need to stay inside. Curfew ends at 5am, so as of sunset you can be out and about.

Another important point is that in large measure, Dominicans are wearing masks and are aware of keeping physical distance. Also the spread of the disease here is now under control according to health indicators. Also, death rates and hospitalization are way down as Dominicans are treating the virus early. The treatments may not be authorized by the US's CDC, but the death rate in the DR at 190 per 1M is below the 244 of Canada (according to Worldometer) and much below the 600+ in the US.

So don't think twice. Come on down. Remember here you are also covered by full insurance on the Dominican government... just in case.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
If you are into nature and nightlife is not an essential, then come on down.

With fares like that... definitely, make the trip. If you stay at an all-inclusive, curfew will not affect you while you are inside the resort.
If you stay at an airbnb or rental that has a balcony or terrace, you can still be outside and enjoy the sunsets and tropical breezes even if you will need to stay inside. Curfew ends at 5am, so as of sunset you can be out and about.

Another important point is that in large measure, Dominicans are wearing masks and are aware of keeping physical distance. Also the spread of the disease here is now under control according to health indicators. Also, death rates and hospitalization are way down as Dominicans are treating the virus early. The treatments may not be authorized by the US's CDC, but the death rate in the DR at 190 per 1M is below the 244 of Canada (according to Worldometer) and much below the 600+ in the US.

So don't think twice. Come on down. Remember here you are also covered by full insurance on the Dominican government... just in case.
And also I think if your rental has access to a pool that you can use that but maybe ask about that.

DR fan1990

Sep 22, 2020
Canada
go for it, it will be worth it for
go for it, it will be worth it for you to be back again and out of Canuck Snow times.
and our curfew horus already changed(new hrs coming into effect starting this coming monday),
so it will be weekdays 9PM-5AM and weekends 7PM-5AM.
enough time to hang out and enough time to enjoy the beaches every day.
enjoy!
I really hope this is true (about the new curfew hours).
This would be a game changer.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
That insurance coverage is ONLY if you stay at a participating hotel.

Monday the new curfew starts

9pm weekdays....... 7 pm weekends... until 5am
It seems to be working

XTraveller

Aug 21, 2010
You have to consider the 14 days Quarantine when returning to Canada. THIS IS A BIG PROBLEM FOR CANADIANS WANTING TO RETURN TO WORK AFTER A VACATION ABROAD. LET HOPE ITS CHANGES FOR THE UPCOMING WINTER SEASON!

Reactions: DR fan1990

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016
Not sure why you would need to decide by the end of September for a trip over the holidays. I am in the same boat but because of the many variables involved, it's going to be a last minute decision for me. A cheap ticket isn't much good for a cancelled flight.

DR fan1990

Sep 22, 2020
Canada
Not sure why you would need to decide by the end of September for a trip over the holidays. I am in the same boat but because of the many variables involved, it's going to be a last minute decision for me. A cheap ticket isn't much good for a cancelled flight.
Because of this promotion : https://www.airtransat.com/en-CA/bo...RT_YUL&date=12-17-2020_01-07-2021&pax=1-0-0-0

I get to reschedule my trip or do last minute changes on my travel dates for free, if I book by September 30. I know December is still far away but this promotion is meant to cover last minute changes just in case something happens.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Air Canada and Air Canada Vacations is now offering full COVID medical insurance through Mutual Life for any DR flight bookings up to the end of October. It covers hospitalization costs, flight changes, and extra accommodation costs if you contract the virus. I was going to return last April but everything shut down. As soon as Air Canada starts flying into POP, I’m heading back. The only difference for me is I won’t be staying in a resort. I’ll be renting an apartment. The thought of spending an entire winter in Atlantic Canada is not appealing to me.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Two pesos.....
You should go and book it. It is a great discounted fare from what is the standard normal for the month of December.
You will neve see prices like that again.
Jump on it now!

DR fan1990

Sep 22, 2020
Canada
Thanks for everyone's insights. I just booked a round-trip to santo domingo in late December for $550 total. :)
All taxes and fees included, including the tourist tax on arrival and the departure tax upon leaving.
Talk about a covid bargain.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
Thanks for everyone's insights. I just booked a round-trip to santo domingo in late December for $550 total. :)
All taxes and fees included, including the tourist tax on arrival and the departure tax upon leaving.
Talk about a covid bargain.

I wish I had the ability like you to quarantine upon return to Canada for 2 weeks. I envy that you can. Lucky. I want to go so bad.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I work from home so i can quarantine anytime. Can't you work from home? Most workers do it now.
Hard for most to do so. Hard to cook in a restaurant, pump gas, repair cars, tend to sick patients, sell goods and stock shelves, stamp passports, fly planes, drive trucks pour concrete or apply paint, oh you know the thing - through a CAT 5 cable.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I work with the public. It's impossible for me.
For most. The remote workers are few and I suspect many are working themselves out of work. Because companies will soon see they can outsource the whole thing somewhere cheaper.
Why not Google and Facebook for example eliminate positions in the high priced Bay Area and hire people in Tennessee, Texas and Florida. Just the savings in state taxes would save them hundreds of millions

Status
Not open for further replies.