Is the Whale watching worth the trip?

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
I wanted to take the kids whale watching in Samana at the end of January but I'm concerned about the length of the trip and if there are other things to do also in addition to the whale watching.
One thing that concerns me regarding the whale watching tour is that it says that it is 3-4 hours....this cannot possibly mean that we will sit there and look at whales for 3-4 hours right? There has to be something else that they are doing because my kids would not go for that. Maybe 45 minutes, an hour tops, but 3-4 hours? Looking at whales?
Has anyone ever taken one of these tours?

Second, where can we stay that is like an AI resort that is clean and decent? Preferably on the beach.

Third, driving from Santiago, approximately how long is the drive? Is the drive considered through fairly safe areas?

Thanks for any insight.

SHALENA

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
There are people with small boats that will take your family out. You can tell them what you want to do. As long as you are paying you can have it your way.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
There are people with small boats that will take your family out. You can tell them what you want to do. As long as you are paying you can have it your way.

I'm scared of small boats, LOL

SHALENA

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
I figured that the boats were big that gave the tours, I'm guessing not?

SHALENA

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I figured that the boats were big that gave the tours, I'm guessing not?

SHALENA

There are literally dozens of them out there every day. I would get one from Las Galeras if I were going out.

sixsticks

Feb 28, 2011
Google Kim Bedall. Took the grand girls..they loved it. Professional & great boat. I would never take kids out on one of those small boats. Can't help with where to stay. Had tried previously with tour samana with terry & it was a total failure.

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
I wanted to take the kids whale watching in Samana at the end of January but I'm concerned about the length of the trip and if there are other things to do also in addition to the whale watching.
One thing that concerns me regarding the whale watching tour is that it says that it is 3-4 hours....this cannot possibly mean that we will sit there and look at whales for 3-4 hours right? There has to be something else that they are doing because my kids would not go for that. Maybe 45 minutes, an hour tops, but 3-4 hours? Looking at whales?

Second, where can we stay that is like an AI resort that is clean and decent? Preferably on the beach.

Third, driving from Santiago, approximately how long is the drive? Is the drive considered through fairly safe areas?

Thanks for any insight.

SHALENA
Honestly, judging by the number of questions and the type of questions, I don't know if you are suited for a trip to the DR.

Eleutheria

Jun 23, 2015
Honestly, judging by the number of questions and the type of questions, I don't know if you are suited for a trip to the DR.

Whaaaaa????? Hasn't OP lived here on and off for years? She wants to stay somewhere nice and her kids, like all kids, have shorter attention spans. How is this connected to "not being suited"???? Guessing the OP has been through just about everything this fine country has to offer and wants to have a nice vaycay.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

the OP has a house in Santiago. her kids live here, and she works in the USA and Santiago.

just sayin.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

Thanks for any insight.

SHALENA

I took the tour with Kim Bedall. I found it about an hour too long. It is a well run tour but you don't get real close to the whales. There are many small wooden sloops that can get closer to the whales but if I wouldn't recommend these. Many times Samana Bay is a little rough and if you experience sea sickness you do not want to be in a small boat. The tour with Kim does stop at Cayo Levantado for an hour. I don't know how old your kids are but I would rather take them to the zip lining tour which is outside of Samana City on the way to Playa Valle. I would recommend staying in Las Terrenas and rent a car or you can book a tour and many provide transportation. If you want an all inclusive there is one close to Lt in El Portillo, Grand Bahia Principe or stay at Hotel Aliesi or Hotel Colibri which are on Playa Ballenas. Good luck.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The big AI is Grand Bahia Principe.... less than an hour to the town of Samana

STI to LT ?
Just under 3 hrs is my guess.... 2hr to Nagua and another to LT.... a guess.
Yes, quite safe in daytime....IMO

I have heard some of those small boats get too close....
Whales are mammals, female mammals protect their young......
you can capsize.... I have heard of problems.

You should be able to find a quick excursion - out and back, to see the whales.

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
the OP has a house in Santiago. her kids live here, and she works in the USA and Santiago.

just sayin.

My apologies. The reply was a little harsh. I made the comment after a long frustrating trip across the country where nothing happened according to plan, nor in the time allotted. However I was wrong to pick on the OP.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller

Thanks for any insight.

SHALENA

Having been out 3 times whale watching from Samana.......my answer is a resounding yes. But what you see depends on pure luck. On all three occasions we saw whales but the first visit was the most memorable with whales leaping out of the water just lie those classic shots you see posted by photographers. The other times you saw whales rolling around nearby.

Your trip time depends on the boat or perhaps package you choose. On my three trips I drove to Samana from LT and parked my car on the Malecon and you get approached immediately by touts offering you this or that trip. I started my trips late...mid morning.....but it was easy to negotiate a boat trip. You pay the park fee separately from the boat trip at the pier.

My first trip was in a slow boat and that took for ever to get to the far end of the peninsula in the middle of the bay, but we hung around for maybe half hour and saw plenty before returning to Cayo Levantado for a stop over on the public beach and I strongly recommend against this unless you like the company of tourists. Too long in a slow boat.
The second trip was a tour boat with about twenty seats and once full they set off and it takes perhaps half an hour to where there should be whales. The boats are all in contact and if whales are spotted all the boats head in that location. Getting close to the whales is well organized between boats and each boat is allowed close one at a time whilst the others circle. The whales pop up all around you, so you may be looking ahead and they appear behind. again you get about 20 minutes watching and then they go back to the Cayo but we declined and went back to port and off to Playa La Valle for lunch and afternoon chill on Samana's secret best beach.
The third trip was in a private hire boat which was the size of a Boston Whaler and offered best value imo since the aim was to go see whales and get back. Hope this all helps.

As for hotels you can check out portals and decide. The AI in Samana which overlooks the town is expensive I believe.....Bahia Principe Samana.......the one on the Cayo is adults only.

There is a thread on the drive from STI to Las Terrenas. Basically you drive on Duarte to Santo Domingo and about 10km after La Vega you turn to at El Pino to SFM and then pick up route 132 to Castillo and to Nagua and there take route 5 to Samana. You can shorten the journey by turning off 132 in El Abanico to Villa Riva and turn there to Arenoso and onto the Samana highway. To Samana allow 4.5 hours. Typical Cibao roads and DR driving!

As always I will encourage anyone visiting Samana to find time for a daytrip to Parque Los Haitises.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
You mean not a shrinking violet.....

The spring chicken thing infers an age that she may not appreciate !!..... stay low !

shrinking violet she is not. spring chicken, yes. i guess reillyp might have managed to stave off the wrath of Shalena with his well timed apology.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
You mean not a shrinking violet.....

The spring chicken thing infers an age that she may not appreciate !!..... stay low !

hahahahahahahahaha

Thanks. I have met Shalena. Post changed as per your recommendations WW. hahahahahahaha

Shalena is one fine lady. Not old at all.

I really meant she knows what time it is being from NY.

Last edited:

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
hahahahahahahahaha

Thanks. I have met Shalena. Post changed as per your recommendations WW. hahahahahahaha

BB, quit while you are behind. saying she is no spring chicken, then saying you have met her, is ominous. take cover.