Is the word gringo offensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Marianopolita

Possibly because I am not american ? I tend to confuse the hell out of Dominican, I get asked where I am from all the times :tired:

I also get both Morenita or negra (really depends on the context).

Pues claro te van a preguntar y si contestas en español.....ya sabes.

-MP.

M

mofongoloco

La verdad es que no sé por qué lo dicen.

To me it is almost in jest meaning una manera jocosa but with no offense or they know you are not a local but also not the typical gringa they see in the DR. In all these contexts, they have no intent to offend which I know you know that.

The non-Spanish speaking foreigner with no sense of cultural nuances may be offended though and I have seen that. Same thing with mi negrito and mi negrita. English speakers don’t understand the meaning.

-MP.

S true. I tend to avoid negrito/negrita because I don't get the subtlety involved. Years ago I had a brasilian acquaintance. His name was Negao. Big black man. Until he died none of his friends knew his actual name. I jsy avoided the whole situation. whitey and darkie as a term of endearment is so not the norm for me I can't even use it in Spanish or Portuguese.

M

mofongoloco

Thanks to all for your responses. I've gotten myself into a spot of trouble for self identifying as a gringo. Most of the references talk about how it "could be" offensive. the higher ups are clinging to that. all monolinguals.

D

Derfish

Thanks to all for your responses. I've gotten myself into a spot of trouble for self identifying as a gringo. Most of the references talk about how it "could be" offensive. the higher ups are clinging to that. all monolinguals.

Taking offense is a personal choice. I knew one woan who felt the word titties was very offfensive, so I never used it around her.
Derfish

D

Derfish

Regarding gringo in my experience it depends on the context and yes, some people may use it with the intent to offend. While theories vary about the origin, in very broad terms it does refer to a specific group of foreigners (specifically when referring to foreigners in Latin America or from a cultural perspective meaning someone that is not from Latin or Spanish culture). Not all foreigners are referred to as gringo.

https://definicion.de/gringo/

Regarding latino being used in English, I have never considered researching when it became used in the language but it is definitely a borrowed word that is used commonly. I am just one person but I use it in English. If someone asks me about a person’s background I say the person is Latino or Latin. Usage could be more regional for this word as well.

-MP.

We lived in Mississippi after Katrina rebuilding houses. My wife was Colombian and she used the term norteamericano tu describe me. One day a mexican guy said to her, "Pero todo de nosotros somos norteamericanos." And she said "De pronto tu, pero soy colombiana."

M

Marianopolita

S true. I tend to avoid negrito/negrita because I don't get the subtlety involved. Years ago I had a brasilian acquaintance. His name was Negao. Big black man. Until he died none of his friends knew his actual name. I jsy avoided the whole situation. whitey and darkie as a term of endearment is so not the norm for me I can't even use it in Spanish or Portuguese.

Smart choice and since you know you are not comfortable with the usage (meaning it is foreign to you linguistically) you decided to stay within your language boundaries.

Good for you.

-MP.

M

Marianopolita

We lived in Mississippi after Katrina rebuilding houses. My wife was Colombian and she used the term norteamericano tu describe me. One day a mexican guy said to her, "Pero todo de nosotros somos norteamericanos." And she said "De pronto tu, pero soy colombiana."

Too funny. This is an example of cultural nuance. What your former wife said was correct from her standpoint- norteamericano.

I love her response though in classic Colombian speech- De pronto tú- it does not get anymore Colombian than that.

Que viva Colombia 🇨🇴.

-MP.

M

Marianopolita

Folks, let’s not stray from the topic at hand. The thread is divine so far.

Thanks,

-MP.

D

Derfish

As far as being offensive, one can be offended by anything. My brother was offended by being referred to as tall. He was 3 inches taller than the rest of us, but he was offended if anyone referreed to him as such. My mother referred to it as being thin skinned. If you wanna feel offeided go ahead!
Derfish

M

Marianopolita

As far as being offensive, one can be offended by anything. My brother was offended by being referred to as tall. He was 3 inches taller than the rest of us, but he was offended if anyone referreed to him as such. My mother referred to it as being thin skinned. If you wanna feel offeided go ahead!
Derfish

Derfish you need to keep this Spanish related as per the OP since this is the Spanish forum. This is not a thread to discuss all types of scenarios where people may be offended.

Please refer to my post #31.

Gracias,

-MP.

B

bienamor

I view being called gringo in the same vane as other's being called flaco rubio gordo negro etc. in other words just a form of greeting or acknowledgement. for it to be viewed as offensive would need something added. like F***ing Gringo.

C

cobraboy

I view being called gringo in the same vane as other's being called flaco rubio gordo negro etc. in other words just a form of greeting or acknowledgement. for it to be viewed as offensive would need something added. like F***ing Gringo.
Agreed. Dominicans use words ad descriptors, not insults. Now the "F#%@%&* Gringo" might make my "WTF sensors" go off...

Status
Not open for further replies.