Is it that bad in DR??

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
IMO More accurately- a dominican masters degree is equal to a western world grade 12 graduate, other than math skills, where the grade 12 grad will win hands down.
Sometimes the truth is a little negative sounding, this is unfortunate.

While I don't disagree with you I can guarantee my wife's math skills are far above Grade 12. Her Statistics skill-set is good also. She has taught here in Canada and helped Immigrants from Europe, Cuba, Serbia, Russia...etc bone up on their math so they can get jobs- and these are people with degrees. She has received high praise for her teaching skills. A dominican Master's Degree may not be worth the paper it's written on, but there are many intelligent, well educated Dominicans, that received their education in the DR.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
bob, no one, and that includes me, says there are no well educated dominicans. there are but few and far between. i think american title is more worthy for a person who wants to work in america.

genistar

Jul 29, 2009
Oakville, Ontario, Canada
Where were you guys?

Hey guys... these last few posts have been supporting what I've been trying to say in this thread... where were you all when I was getting beaten up by other posters? LOL :)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i was always saying the same thing as you :)
if i had a chance to study in the usa i would jump on it asap.

LIZ87

Sep 7, 2010
i was always saying the same thing as you :)
if i had a chance to study in the usa i would jump on it asap.

I appreciate your opinion. I don't agree with your opinion but you are entitled to your own. I am granted with the opportunity to study in America but what people don't understand is that America is not what is use to be in many ways. In order to attend college or a university, you need to have money or be able to take loans to cover the cost. By the time, you finish school, you will be paying your loans for a very long time. There is many people that drop out of school or not go because the money for school is so much. The college tuition fo rmost school rises either every year or every semester.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Bunch of opinion by people who has never studied in the DR system to be qualifying them. Stop with the typical "of if it is from USA then it must be better mantra". There's plenty of examples how far Dominican education has taken several people here in the USA.

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
I got a BA in the former USSR and MS in the US. Education from the USSR is a much better quality degree. Quality of education in the US is not that great, but my company paid for it. It is all about personal level of effort you put into it, nothing else.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
a good plan

I got a BA in the former USSR and MS in the US. Education from the USSR is a much better quality degree. Quality of education in the US is not that great, but my company paid for it. It is all about personal level of effort you put into it, nothing else.

I think that this is the most sensible approach. A degree from any accredited Dominican University is valued less than their US equivalent within the US job market (mostly because of employer stupidity) but it will get you into grad school just as easily and a lot cheaper than the degree from a US school.

You may have mistaken the "better quality degree" for better quality of education but the quality of the education recieived is pretty much up to the student in US schools where availability of educational resources is much higher, depending on the university. There are no "lower quality" educations or degrees coming out of Johns Hopkins, Cornell, MIT or Stanford.

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
Medical degree from an accredited university is a good one to get abroad because you can work in the US as long as you pass all of the required tests. It is amazing how many foreigners work in the US hospitals, probably around 80% of staff.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Medical degree from an accredited university is a good one to get abroad because you can work in the US as long as you pass all of the required tests. It is amazing how many foreigners work in the US hospitals, probably around 80% of staff.

Dental is also good.