Is it just me or are you nervous about taking the chinese vaccine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Desperation and the liklihood that this will be all that's available for quite some time to come. I have reservations about the Sinovac but I am also very tired of being completely vulnerable to this virus for so long now that grasping at a chance for some degree of protection/disease mitigation is not completely out of the question. Would be nice to have more facts about how well those who have already received this vaccine here are doing but information overload is not usually a Dominican problem.

It seems I have about 24 hours to make my final decision. before I have to go stand in a line. I'll be looking for as much information as I can find in the meantime.

Reactions: Russell

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Desperation and the liklihood that this will be all that's available for quite some time to come. I have reservations about the Sinovac but I am also very tired of being completely vulnerable to this virus for so long now that grasping at a chance for some degree of protection/disease mitigation is not completely out of the question. Would be nice to have more facts about how well those who have already received this vaccine here are doing but information overload is not usually a Dominican problem.

It seems I have about 24 hours to make my final decision. before I have to go stand in a line. I'll be looking for as much information as I can find in the meantime.
Go for it!
We're are with you all the way.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Anyone who trusts a Chinese vaccine at this point is CRAZY
With 768,000 doses arriving in this country a week ago, not good.
I love how they are starting with the 70+ older folks first.
Why isn't anyone asking Luis and the team what made them
decide to guinea pig with these people's lives?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Actually not true. First line workers have had it also, and I believe before they rolled it out to the public.
First line workers did get it. This week it is for those 60 and over.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Every country in the world is doing the distribution much the same way.I don't think I need to explain that group by group because you are a lot smarter than this post. Yes, I might not agree with your position on not taking the vaccine but c'mon this is a stretch of not understanding the data and why they are doing it in this manner.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
FWIW I doubt the people are following the protocol as to is entitled to the vaccine in the DR. EX: This AM I spoke to the starter at golf and asked (somewhat kiddingly) when he was getting the vaccine. He said later today or tomorrow. QUE?? "yes most of the people around here are getting it already". Where? "SD".

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Vaccinating front line workers and then older people first makes sense since CV19 kills a higher percentage of older people than younger people.
All of the CV19 vaccines are using people as guinea pigs compared to the typical time it takes to roll out vaccines which is normally 4 years or more for thorough clinical trials. The state of the world has produced this

Bottom line is if you don't want the vaccine, don't get it. If you want a specific one, get that one. As for the one currently being administered in the DR:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
FWIW I doubt the people are following the protocol as to is entitled to the vaccine in the DR. EX: This AM I spoke to the starter at golf and asked (somewhat kiddingly) when he was getting the vaccine. He said later today or tomorrow. QUE?? "yes most of the people around here are getting it already". Where? "SD".
In Puerto Plata they were checking if people were of the proper age. Every place will be different. This is the DR.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
The protocol for the sinovac is 2nd injection in 14 days. I'm pretty sure the DR is not following this schedule as I seem to recall another poster who has their first injection saying their follow up appointment was in 30 days. One of the links above suggested that a longer period between injections proved more beneficial. Again more conflicting information.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
The protocol for the sinovac is 2nd injection in 14 days. I'm pretty sure the DR is not following this schedule as I seem to recall another poster who has their first injection saying their follow up appointment was in 30 days. One of the links above suggested that a longer period between injections proved more beneficial. Again more conflicting information.
Nothing in the World is perfect. This is what we have here. Either take it or don't take it.

beachcomber

Oct 15, 2003

got mine yesterday behind the fire station in pop quick efficient in and out in an hour

info Highlights.... bbc
China's coronavirus vaccines On paper, one of Sinovac's main advantages is that it can be stored in a standard refrigerator at 2-8 degrees Celsius, like the Oxford vaccine, which is made from a genetically engineered virus that causes the common cold in chimpanzees.

Moderna's vaccine needs to be stored at -20C and Pfizer's vaccine at -70C.

It means that both Sinovac and the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine are a lot more useful to developing countries which might not be able to store large amounts of vaccine at such low temperatures. bbc.

Sinopharm announced on 30 December that phase three trials of the vaccine showed that it was 79% effective - lower than that of Pfizer and Moderna.

However, the United Arab Emirates, which approved a Sinopharm vaccine earlier this month, said the vaccine was 86% effective, according to interim results of its phase three trial.
Analysts point to China's bid to win the vaccine diplomacy race, which has also reportedly seen China's President Xi Jinping pledge to set aside $2bn for the African continent, while also offering Latin American and Caribbean countries a $1bn loan to buy vaccines. It's unclear what the terms of such a deal might be.
It's not clear how much it might cost, but earlier this year, a BBC team in the Chinese city of Yiwu saw that nurses were administering the injections for a fee of around 400 yuan ($60; £45).Bio Farma, a state-owned firm in Indonesia said it would cost around 200,000 rupiah ($13.60; £10) locally.

That is still far higher than the Oxford vaccine, which costs $4 a dose, but lower than Moderna's at $33 per dose.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
i would like to see 'evidence' that the Chinese vaccine is junk...... not trustworthy

I can't find one thing

Current advice is - Take the 1st one you can get
Too early in the game WW for that data. The cup is still on the mantle...however, one can play or not play. Roll the dice or watch. Several posters of our community have stated they would like to watch. How does one know they are wrong?
Very early in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.