Is Puerto Plata safe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
"they've taken to intimidating and asking for stuff"
What the hell is going on up there on the North Coast? I wish the best for everybody. Your health, your businesses, your investments, but if life is really that bad up there as such, you may want to consider other alternatives. You're all pretty much sitting there like sheep surrounded by wolves. Intimidating and asking for stuff? That's about two seconds before being attacked, robbed, and becoming a crime statistic.....any place in the world. You can't tolerate this behavior. You should be demanding more protection from your consulates. Please be careful.
It's not really that bad up here as such.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
It's not really that bad up here as such.

There are posters who claim yes it is. There are posters who claim no it isn't. Which is it to us non-North Coasters? In strictly reading news reports from up there, I tend to lean on the side of yes it is.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
It's OK during the day with the exception of those who hustle you to watch your car everywhere you park. After 10 PM I'm not comfortable in PP. More likely to get robbed there than Sosua because there are loads of creepers there at night.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Real cliquish group here, it seems.

Come on now, join the Fun.. Participate , make friends .. no harm was meant. you meet one of these Expats , you will learn MORE on one Trip, than some have learned in 10 trips on their own... its worth it . participate .
you gotta admit, asking if the water is Cold, and if you are on the Atlantic ocean side or the Caribbean Ocean side,, that was pretty funny right there . no ?

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
Probably a lot safer than New York or even St Louis for that matter. A guy got shot last night 3 miles from me here in Hot Springs Arkansas, so what means safe?
Der Fish

Yeahh, but the guy in hot springs shouldn't have been trying to take down the Bill Clinton sign comming into town..*

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
it is the latitude that matters, not the ocean. it is 17 degrees north, so we are still talking tropical heat.

Yep.. Latitudes and attitudes are what matter most down here.. with every change in Latitude comes the need to change ones attitude a little cause you ain't in Kansas anymor.. *

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Come on now, join the Fun.. Participate , make friends .. no harm was meant. you meet one of these Expats , you will learn MORE on one Trip, than some have learned in 10 trips on their own... its worth it . participate .
you gotta admit, asking if the water is Cold, and if you are on the Atlantic ocean side or the Caribbean Ocean side,, that was pretty funny right there . no ?

Not funny really, but symptomatic of many visitors.

Atlantic Ocean, Caribbean Sea.....

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
Do not come. Things will not end well for you.

Come on ROLLOUT. We ALL had our first trip outside our country of birth. I didn't detect an age by the questions so it could be a younger person venturing out for the first time. I think the common sense advice given, if followed, should ensure a safe venture for this person. Hopefully if they venture outside the states more in the futre their eyes will open and one day they will be giving instead of receiving advice here on DR1.

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
So he aint alone.. Some never leave the AI for 3 straight Weeks ..

I run into people at the airport that say they love the DR but, they want to find some Dominican money to take back. WTF? They think the resort is representative sampling of the DR?

Of course, I pulled a 100 and 50 note a few coins and charged $10. It's part of the Dominican experience, but I doubt they knew it.

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
People who want to expand their horizons and learn new cultures, foods and experiences arent going to go to the Dominican Republic. This is a place for a cheap jot holiday or a cheap place to live. If we frame their touristic experience that way we can understand the foreigner who comes and enjoys their holiday but has no interest in seeing much off the resort.

jd_mine

Sep 24, 2003
"they've taken to intimidating and asking for stuff"
What the hell is going on up there on the North Coast? I wish the best for everybody. Your health, your businesses, your investments, but if life is really that bad up there as such, you may want to consider other alternatives. You're all pretty much sitting there like sheep surrounded by wolves. Intimidating and asking for stuff? That's about two seconds before being attacked, robbed, and becoming a crime statistic.....any place in the world. You can't tolerate this behavior. You should be demanding more protection from your consulates. Please be careful.

LOL. I guess you have a lot more confidence in your consulate than I do in mine. :)

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I plan to visit in April. I'm wondering if it's safe there. Are there any American restaurants there? It's on the Atlantic, right? So I take it the water is cold??? Thanks in advance.

If you want American Restaurants than you better go to Florida. The whole purpose of travelling to another country is to experience something different. Sorry to be so blunt but you don't seem to have a clue. Are you staying at an all-inclusive? With your questions I would say that would be your best bet. Good luck and good travels.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
If you want American Restaurants than you better go to Florida. The whole purpose of travelling to another country is to experience something different. Sorry to be so blunt but you don't seem to have a clue. Are you staying at an all-inclusive? With your questions I would say that would be your best bet. Good luck and good travels.

thanks for saying what i wanted to. anyone who plans to travel, and wants to know if he can get creature comforts of home in his proposed destination, should not leave home.

some time in the early 90s, a police officer from NJ came down to Santo Domingo to hook up with a group of us who had arrived the day before. we went to meet him at the airport, and get him back to our hotel. on the trip from the airport, the first thing he wanted to know was where was the closest Wendy?s. we knew it was going to be all downhill from there.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
funny that such food moralizing comes from members who regularly slate dominican food as barely edible.

the OP wants to eat burgers and pizza? good for him, it's his preference, not yours.

to answer the OP: puerto plata is generally safe for tourists; there are restaurants serving american food and two joints that you know from america (burger king and dominoes); it's on the atlantic ocean coast; water is not cold.

Status
Not open for further replies.