Is it time to remove the Nicolas de Ovando statue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Nicolas-de-Ovando-estatua-Acento-e1600773067477.jpg

Journalist Vianco Martínez writes in Acento that now that there is a new global awareness of who should be our heroes, it might be time to remove the statue of the first Spanish governor of the island of Santo Domingo, Nicolás de Ovando. Ovando is credited with constructing the first Spanish city in the New World, complete with its aqueduct and port area, and its historic buildings that have survived for centuries. But Martínez says few Dominicans today are aware he was a cruel ruler, and the original inhabitants, the peaceful Taino Indians would die at a pace of 20,000 a year during his rule. Ovando’s statue is located in Plaza de España, in front of the Columbus Alcazar.

Read more in Spanish:Acento...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

I love Azua

Dec 3, 2011
123 History then and History now are 2 different things . 20-20 hindsight is always screwed up by people who have no real understanding of History. This is my personal take on History not my feelings which don't count

Reactions: Joseph NY2STI

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
123 History then and History now are 2 different things . 20-20 hindsight is always screwed up by people who have no real understanding of History. This is my personal take on History not my feelings which don't count

Completely agree. The Trujillo comment above was me trying to be facetious.

The taking down of statues is stupid, but it makes those who can't do anything feel like they did something.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
This man was not a hero and should not be recognized as such. But taking down his statue does not erase the atrocities of the encomienda system or bring back the Taínos.
Re-write the plaque on his statue to reflect the brutality of abuses, and place a statue of a famous Taino Chief next to him.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
Anacaona be the most appropriate, although she is already grovelling at the foot of Cristobal Colon.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
He did what he thought was best at the time. It was the way world worked back then. Tearing down statues of people who built this world will not change anything.
If you want to put a plaque at the statue that lists what todays generation thinks is wrong that's great. The next generation can come along and change it whatever they want.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
Hopefully in the future we don’t think wiping out entire populations and slavery are the way to go. But hey 🤷🏻‍♀️.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
This man was not a hero and should not be recognized as such. But taking down his statue does not erase the atrocities of the encomienda system or bring back the Taínos.
Re-write the plaque on his statue to reflect the brutality of abuses, and place a statue of a famous Taino Chief next to him.

I pretty much agree here. I hate the tear down statue syndrome. But I also hate excusing him for murder and mistreatment of the Tainos because of culture. He was purported to be a Christian. He should have acted like one.

Reactions: Auryn

etolw

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
Hopefully in the future we don’t think wiping out entire populations and slavery are the way to go. But hey 🤷🏻‍♀️.
I believe if the prognosis regarding climate change comes true, some persons/culture will be seen in another light.
Just an example. I do not want to go there.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
H U G E elephant in the room when it comes to who should be honoured or reviled for their role in the conquest of the Americas.

Reactions: Auryn

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
While yes, a discussion piece for expatriates within this proper web forum, hopefully the ultimate decision making process of any of these "ideas/suggestions" rests solely with Dominicans.......without foreign influences interjecting.
Foreign advice, in the name of "global awareness" is neither needed, nor desired, for domestic issues of such.
You can tear down your statues and monuments, while reinventing your own history.
Leave ours alone! 🇩🇴🇩🇴🇩🇴

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
While yes, a discussion piece for expatriates within this proper web forum, hopefully the ultimate decision making process of any of these "ideas/suggestions" rests solely with Dominicans.......without foreign influences interjecting.
Foreign advice, in the name of "global awareness" is neither needed, nor desired, for domestic issues of such.
You can tear down your statues and monuments, while reinventing your own history.
Leave ours alone! 🇩🇴🇩🇴🇩🇴
Absolutely no reason to take down the states, just as there isn't in any other country. Now for example in the states they took all these statues, some of whom the removers knew,nothing about the reason for the statue, but in Seattle they left the statue of Lenin????? I am not a Christian but have no valid reason for asking forcstatues of Christ, or Budda. .etc be removed. As somebody suggested just put a plaque with the unvarnished truth on it and let people draw their own conclusions about the person in the statue.

Reactions: Caonabo and etolw

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
I don't think any statues or monuments should be removed or torn down. The people on these things built this world as we know it and people of their generation obviously liked some of their actions as these statues didn't erect themselves. The narrative on these should be accurate and explain why the did what they did no matter how repulsive it is.

The world has given us many cruel and brutal leaders over the years. Tearing down any markings of them does absolutely nothing. If the actions of these people can be explained on their statues hopefully we can learn from history and not repeat it. All we need is some non partisan historians (if such a thing exists) to write the real truth not todays version of it.

Reactions: etolw and Caonabo

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
you mean there were brutal leaders several hundred years ago.. shocking !!! We should erase all of history and let the invertebrate run the world.

It is truly a pointed trail of this generation, by their respective handlers.
All are invited to investigate times and occurrences throughout the course of history....globally, where such actions have occurred.
The intended, and directed eradication of one's history.
None progressed positively.
The situations/occurrences may have corrected themselves in time, but the price had to be paid due to the irresponsible actions of groupings of persons, and their handlers.
I do not want to see my birth nation fall victim to this evil pursuit, that happens to be currently popular globally.

Status
Not open for further replies.