Is The Dominican Republic headed for a dictatorship?

Status
Not open for further replies.

George101

Jul 9, 2017
A lot of the communist influence seems to be coming from foreign business owners coming out of Norway and that general area. Lovely country but I'm not sure why those people are trying to come to a free country and spread their communist ways. The Communist Party of Norway and the communist minded people of that country come to the Dominican republic to push communist ways. This has been going on here for awhile. Most of the Jewish population in Sosua wants those Norway people to pack up and leave but that will never happen.

Last edited:

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
A lot of the communist influence seems to be coming from foreign business owners coming out of Norway and that general area. Lovely country but I'm not sure why those people are trying to come to a free country and spread their communist ways. The Communist Party of Norway and the communist minded people of that country come to the Dominican republic to push communist ways. This has been going on here for awhile. Most of the Jewish population in Sosua wants those Norway people to pack up and leave but that will never happen.

communist infiltration by Norwegians? Norwegian business people as communist sleeper cells? what next?

maybe i should go back to sleep.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
….well if the people here want about $25 a month ,like Cuba...with no rights whatever, so be it. welcome to the land of the workers heaven on earth and eternal bliss......Doc....

Son of a sailor

Sep 30, 2019

Well that's a very (very!) loose definition of communism... the kind with CEO's...and billionaires.....it's okay, I love to read hyperbole in the mornings...

etolw

Banned
Oct 6, 2018

Ahh, now all the bricks fall in place. The Communist Party of Norway have come to Sosua to lead the Dominican Republic into dictatorship. Well spotted & God help us all. Thankfully to this thread we are now all warned.

Viva le resistance!

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
A dictatorship? No.
Financial ruin due to the fact these criminal
politicians running this country into the ground? Yes.
For crying out loud, they want to pass a RD$997 billion
budget for next year. This would be the highest in the
nation’s history and I think it safe to say, billions of it
will be stolen and unaccounted for.

No question at least 25% will disappear through contracts, or services never rendered. More drug money will be laundered and added to the fat cat pockets.
Is that any different that the US - No. Corruption is very deep in the career politicians.
And there is breaking news of billions of money stolen in Ukraine.
So as an American I can not point to the DR and say this is abnormal behavior, the only difference is the DR politicians are more mafia-like vs polished lawyers up North.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
Then they will be 20 to 30 times more likely to rob you.

I was about to reply that if now there are people here that are willing to kill you (literally) for 500 pesos, for how much are they willing to kill you afterwards?

I would never ever let anyone to my home who accepts 50 pesos an hour salary, but I guess I'm just being silly and paranoid...

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
You may pay them $100/hour, ma fren. You have ma permission.

There is an existing concept of "fair market value", that is usually different in each geographic region / culture / country. The rates proposed on this site (for example) for whatever work usually pretty much give one a good hint of that concept...

etolw

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
You can pay $1/hour to your housekeepers, cooks, gardeners, cleaning staff, taxista. And they are happy and thankful. "No good in it at all"?

let me see if i get this right...paying slave wages is a good thing?

You do not know what you are talking about.
There is nothing in the World worse than having a Chinese boss/master/owner.

irsav, I assume you are not Chinese, and there is a slight chance that not all see you as the best boss either.

Now, what has all this bickering to do with the OP, DR moving to dictatorship?

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
Hard to believe with Cuba and Venezuela as examples, a dictatorship would be tolerated. I just can't fathom how that happens.
That’s what people said about Cuba and Venezuela, moments before their dictatorships were firmly ensconced. A little at a time isn’t noticed. Then the balance flips.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete

I've been busted! Most people think that my accent in English, but actually it's well-disguised Norwegian. They also think my small business here is for me to try to cover my living costs, but actually I'm using it to spread my communist ways. It may be difficult to see how I'm doing that, but it's definitely happening. If communism fails to take off here, I'm thinking of starting a dictatorship.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014

My cover's been blown :cheeky:

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
I've been busted! Most people think that my accent in English, but actually it's well-disguised Norwegian. They also think my small business here is for me to try to cover my living costs, but actually I'm using it to spread my communist ways. It may be difficult to see how I'm doing that, but it's definitely happening. If communism fails to take off here, I'm thinking of starting a dictatorship.

I'd vote for you.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016

.. I am very sure the current President of the DR..would love the job....

Status
Not open for further replies.