Is there a carnival in Puerto Plata this Sunday 2nd Feb ? Any good

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
Is there a carnival in Puerto Plata this Sunday 2nd Feb ? Any good.

About what time does it get going....

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Carnival in Puerto Plata is on Saturdays. It starts in the Central Park with the children's parade. The main parade is in the afternoon on the Malecon.

Reading here there will be carnival on Sunday, also on the Malecon. Will have to check if both events will happen -- the Saturday and Sunday events.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Carnaval-Puerto-plata-fans-page/469330996448752

As I am reading, the carnival parading is set for 2, 9, 16, 23 and 27 February.
Would say the Saturday event will not be held.

Last edited:

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
Yes, I think there was something for children last week.

If I understand correctly from the text it says they get going on the Malecon on Sunday around 3pm....

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Uzin,
There is an advert on Que Paso on Sosua News that gives the Carnival Dates in Puerto Plata :

Sos?a-News

Go to the right hand side of the page and click on the link.

Olly and the Team

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
With so much effort put into the costumes and such high spirits and good humor, the Carnaval could be a great tourist attraction and moneymaker. But as usual the Dominican inability to organize anything rules that out. No information in any language (let alone English, German or Russian), no timetable, no toilets, no waste bins, no organized parking or bus service, etc, etc.

Two separate years recently on the Malecon I have befriended groups of tourists from Playa Dorada who were looking forward to seeing a parade or something, anything actually happening. On both occasions they slunk back to their hotels after hanging about for a couple of hours and being fed BS misinformation from police and participants.

Maybe they don't want gringos at their Carnaval. Fair enough. But don't then whinge about lack of investment or jobs. Same applies to most other public events.

Ambra

Feb 2, 2014
Carnaval Everything Sunday of February

In Puerto Plata carnival's celebracions take place every Sunday in the malec?n area, nearby the firefighters building. Also, there is a kids carnival in the Central Park (plaza independencia), perfect for family with small kids.
Now, there is a also a Carnival Tour starting from the hotels, you can get more info contacting your tour representative if you're here on holiday or feel free to contact the hotel association via email ahpp@claro.net.do

Ambra

Feb 2, 2014
Puerto Plata Carnaval is really nice and finally this year they have more funds, so will be more organized and have toilets around for example. Every Sunday of February at around 3pm the action starts, by the BOMBEROS in the malec?n.. There are also 'tarimas' from where one can see the carnival, comfortable and with drinks if I am not wrong. Of course there is a charge for entrance, not sure how much. Of course PUerto Plata people want foreigners to enjoy the Carnaval!!!! There has been a lot of talking in the local press and tv about the Carnaval celebration, maybe just not in the medias that foreigners read. I will try to give this advice to the organization of the carnival. Anyway, which one of you would be interested to help them with this? I mean, they would use some help. There are many volunteers from the community involved with the event, maybe some of you could get involved. If you want I could help you contact the person in charge of the Carnaval.