Is The Dominican Republic headed for a dictatorship?

Status
Not open for further replies.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
My opinion on wages: Find out the going rate and pay it. It's by far the fairest way as far as I'm concerned.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
One should be careful when assuming what others think about what we do. I would be surprised if "they" conclude that you are being altruistic.

Nothing wrong with what you are paying, just pointing out that your true motivation for doing so might not be understood.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
It means that no matter how much you pay them and how much you love them - you may easily become the next "Cabarete Teacher" or " Lindsey". If you forget who is who in this country.

I was about to reply to your previous comment on this thread, glad I saw this one. So yes, the key here being "who is who", all that matters is the people you socialize with, the people that know you, the way other people perceive you. I'm European, but none of our neighbours are interested in what we have, as all of them have way more than we do, even though they are not all even expats... I feel very safe here...

I agree with you on the statement that if you're with the wrong people (and it can be difficult to determine at times), no matter how much $$ is involved or how much you "love" them, it does not make any difference...

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
As long as local people is happy and satisfied with it - it is acceptable. At least when I lived in Greenville, Liberia, locals were very happy been paid $5/day.
And Dominican people are free to go on strike and demand whatever. $5 or $20 or $100/ hour. It is OK. In just 90 short minutes Spirit will bring me back to the beautiful South Florida.

I can give you a ride to the airport..

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
As long as local people is happy and satisfied with it - it is acceptable. At least when I lived in Greenville, Liberia, locals were very happy been paid $5/day.
And Dominican people are free to go on strike and demand whatever. $5 or $20 or $100/ hour. It is OK. In just 90 short minutes Spirit will bring me back to the beautiful South Florida.

From Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberia

GDP (PPP): $1,413

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominican_Republic

GDP (PPP): $19,291

The above tells me that you cannot really compare these two countries. The poverly levels in African countries are much worse than here, IMO.

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
Frankly even at 300 pesos a day you are paying too much for much of the domestic help that is available. On a global scale you cant get worse value for an employee than a lazy Dominican.

This gets us back to the need for a strong hand. Pinochet took care of business in Chile, many of my mom and dads friends speak of him in high esteem.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
Frankly even at 300 pesos a day you are paying too much for much of the domestic help that is available. On a global scale you cant get worse value for an employee than a lazy Dominican.

This gets us back to the need for a strong hand. Pinochet took care of business in Chile, many of my mom and dads friends speak of him in high esteem.

I have run a hotel successfully for a number of years and my cleaners get about RD$ 1,000 a day excluding cash tips. This is about the going rate in Santo Domingo, at least for proper cleaners who don't steal and work hard. I dread to think what you would get if you paid RD$ 50 an hour or RD$ 300 a day but you would be asking for trouble - poor standards, and like people have said, a constant threat to have things stolen, or constant complaining about money. I'm pretty certain that the minimum liveable wage in Santo Domingo is about RD$ 25,000 when you take into account rent, food, transport. Pay any less than this and it won't end well, particularly if you're a foreigner.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
Both American teacher in Cabarete and Lindsey were VERY generous and loving to locals. Both were brutally murdered nevertheless.

A lot of people reading DR1 are very very very upset about Lindsay. Please don't throw her murder into your discussion to score points on this forum, it's incredibly insensitive. Out of respect for her it would also be nice if you could spell her name correctly.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
A lot of people reading DR1 are very very very upset about Lindsay. Please don't throw her murder into your discussion to score points on this forum, it's incredibly insensitive. Out of respect for her it would also be nice if you could spell her name correctly.

thank you very much.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Both American teacher in Cabarete and Lindsey were VERY generous and loving to locals. Both were brutally murdered nevertheless.

Neither of them were murdered due to their wanting to
help others by being generous. You're not the only one
on this forum who's lived in a few different countries or
speaks a few different languages. Some people live here
because we actually enjoy it. I'm beginning to wonder whether
or not you've actually stepped foot on this island or if you're
just trolling us from mommy's basement???

Murder is an ugly thing and effects people in different ways...
Its not cool to lean on the dead while trying to make your point.
Ya call ya self educated? Smartin up.

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
On the other hand it is good for expats. Plenty of cheap labor. Desperate for ANY income at all.

I'm willing to pay good money for good labor ... just here all the labor is terrible once they tell you my work is 100 % guaranteed tell them no thanks.... no pride in their work........ example would be a plumber asking me for my cigar lighter to solder a pipe .. i told him get the F out ...

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
My best plumber story is the guy who came to unclog a pipe but had no snake. When I asked why he didn't have what can only be considered standard equipment, he explained it rusted away.

He suggested we dig up the pipe when I asked how he planned to remove the blockage. I sent him on his way. Bought a snake and did it myself.

nepenthe9

Dec 22, 2019

I have found that many Americans and Canadians take their racist, right wing, mussolini loving ways with them when they expatriate. Why is it that so many Spanish speaking countries, e.g. Honduras, Panama, Costa Rica, and apparently the D.R. seem to harbor an overabundance of assholes from North America?

Well, this part of my research is done: I have found that among those who appreciate simpler ways of life, are those who wish they could oppress brown people like in the old days in the USA.

I got my first passport as a means to get away from the latter. Sad to know they are everywhere, spreading their biggotry.

Last edited:

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I have found that many white Americans and Canadians take their racist, right wing, mussolini loving ways with them when they expatriate. Why is it that so many Spanish speaking countries, e.g. Honduras, Panama, Costa Rica, and apparently the D.R. seem to harbor an overabundance of assholes from North America?

Well, this part of my research is done: I have found that among those who appreciate simpler ways of life, are those who wish they could oppress brown people like in the old days in the USA.

I got my first passport as a means to get away from the latter. Sad to know they are everywhere, spreading their biggotry.

Perhaps you should add some brain food in with your fruit and nuts. You must have an indoctrination degree from a liberal arts school. Your above statement shows you to be another indoctrinated progressive that is quite clueless about the " majority " of white Americans and Canadians that are expats. Racist people do not move to Brown or black population dominated countries. Give you head a shake, rfp is a non-white Dominican living in the USA. Certainly his opinions are extreme, but then yours seem to be as well.

nepenthe9

Dec 22, 2019
Perhaps you should add some brain food in with your fruit and nuts. You must have an indoctrination degree from a liberal arts school. Your above statement shows you to be another indoctrinated progressive that is quite clueless about the " majority " of white Americans and Canadians that are expats. Racist people do not move to Brown or black population dominated countries. Give you head a shake, rfp is a non-white Dominican living in the USA. Certainly his opinions are extreme, but then yours seem to be as well.

Just to be clear, I have met (black) Hatians in the U.S. who hate and fear black Americans.
They clearly take there ignorance with them... to the U.S. I cannot explain why. I wonder.

I am referencing my experiences and asking questions, whether it bothers you is a different matter. I will ask more questions until such time my questions are deemed intolerable by whomever moderates here.

So... answer the question or go entertain yourself another way, please.

See...I did not even call you a dick.

As to the point, I have found that there are many a North American expat (they tend to be white, as they are most likely financially able to travel internationally, and hold passports) I have encountered in places such as Panama, Costa Rica, etc. complain about the local people and are not averse to abusing them when convenient. I did not say all.

As for my education, my first graduate degree is with a major in statistics.
So much for generalization.

Asshole.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.