Is Sosua dying?

moviemouth

Jul 12, 2005
Just my 2 cents, but there are too many small annoyances that make sosua feel unpleasant. For example, the guys who hang in the parking lots blocking spaces and seeking to extort money to "protect your car" while you park there. On my first day in town the guy started to negotiation at US$10!!! These guys are nasty looking and don't mind if they appear intimidating. The same can be said for the incredibly aggressive "time share" hustlers that accost you on the street. Even though we stood our ground and got these folks to leave us alone (although we paid $3.00 to park), my wife was so turned off by the parking lot experience that we did not return to Sosua beach for the rest of our stay.

In New York City the similar problem was graffiti taggers, panhandlers and "squeegee men". One of the things that made Rudy Guiliani such a popular mayor was that he cracked down on these "quality of life" minor offenses until they are now almost non-existent (squeegee men) or at least very much diminished. Sure there were and are much bigger problems and that's just the point. The big problems will take time and patience to resolve, but these minor - but nevertheless very annoying - problems can be fixed right away if a determined effort is made by the authorities in conjunction with the business community.

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org
Malibook said:
I wouldn't say dying but it is not just Sosua that is hurting.
How do all of those shops side by side selling the same stuff stay in business?
It is not just the DR.
I think fuel prices have taken away a lot of trips from several people and cut back on the spending of many others.

Robert is right that many people are very cheap.
I don't make it a point to look but I did not see anybody on my bus to the hotel tip the kid who loaded and unloaded our luggage.
Makes me want to give him more.
I didn't see anyone tip anybody the whole week on the resort either, not that I was there a lot but still.
They say all gratuities included but even very modest tips add up and are greatly helpful and appreciated.

The AI's are hurting. They warned the President and now they are laying people off. If I look in the NY papers on Tuesday, Its cheaper to go to PR rather than Sosua.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
beach parking

moviemouth said:
Just my 2 cents, but there are too many small annoyances that make sosua feel unpleasant. For example, the guys who hang in the parking lots blocking spaces and seeking to extort money to "protect your car" while you park there. On my first day in town the guy started to negotiation at US$10!!! These guys are nasty looking and don't mind if they appear intimidating. The same can be said for the incredibly aggressive "time share" hustlers that accost you on the street. Even though we stood our ground and got these folks to leave us alone (although we paid $3.00 to park), my wife was so turned off by the parking lot experience that we did not return to Sosua beach for the rest of our stay.

In New York City the similar problem was graffiti taggers, panhandlers and "squeegee men". One of the things that made Rudy Guiliani such a popular mayor was that he cracked down on these "quality of life" minor offenses until they are now almost non-existent (squeegee men) or at least very much diminished. Sure there were and are much bigger problems and that's just the point. The big problems will take time and patience to resolve, but these minor - but nevertheless very annoying - problems can be fixed right away if a determined effort is made by the authorities in conjunction with the business community.

Not sure why you had such a problem parking. When we go to the beach in Sosua we either park near La Roca, Voodoo lounge area and walk down to the beach. We also sometimes will park on the main road and walk down the steps at the far side of he beach (don't leave valuables in your car that can be seen). In either case the cost is $0 and the hassle factor is 0.

Bob K

moviemouth

Jul 12, 2005
Bob K said:
Not sure why you had such a problem parking. When we go to the beach in Sosua we either park near La Roca, Voodoo lounge area and walk down to the beach. We also sometimes will park on the main road and walk down the steps at the far side of he beach (don't leave valuables in your car that can be seen). In either case the cost is $0 and the hassle factor is 0.

Bob K

That's where we parked, only there were guys sitting on milk boxes blocking the few remaining spaces and demanding payment. I assure you this really happened. This was my first visit and I only learned later that RD$20 is the going tip rate, so I will never pay more again. Nevertheless, hassling with these guys is not something I'm looking forward to. Glad you haven't had the experience. So what? These guys taking advantage of new arrivals or otherwise uninformed is not going to help increase business for NY Shark Bar and the others.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Seems they are hell bent of screwing Sosua, just like the "tour guides" of POP....

HB :ermm:

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
In my opinion, a lot of hassle would be avoided if people were to educate themselves about local custom before diving into a new culture head-first. If you did so then you'd have fewer problems/unpleasant experiences. The people who 'gaurd' your car have no right to be there trying to ask you for money to park in a public parking space. My standard response is "Vivo aqui hace mucho, si paso algo a mi caro te voy a matar a ti" . This coming from a single white woman is usually accepted with a weary look and a curt nod of the head and they leave me alone. ;)

Stay well,
Amy

P.S. not the sweetest thing I could say, but it works ......

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
Jimmydr said:
The AI's are hurting. They warned the President and now they are laying people off. If I look in the NY papers on Tuesday, Its cheaper to go to PR rather than Sosua.
I know the AI are hurting but what do they expect the president to do?
DR AI packages are still dirt cheap from Toronto.
A devalued peso wouldn't really affect the majority of AI tourists most of whom are extremely cheap.

My buddy Carlos the taxi driver said, "everything is down, down, down.
There is no money.
Nobody has money.
The only places still doing good business are the bars and cabanas.
People still find money to drink and f*ck."

