Is Santiago relatively safer than other cities?

Kozy

Jun 1, 2002
Thanks Jazz21 for you for your report regarding life en "el Pekin". Some people just don't want to know or acknowledge the massive destruction that drugs and the drug culture have had on so many poor barrios in the country. Only someone filled with false self importance, or a death wish, would choose not to know where the very dangerous barrios are and avoid them like the plague.

paintedlbird7

Mar 8, 2012
why do you want to know how safe a place is ? do you want to let your guard down

I only read the last many comments until now. Thanks, by curiosity, what were the barrios to stay away from? I want to know if I was in one, (although the worst thing that happened to me at the time was someone going into my stuff and robbed me when I wasn't looking).

vacanodr

Jun 10, 2012
I keep hearing from locals and visitors that Santo Domingo is super dangerous. I was warned to stay from Santo Domingo by an immigrant from Cotui upon my return to NYC from Santo Domingo a few years ago. I just laughed because in Cotui when I visited, someone's neck was sliced into three with a machete in a robbery in a colmado and I saw no crime in SD. I lived in Santiago for 3 years and someone was shot dead next door at the colmado. Three neighbors were robbed and someone pulled a gun on a close friend of mine. In Santo Domingo I never saw one issue. I even would walk alone in the very early morning to visit a girlfriend's apartment. In NYC before they cleaned it up, I used to see and hear crimes all day and night. I think it all depends. Crimes can happen anywhere. I would not say Santiago is safer or more dangerous.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I keep hearing from locals and visitors that Santo Domingo is super dangerous. I was warned to stay from Santo Domingo by an immigrant from Cotui upon my return to NYC from Santo Domingo a few years ago. I just laughed because in Cotui when I visited, someone's neck was sliced into three with a machete in a robbery in a colmado and I saw no crime in SD. I lived in Santiago for 3 years and someone was shot dead next door at the colmado. Three neighbors were robbed and someone pulled a gun on a close friend of mine. In Santo Domingo I never saw one issue. I even would walk alone in the very early morning to visit a girlfriend's apartment. In NYC before they cleaned it up, I used to see and hear crimes all day and night. I think it all depends. Crimes can happen anywhere. I would not say Santiago is safer or more dangerous.
Much depends on *where* within the cities you are. Like anywhere, some areas are safer than others.

"Santo Domingo" amd "Santiago" are BIG places with vastly different neighborhoods...

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

because you did not see crime in Santo Domingo means absolutely nothing. i did not see Halley's Comet. and the female engineer who was shot in the eyes will not see crime, either. Santo Domingo is a dangerous place, at this point in time. just ask the group of doctors from Utah who were all robbed at gunpoint in the early night.

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
I know it's only 9:30 and you are probably on your second Brugal and OJ, you are quoting VJS from November 2012!

Oops...........:bored:

I think the problem has less to do with the Brugal and OJ and more to do with the fact that the peeps are bored out of their minds and ready to respond to almost anything..

Last edited:

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I know it's only 9:30 and you are probably on your second Brugal and OJ, you are quoting VJS from November 2012!

i know Derfish is a grown man, and can mount his own defense. i however find the suggestion in that remark to be objectionable, since i have met him in person, and happen to know that he is not a drinking man

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Silly thread, everyone knows there is no crime in Santiago and all the women there are hard working, beautiful, perfect wife material.

Curacaoleno

Bronze
Apr 26, 2013
Silly thread, everyone knows there is no crime in Santiago and all the women there are hard working, beautiful, perfect wife material.

I was under the impression that all Dominican women are hard working, beautiful and wife material..

paintedlbird7

Mar 8, 2012
I don't see anything wrong with reviving a old nutty thread. I mean, it's a good topic that can be useful to anyone, but I don't want to know the bad areas anymore, I won't be going there. Thanks.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
All other things being equal... Avoid women from coastal tourist towns, the capital and especially Haina!!!

"Many a true word is spoken in jest"

I was under the impression that all Dominican women are hard working, beautiful and wife material..

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
With all the lastest news, violent crimes, lying ....

You can be safer in Iraq or in the middle of the Syrian conflict for that matter if you use your head and practice safety at all times.

There are no "safe" heavens, only safety minded people.

Crime will always be proportioned to the amount of people and surrounds.
Most crimes in the big cities afflict the criminal circles and low society for the most part.

You could spend a decade living in Santo Domingo without ever being a victim of a crime and be mugged the first day of your move to Santiago. It's a fact of life!

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
You can be safer in Iraq or in the middle of the Syrian conflict for that matter if you use your head and practice safety at all times.

There are no "safe" heavens, only safety minded people.

Crime will always be proportioned to the amount of people and surrounds.
Most crimes in the big cities afflict the criminal circles and low society for the most part.

You could spend a decade living in Santo Domingo without ever being a victim of a crime and be mugged the first day of your move to Santiago. It's a fact of life!

all of which, translated into english, means exactly what? that all major cities are equally dangerous? or equally safe? that no major city is more dangerous than another?

Curacaoleno

Bronze
Apr 26, 2013
all of which, translated into english, means exactly what? that all major cities are equally dangerous? or equally safe? that no major city is more dangerous than another?

Define safety and crime.. Just getting robbed is something different than being killed and robbed.