Is Puerto Plata safe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
There are posters who claim yes it is. There are posters who claim no it isn't. Which is it to us non-North Coasters? In strictly reading news reports from up there, I tend to lean on the side of yes it is.

So you prefer to go with others who comment from afar and journalists who need to find a sometimes sensationalised story than those of us with actual first-hand knowledge of living here?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
funny that such food moralizing comes from members who regularly slate dominican food as barely edible.

the OP wants to eat burgers and pizza? good for him, it's his preference, not yours.

to answer the OP: puerto plata is generally safe for tourists; there are restaurants serving american food and two joints that you know from america (burger king and dominoes); it's on the atlantic ocean coast; water is not cold.

it?s not just the food preference, dv8. it?s a mindset. this guy is not asking about American restaurants because he does not like Dominican food. this guy just wants American food, period.

this is the kind of person who gets rankled because his waiter cannot speak to him in english, er, American.

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
If I remember right Gorgon (Jamaican Mike) you served American style food when you were at Atlantic One .

lesia787

Jan 16, 2010
I don't see why it is so bad to look for the familiar food if you travel outside your country. On the 8th day in Thailand, I've found out that I can't stand their food any longer, not a bit of it. Too spicy, too exotic. I've found restaurant that served the food from my country. Did I travel 10K km just for nothing, yeah? I don't get it why the author should be happy to eat all sorts of pollo and habichuela for the next 2-3 weeks.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
So you prefer to go with others who comment from afar and journalists who need to find a sometimes sensationalised story than those of us with actual first-hand knowledge of living here?

No, I prefer to rely on facts from intelligent, articulate, honest people. Not those that can't put two words together, absent a language barrier, nor those with a monetary agenda. Unless a poster states where they are, such as me, how does anybody know where they are posting from right now? Sensationalized journalism? Although I truly like this forum, have found tons of good advice here, and enjoy the comments and views of most posters, it is not my only source for news. I watch Dominican news channels CDN, Telemicro and SIN, as well as my local news here in SPM. I read Listin Diario, Hoy, and Nacional newspapers (hardcopies) every day. When possible, I listen to news talk shows on the radio in Spanish, yes....here in DR. It's called staying informed. The tragic events that have occurred on the Northcoast have indeed happened. A German national here. A Swiss national there. An American national here. An Italian national there. Have these events not occurred, or were you just not interested in paying attention? No, this is not a personal attack, but don't tell me that the feelings of anxiety some have living up there, or the vicious crimes that have occurred are due to commenters afar or sensationalized journalism. Please. Have more respect for the victims than that.

Last edited:

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
No, I prefer to rely on facts from intelligent, articulate, honest people. Not those that can't put two words together, absent a language barrier, nor those with a monetary agenda. Unless a poster states where they are, such as me, how does anybody know where they are posting from right now?
No, this is not a personal attack,

I'll say no more on this because I don't want to bore other members with an argument between us, but it sure sounds like a personal attack. I am posting from my home in Cabarete right now.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
There are posters who claim yes it is. There are posters who claim no it isn't. Which is it to us non-North Coasters? In strictly reading news reports from up there, I tend to lean on the side of yes it is.

I thought you had a new fitting for your tin foil hat... I see it's snug still

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
I'll say no more on this because I don't want to bore other members with an argument between us, but it sure sounds like a personal attack. I am posting from my home in Cabarete right now.
Typed words can take on a different meaning than their intended purpose. This is a major problem in our advanced communication age of 2017. I don't know ya, and I don't have any reason to make things personal. Me, I'm old fashioned, and I enjoy intelligent debate, provided with facts. Comes from spending many years frequenting Irish pubs in New York. On my next vuelta up to the Northcoast, or your's down South, drinks are on me. No harm. No foul. Nothing personal intended.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
I thought you had a new fitting for your tin foil hat... I see it's snug still
Tin foil hat - Wikipedia
Man wearing a tin foil hat. A tin foil hat is a hat made from one or more sheets of aluminium foil, or a piece of conventional headgear lined with foil, worn in the belief or hope that it shields the brain from threats such as electromagnetic fields, mind control, and mind reading.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I live in Cabarete and have been to Pto. Plata dozens of times mainly for shopping and the medical clinics. IMO, Pto.P. is a fairly safe city - especially in the downtown area and the area where all the medical clinics like Bournegal and Gregorio Hernandez are located. It's also a fairly nice and clean city -at least by Dominican standards. The malecon is nice, but there are some long, lonely stretches that would probably be best to avoid. In general, Pto.P. not exactly a place where I'd want to take evening strolls though - at least not after 9pm.