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
I was just thinking about the people who approach your car and show you their open wounds. They even do it when you have children in the car. You would think the police would focus on stopping this kind of activity.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Jimmydr said:
I park for free and tip the guy at the end maybe 100 pesos.

Just out of curiosity, why would you "tip" someone 100 pesos for watching your car when that is what many people in the DR make in salary for a full days "work"? This is why some of these guys are trying to scare others into giving them 10 dollars US. They assume if you can just throw 100 peso notes around that you 1) have an endless supply of money and 2) have no respect for it.

100 pesos is not alot of money to you are me but you have to put things into perspective. I know you have spent a lot of time in the country. You should know this.

Larry

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org
Larry said:
Just out of curiosity, why would you "tip" someone 100 pesos for watching your car when that is what many people in the DR make in salary for a full days "work"? This is why some of these guys are trying to scare others into giving them 10 dollars US. They assume if you can just throw 100 peso notes around that you 1) have an endless supply of money and 2) have no respect for it.

100 pesos is not alot of money to you are me but you have to put things into perspective. I know you have spent a lot of time in the country. You should know this.

Larry

I shall correct myself, the people I am with tip them, not me. I would just as easily find a Politur to deal with theses pests.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Robert said:
Welcome to the world of the cheap AI tourist. They are cheap, very cheap! Don't blame them, blame the people that bring them here and the lack of focus and direction by consecutive governments and tourism organizations here.
Important to differentiate between the "cheap AI tourist" and the tourist that goes to a cheap AI. We get the tourists that are attracted by the prices. Cheap attracts cheap. I dare say that the tourists that frequent AIs such as a Sandals or a Cibonay are not cheap.

Last edited:

duhtree

Jun 2, 2003
I agree that those that stay at A1's may be cheap but the trips sure aren't, as I see it.
From Miami, round trip, airfare+bad food+cheap booze and, at best, mediocre rooms with the same people you left at home still costs a bundle. Read the ads. Punta Cana, 5 days/4 nites, based on double occupancy = $595 + taxes. And many are quad occupancy!! You do the math. No wonder they are cheap. There is nothing left. And that's from Miami!
just a thought.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
duhtree said:
I agree that those that stay at A1's may be cheap but the trips sure aren't, as I see it.
From Miami, round trip, airfare+bad food+cheap booze and, at best, mediocre rooms with the same people you left at home still costs a bundle. Read the ads. Punta Cana, 5 days/4 nites, based on double occupancy = $595 + taxes. And many are quad occupancy!! You do the math. No wonder they are cheap. There is nothing left. And that's from Miami!
just a thought.
If $595 is a "bundle" to you, you'd have a stroke if you ever went to an upscale AI. Thanks to the free market system and Law of Supply and Demand, you usually get what you pay for.

duhtree

Jun 2, 2003
That is a comperative priceThat's per person 4 to a room = $2385.00 for a stay that could be gotten for +- $ 1400.00 including a 3 bedroom villa for a week and a car to travel around the country.
And the point is that they don't get what they pay for.
I have stayed at upscale A1's when ever I travel to a new country for the first time so I doubt that I'll have a stroke. I just see the cost vs return to be very negative for those travelers. IMHO. John

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
duhtree said:
That is a comperative priceThat's per person 4 to a room = $2385.00 for a stay that could be gotten for +- $ 1400.00 including a 3 bedroom villa for a week and a car to travel around the country.
And the point is that they don't get what they pay for.
I have stayed at upscale A1's when ever I travel to a new country for the first time so I doubt that I'll have a stroke. I just see the cost vs return to be very negative for those travelers. IMHO. John
Get your story straight, you quoted :
From Miami, round trip airfare+bad food+cheap booze and, at best, mediocre rooms with the same people you left at home still costs a bundle. Read the ads. Punta Cana, 5 days/4 nites, based on double occupancy = $595 + taxes
For $1400 tell me how you are going to get 4 airfares, a 3 bedroom villa, meals and drinks, let alone a car. Let's be real.

duhtree

Jun 2, 2003
Very slooowly now. Airfare from mia round trip = $ 350.00 p/p. Villa = $400.00 per week. Car renta = $250.00 per week.
This is not a ****ing contest with you, so chill. I didn't invent the numbers. The ads in the papers do that.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
duhtree said:
Very slooowly now. Airfare from mia round trip = $ 350.00 p/p. Villa = $400.00 per week. Car renta = $250.00 per week.
This is not a ****ing contest with you, so chill. I didn't invent the numbers. The ads in the papers do that.
I was just wondering if you were trying to make some sort of point with the numbers? The $2050 (that was $1400) still doesn't include food,drink, entertainment or am I missing something.

Jun 28, 2004
google translation

amy2761 said:
In my opinion, a lot of hassle would be avoided if people were to educate themselves about local custom before diving into a new culture head-first. If you did so then you'd have fewer problems/unpleasant experiences. The people who 'gaurd' your car have no right to be there trying to ask you for money to park in a public parking space. My standard response is "Vivo aqui hace mucho, si paso algo a mi caro te voy a matar a ti" . This coming from a single white woman is usually accepted with a weary look and a curt nod of the head and they leave me alone. ;)

Stay well,
Amy

P.S. not the sweetest thing I could say, but it works ......

Alive aqui long ago, if step something to my expensive one I am going to you to kill you