Is it just me?

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
PS: if you raise bi-lingual children (or multi-), get it all in before puberty when the brain's methods change. MRIs and such have given proof that the brain's storage and recall of new languages occur at a remove after puberty. Pre-puberty languages, however, all operated as fluidly as one mother language.

PPS: if you're raising a girl, be aware that women of all ages only answer the question they think you will ask AFTER their first answer — which they never give. Live with it.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Is it just me or has anybody else noticed that many Dominicans just won't answer the question, any question. They seem to have to go round and round the mulberry bush even to something simple like "has it stopped raining?" which to my mind has only three possible answers : yes, no or I don't know. I have had to start verbally fighting our 3 year old daughter now she has started school. To the question "do you want a piece of chocolate?" there are only two possible answers: In spanish Si, por favor or No, gracias or possibly Mas tarde por favor is acceptable.

You forgot my two favorite replies-"Porque si" and "porque no".

Man, does that drive me up the freakin' wall.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
Do you think they might just be scared to say "I don't know," don't want to admit to their own lack of understanding or confidence?

I think that answering a question with another question is much worse.

2nd this opinion. they dont know what answer to give to sound competent or confident. so they belabor the issue. Why do you make such a big deal? I always do what I want and I make decisions likewise. YOU want what I want(after all....)

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I never get a straight answer to any question. This is a typical conversation (translated into english), if there is no sign of my car.

me: Who has my car?
him: it is on the way.
him: it is around.
me: who has my bloody car?
him: it will be coming later.
me: (screaming) who has my f^^^^^car
him: its almost here

As Chirimoya said we are all Jeremy Paxmans here!!!

matilda

Reactions: Tamborista

Mujermaravilla

Jun 15, 2006
I never get a straight answer to any question. This is a typical conversation (translated into english), if there is no sign of my car.

him: it is on the way.
him: it is around.
me: who has my bloody car?
him: it will be coming later.
me: (screaming) who has my f^^^^^car
him: its almost here

As Chirimoya said we are all Jeremy Paxmans here!!!

matilda

LOL. That's the way it goes....

I can't stand it either. After the second or third time I stop. I tell them: You are answering a question that I not even asking. Now, answer my question. Or I just say... I'm not asking you that.

Tu me estas dando la respuesta a una pregunta que no te estoy preguntando. Responde mi pregunta. Tambien digo... Yo no te estoy preguntando eso.

It works for me.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Non sequitur answers actually have to do with the 800 years of Caliphate rule after which the Spanish language got politically engineered (over a period of 200 contentious years) to mollify eight different Iberian languages.

The project resulted in a highly legible language. Since it got published only afer the arrival of the printing press, Spanish has clear spelling and pronunciation rules, not the agglomeration of monks' miscopyings which the press froze into the horrendous spelling of French and English.

Great post, pelaut. Since linguistics is something I know precious little about, I found that post both thought provoking and an inspiration to delve further. Thank you.

woofsback

Bronze
Dec 20, 2009
for all the posters who think the dr's are uninteligent
i have been corrected many times in my use of spanish
and not by businessmen but by locals :)
seems they know more than me :)

i would assume this make me a Dumbinican

as far as i'm concerned that's the new definition
for any foreigner who thinks he's better than a local

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Maybe the need for a yes/no answer is our problem as westerners coming from a busy rat-race type society where all we have time for is the briefest of answers?

Yes you are right that is what I was trying to say in my post, I agreed with you I don't know what is the deal with this people of the civilized countries always in a hurry, some thing that bother me is that even on Sunday when you get out of church if the f***king speed limit is 45 you have to drive @ 50 if don't want to have a rear ended.

Crazy.....

JJ

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
That is better than having them give you an incorrect answer, which happens frequently, especially when you are asking for directions to some place.

Directions to some place....I have never gotten a correct answer from someone working in a grocery store on which isle a certain food was in, and they work there.

Reactions: Tamborista

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
for all the posters who think the dr's are uninteligent
i have been corrected many times in my use of spanish
and not by businessmen but by locals :)
seems they know more than me :)

Wow, that's pretty good. I guess knowing your own language makes you intelligent.

woofsback

Bronze
Dec 20, 2009
lol

or it could be that you think you know what they're saying
but they know what your not saying :)

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
I actually think of Dominicans as very intelligent people. It is just that most of us don't know everything. It is hard for me to say "I don't know" sometimes to be honest, especially on a job interview.:paranoid:

But I have to say it because not answering the question at all, or giving some vague answer looks even worse.

