Is Puerto Plata safe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
So what's your issue? If we aren't comfortable we go for burgers or pizza where we know there is no risk of seafood exposure. If I think that I can relay our situation to kitchen staff we try other places. SMH

i think you misunderstood. i have no issue with someone wanting american food. heck, i'd have burgers and pizza over la bandera every day of the week. it's to each their own.

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
dv8 the "what's your issue" was not directed at you but at gorgon.

i may not have properly quoted here. I fully agree it's to each their own, and as in our case especially so because of food allergies thus the reference to burgers and pizza.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
dv8 the "what's your issue" was not directed at you but at gorgon.

i may not have properly quoted here. I fully agree it's to each their own, and as in our case especially so because of food allergies thus the reference to burgers and pizza.

i have no issue. i made a simple statement, which is informed by observation, and experience. there are people who refuse to get out of their bubble and try other aspects of other cultures. as i said, they travel abroad and they spend a weekend in another place, yet they have to have Wendy´s and Little Caesars, waitresses who can speak english, and the absolute assurance that they will be able to see Senfeld reruns if they are on. i am aware that there are people with health considerations, butt that has nothing to do with American restaurants. if you have a seafood allergy, a Dominican burger will not land you in the emergency room.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Make the internet great again Gorgon!
I know you can do it, cheescake tastes for all.

santiagodude

Nov 25, 2012
Sorry folks but Puerto Plata is not "safe" and to imply it is is misleading......That said many places in the US and Europe are not "safe" as well.
Anyone seeking assurances of safety best stay home with the front door locked and shotgun cocked.

Natu

Jan 20, 2013
Puerto Plata is just as safe as Belgium?? Damn!! What's next?? Capotillo being safer than Iceland?? or Los Minas being safer than Denmark or Switzerland?? lol

But being serious, Puerto Plata is not as bad as some people say (like that guy that said that he had to duck and come out shooting), but its not thaaaat safe, you still have to watch out for your surroundings and use some common sense. Don't make youself look like the typical naive tourist. You do this, you will be fine.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
To tell you the truth, I feel as safe in Puerto Plata as in certain neighbourhoods in Antwerp (Borgerhout) with all those "Marocs" and "refugees" that came in without papers.

Natu

Jan 20, 2013
To tell you the truth, I feel as safe in Puerto Plata as in certain neighbourhoods in Antwerp (Borgerhout) with all those "Marocs" and "refugees" that came in without papers.

Strange!! Looks like things have gotten pretty ugly up there in Europe. Last time i checked Belgium was one of the safest countries in the whole world with a murder rate of 1.5 per 100,000 people which is pretty low compared to DR's 17 per 100,000. 11 times higher than belgium, but then again, things can change alot within 1 year, and yes, i heard that refugees are making the crime rates sky rocket in all of Europe.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
I stay in Playa Dorada and frequent a Puerto Plata a lot. Restaurants, bars on the Malecon, and shopping at the supermercados. On weekends I'm extremely careful, less so during the work week. Staying alert and being courteous with a simple respectful no gracias Senor keeps me fairly safe. Being there with friends makes me feel really safe. Being there at night requires a greater degree of awareness, especially walking through certain areas. Same with driving through. Daytime is safer than nighttime. All common sense. I would never give up visiting my POP friends because of fear. It's a city like any other and you have to keep you wits about you. 

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
Well, the mods have spoken, and albeit silently. I was only trying to respond to a person's question, and the first part of my answer was deleted before I had a chance for the second part. Sorry, had to do some laundry. I knew American politics/government would be a touchy subject....but it is what it is. I really don't need to buy another 2 week suspension for trying to answer somebody's question. At least I know that there were some in agreement with the first part of my answer before it became "hidden content". Seriously.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Probably everyone goes to La Sirena occasionally, my last trip was to get a microwave. But occasionally I go to do business or take a friend to the doctor, and occasionally get cell phones serviced.
But my question is what to do about the annoying street car jockeys who constantly appear in the center offering to help you park (yeah I've been driving for 50 years, no help needed) and "watch" your car. If you are rude you may wind up with vandalism, if you pay them there will be more. I don't want a broken window or flat tire over 25 pesos. I had one middle age Dominican man follow me a block and a half and into the Orange store - and that jerk spoke English with a New York accent !
Gorgon - you probably know.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
"jerk spoke English with a New York accent"
But there's no deportees here?!?!?!?!? Yeah, mid 40's-50's street people with New York experience prefer to be here in DR, rather than there in NY. Hmmmmm. As far as the other part of the question, pay the 25 pesos, because that's not worth the fight. This country has bigger issues.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
"jerk spoke English with a New York accent"
But there's no deportees here?!?!?!?!? Yeah, mid 40's-50's street people with New York experience prefer to be here in DR, rather than there in NY. Hmmmmm. As far as the other part of the question, pay the 25 pesos, because that's not worth the fight. This country has bigger issues.
Especially this time of year. Too darn cold North of Florida

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
Strange!! Looks like things have gotten pretty ugly up there in Europe. Last time i checked Belgium was one of the safest countries in the whole world with a murder rate of 1.5 per 100,000 people which is pretty low compared to DR's 17 per 100,000. 11 times higher than belgium, but then again, things can change alot within 1 year, and yes, i heard that refugees are making the crime rates sky rocket in all of Europe.

A safe feeling doesnt have to do with murders only..

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
Please be a bit responsible here. Obviously the OP is not used to travel and for sure will be an easy target here. For some of DR1s Puerto Plata is quite safe but in general Puerto Plata is dangerous. All sorts of crime and attacks all the time... So please dont start showing your muscles because if something sad happens to the OP you might have a part of responsability... So OP follow my advice: stay home or go for all inclusive and stay inside... :)

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
There is a first time for everything. Same for the OP. Just go and enjoy and don't be nervous, PP is not a jungle.

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
Don't flash a lot of money, don't wear expensive jewelry and don't wear sox with your sandals.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Although I'm sure Popeye (long time no post) would disagree with me..
I don't think Puerto Plata is very safe at all. i know several people who
have been robbed up there, including some current and former DR1 members.

Status
Not open for further replies.