BelgianMik

Jul 9, 2015
I live in Puerto Plata for 4 years now and have a bar on the Malecon for 3,5 years. It is as safe as my old town in Belgium. In the day it is perfect, in the night it is also ok, but there are places to avoid at night, just like in Belgium.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I live in Puerto Plata for 4 years now and have a bar on the Malecon for 3,5 years. It is as safe as my old town in Belgium. In the day it is perfect, in the night it is also ok, but there are places to avoid at night, just like in Belgium.

Yes, I'm sure the part of the Malecon where the bars and restaurants are is safe.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Yes, I'm sure the part of the Malecon where the bars and restaurants are is safe.
Yes I go there frequently for the little bars on the Malecon beach drive and for breakfast and one of our doctors, but I seldom go at night an I am always out of there by 10 PM. But I would not postpone a trip there, just don't flash money or jewelry. But it wasn't safe in the daytime for these two men:

http://www.nicepeoplenetworking.com/2015/german-shot-and-robbed-in-puerto-plata/

http://www.nicepeoplenetworking.com/2016/more-arrests-for-german-tourist-murder/

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Yes I go there frequently for the little bars on the Malecon beach drive and for breakfast and one of our doctors, but I seldom go at night an I am always out of there by 10 PM. But I would not postpone a trip there, just don't flash money or jewelry. But it wasn't safe in the daytime for these two men:

http://www.nicepeoplenetworking.com/2015/german-shot-and-robbed-in-puerto-plata/

http://www.nicepeoplenetworking.com/2016/more-arrests-for-german-tourist-murder/

In the first case it appears the man was targeted becuase it was known he was carrying a lot of money. That happens quite frequently here in the DR and just about anywhere.

I remember hearing about the other case. Didn't say where on the Malecon it happened, but as I mentioned, there are some long, lonely stretches that I would avoid and wouldn't walk around anywhere here in the DR wearing a gold chain. Very tragic.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
In the first case it appears the man was targeted becuase it was known he was carrying a lot of money. That happens quite frequently here in the DR and just about anywhere.

I remember hearing about the other case. Didn't say where on the Malecon it happened, but as I mentioned, there are some long, lonely stretches that I would avoid and wouldn't walk around anywhere here in the DR wearing a gold chain. Very tragic.

True Cavok but I always have a minimum of 4 to 5 thousand pesos on me and that alone is enough to be killed by some of these guys. I don't wear gold except in my teeth - maybe a good reason to keep my mouth closed.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006

the german tourist was killed very close to bomberos.

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
funny that such food moralizing comes from members who regularly slate dominican food as barely edible.

the OP wants to eat burgers and pizza? good for him, it's his preference, not yours....

The moralizing bothers me too. I have a family member with a severe seafood allergy, so much so that a utensil used to serve shrimp then used to serve another dish without being washed between uses has him in the WC within 30 minutes, not to be seen for hours.

Since he does not speak any Spanish and I am not fluent enough to be able to communicate the allergy to kitchen staff, we have to be selective on where and what we eat when we travel together.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
The moralizing bothers me too. I have a family member with a severe seafood allergy, so much so that a utensil used to serve shrimp then used to serve another dish without being washed between uses has him in the WC within 30 minutes, not to be seen for hours.

Since he does not speak any Spanish and I am not fluent enough to be able to communicate the allergy to kitchen staff, we have to be selective on where and what we eat when we travel together.

and i guess that the American restaurant will have kitchen staff which has been flown in from Sioux Falls. as long as the workers are Dominican, the hygeine issues will prevail, whether the restaurant is Wild Bill America´s, or Comedor Moises.

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
So what's your issue? If we aren't comfortable we go for burgers or pizza where we know there is no risk of seafood exposure. If I think that I can relay our situation to kitchen staff we try other places. SMH

...the OP wants to eat burgers and pizza? good for him, it's his preference, not yours...

Status
Not open for further replies.