Is the deadly drink known as Clerén the same as moonshine?

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
[thread drift]

In college, we had a frat party beverage favorite affectionately called "Cripple." It was a mix of Ripple (remember that?) and grain alcohol.

For presentation we built a full toilet on a wheeled platform with the outlet blocked and would pour a case of Ripple into the tank followed by "fifth" of grain alcohol (no ml & l back then.) The party "Queen" would ceremoniously kick off the festivities with a push of the handle and the Cripple would whoosh into the toilet bowl. We'd add some whole plums to the bowl for effect. You'd scoop the Cripple from the bowl with a plastic cup. Repeat when empty.

Fun times. I'm surprised we survived with just minimal dain bramage. Now you know what happened.

[/thread drift]

Ripple, Mad Dog 20/20, Boone's Farm Apple. I'm embarrassed to admit I know those names.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Dominican and Haitian authorities are searching for the Haitian guy that sold the contaminated Cleren. Lets see how long will this islandwide search last before they either capture the guy, capture the wrong guy and destroy his life, or give up.

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
don’t forget TJ Swann!  strawberry was my favorite

could never drink it without puking

ah, those were the days . . .

watapuzzy.
You ain't a real man unless you've downed an entire fifth of MD 20/20 followed by a bucket of Church's fried chicken.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Clerén is actually prohibited in the RD, just as Haitian cigarettes are. That does not mean that they can not be found, you just have to know where to look. Clerén is usually bottled in recycled soda pop bottles. I've had a taste, and in my opinion, you can strip automobile paint with the substance.

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
Clerén is actually prohibited in the RD, just as Haitian cigarettes are. That does not mean that they can not be found, you just have to know where to look. Clerén is usually bottled in recycled soda pop bottles. I've had a taste, and in my opinion, you can strip automobile paint with the substance.

The wide assortment of repurposed bottles is almost a trademark.... maybe all the different sizes is an attempt to align with the spare change in your pocket.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
watapuzzy.
You ain't a real man unless you've downed an entire fifth of MD 20/20 followed by a bucket of Church's fried chicken.

Followed up with a pint of Thunderbird................... too funny, but I surely remember them good ol' days

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
we didn’t even have Church’s 38 years ago!

OMG, I’m old . . .

in fact, I don’t ever remember eating anything when we indulged in these wines

that may have been the problem!

I guess depended on where you lived. We didn't do Church's but White Castle was the thing............

Back on topic............ Several months ago I was sitting in that little park just east of Napolitano Hotel on the malecon. The park is frequented by the less than fortunate peeps. One fellow starting chatting with me and after awhile he left and returned with a half pint bottle of something. From what I gathered it was some homemade "moonshine?". He later walked with me down the street to show me what house (shack) he bought it from. I think he paid like 50 pesos for the bottle. Lucky me I wasn't stupid enough to take a swig.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
[thread drift]

In college, we had a frat party beverage favorite affectionately called "Cripple." It was a mix of Ripple (remember that?) and grain alcohol.

For presentation we built a full toilet on a wheeled platform with the outlet blocked and would pour a case of Ripple into the tank followed by "fifth" of grain alcohol (no ml & l back then.) The party "Queen" would ceremoniously kick off the festivities with a push of the handle and the Cripple would whoosh into the toilet bowl. We'd add some whole plums to the bowl for effect. You'd scoop the Cripple from the bowl with a plastic cup. Repeat when empty.

Fun times. I'm surprised we survived with just minimal dain bramage. Now you know what happened.

[/thread drift]

....PAGAN PINK?......

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
we didn’t even have Church’s 38 years ago!

OMG, I’m old . . .

in fact, I don’t ever remember eating anything when we indulged in these wines

that may have been the problem!

We usually paired those fine wines with some fine..uhhh...tobacco. And than food.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013

I dont think haitian cigarettes are prohibited in the RD. I actually switched to point haitian brand, they are like 1/6th of the price of my normal brand..
There is however a limit to how much you can "import" ( typically I get mine in dajabon )

May 5, 2007
watapuzzy.

How about five (5) bottles of Boones Farm Can't even stand the sight of the bottle to this day, what a freaking hang me over And I had to ride a Ferry 45 minutes back to mainland, ugh!

May 5, 2007
....PAGAN PINK?......

Man, I would want to see that turlet cleaned to my specs :ermm:

My worst experience with "pure" (Actually sugar) alcohol (Actually impossible to get 100% alcohol outside of a laboratory , as soon as you crack the seal water is absorbed into the hydrophilic alcohol) was at Montego Bay Jamaica

We were sitting around Doctor's Cave Beach Resort drinking Red Stripe one by one (No way could we convince bartender to sell pictures, we even poured glasses one by one into a pitcher so he could count, it was the speed or lack thereof of the waiters that was driving us nuts) slowly getting a buzz

Around 22:00 a mass of Chiefs "invaded" the place, they had booked every single room and apartment (Wondered why we couldn’t get a room in middle of summer) USS Mississippi, a fairly large Cruiser (About 600 sailors) large had arrived unbeknownst to us and every single Chief in good standing had leave (Along with 300 or so sailors added to our 2500) They politely asked if they could join our tables as we (Officers from our carrier) had taken up most of the indoor-outdoor tables at the piano bar if any recall the place, what the hell...we knew we could bunk with them and the food and parties would go all night, screw rank protocol in a foreign leave port

After another few hours, and several bottles smuggled in by the devious Chiefs, a "table boy" came by and asked if we wanted a bottle of "real rum" well we figured it would be from Appleton or one of the other fine breweries on the Island, but what does he bring back: This completely clear bottle of evil liquid

Apparently there is one distillery in all of Jamaica that makes the alcohol to distribute to the breweries, and us. We gently started sipping the stuff and passing it around, taking great amusement in everyone choking and gasping except this one old grizzled Senior Chief who would take about a 2oz chug, burp and say "ahh"

A waiter came by when I was gently sipping from the bottle and said "That gonna make your head go away" well sometime during the evening we had ordered champagne in silver coolers to impress the ladies, impress I did I woke when the sun came up with my face in a champagne bucket feeling like I had ridden the Cat without our airplane

Found out later it was 180-190 proof

GO NAVY! BEAT VIRGINIA!

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
How about five (5) bottles of Boones Farm Can't even stand the sight of the bottle to this day, what a freaking hang me over And I had to ride a Ferry 45 minutes back to mainland, ugh!

I can't believe no one has mentioned my all time favorites... Night Train and Thunderbird. I actually sold Night Train in my bar at one time...

tmg-slideshow_l.jpg