Reactions: woofsback

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Most of you expats will rarely see a dominican who is more intelligent than the ones you see in resort areas or work in service sector. The educated, well-to-dominicans, actually want to stay away from you vira-lata loving, cuba-libre drinking expats who find living in sosua / cabarete so fascinating. So might as well, start liking the ones you are living with in your area, this is all you folks will ever get to meet.
AZB

woofsback

Bronze
Dec 20, 2009
wow!!!!

do i sense a distaste for ex-pats and tourists?

sorry if we crowd your perferct little world,

but the world doesn't belong to one person :)
although some think and act like it does :)

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Most of you expats will rarely see a dominican who is more intelligent than the ones you see in resort areas or work in service sector. The educated, well-to-dominicans, actually want to stay away from you vira-lata loving, cuba-libre drinking expats who find living in sosua / cabarete so fascinating. So might as well, start liking the ones you are living with in your area, this is all you folks will ever get to meet.
AZB

Robert & Moderators,
If you are unable or unwilling to prevent posts of this nature then those of us who bite our tongue & say "Oh he is just sounding off again & being typically XYZ - uncouth & full of vitriol" will be tempted to respond in a manner that will bring the writers of these childish outbursts down to size. The ONLY trouble with this is that you & the moderators will close the thread & our efforts to EDUCATE the offender in how to become a worthwhile citizen would be lost. IF you decide to allow such attacks on MOST OF US EX_PATS, please be so kind as to leave the thread open so that we may respond accordingly!

So as to CORRECT the above poster, MOST of us Ex-Pats liaise with the Dominicans that come into our lives on a daily basis & MOST of us do not care if they are intelligent &/or 'well to do'. These Dominicans impact on our lives & enrich our lives accordingly so we communicate with them & sometimes make long lasting friends out of them - we do not Arse-lick purely to the 'Well-To-Do' ones as others seem to. That smacks of an unsatissfied lifestyle &/or desperation for business or personal recognition which is certainly is not a lifestyle I would want to engage in!

PLEASE do not delete the previous posts of this poster - let us respond as we see fit. Hopefully our responses will ensure he returns to his medications with all due haste! ~ Grahame.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Let us not forget that AZB is a pseudonym for Aftab (?) who according to everyone who has met him is a warm, wonderful human being. He is described as witty and intelligent in real life - ask Robert. I am sure he is.

But getting back to AZB -
Maybe there is a little truth in what he says but the delivery is offensive.
I do not think that he would be welcomed at the level of society in which I move as they would not tolerate that kind of base, low level attitude.
I try not to be a snob but you have to draw the line somewhere.
I suspect that AZB would not be welcome in half the places that Aftab hangs out.

DR1ers respond to his posts which are designed to offend and provoke a reaction.

I think his musings work better on the Mars & Venus threads.

I think AZBs posts are designed to make him come across as an uncouth, bigotted, small minded man with a serious self confidence problem - it is not an accident.

He makes me laugh.

Last edited:

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Some of usknew Aftab before he became AZB PedroC. Some of us used to visit him for treatment before he became the Big Shot chiropractor & had to leave for money & fame in Dantiago - before he had to leave for money & fame in Santo Domingo - before .............

Yes, he did know how to charm even in those days! :cheeky: ;) :ermm: ~ Grahame.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
wow!!!!

do i sense a distaste for ex-pats and tourists?

sorry if we crowd your perferct little world,

but the world doesn't belong to one person :)
although some think and act like it does :)

The distate stemming from this thread comes from the folks who have called Dominicans dumb...Give me a break (not intended to you woofsback)

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
AZB should be restricted to either the clown bin, or mars, and venus. Aftab however should be allowed to post on any of the threads.

One seems very in tune with the island the other is a crass bore, who would not be allowed in most colmado's, let alone normal society.

Have never met either one, but from the writings, would only allow aftab in my presence. AZB would be kept/ignored at the other end of my spectrum.