Is there a poor Expat community in the D-R ?

mezclado

Nov 1, 2008
Is there a residential complex or neighbourhood anywhere in the D-R where everyone is Expat yet under middle class ?

Where you can buy a studio or one bedroom condo or house for under $20,000 U.S. ??

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
Is there a residential complex or neighbourhood anywhere in the D-R where everyone is Expat yet under middle class ?

Where you can buy a studio or one bedroom condo or house for under $20,000 U.S. ??

Negative. Sorry. You are four years late.

Now you need to wait one year. One year and a half maybe.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
You can buy a 2 storey house in a barrio for US$20,000. It won't be in an expat community, no, but I gather from previous posts that an expat community isn't a high priority for you?

mart1n

Jul 13, 2006
Depending where you want to live in the DR I live in the countryside a friend just built a two bedroom house last year, beside mine it cost $21,000 complete we are both expats. Live in the countryside and start your own community.

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
Depending where you want to live in the DR I live in the countryside a friend just built a two bedroom house last year, beside mine it cost $21,000 complete we are both expats. Live in the countryside and start your own community.

That is called "true Dominican cost and price". Congrats!

M`self and some of my friends are interested to know some more details. How far is driving to a nearest beach? What is the nearest big human settlement? How many hours a day on average you have luz? What is condition of roads? Are they accessible for cars? Or for 4x4 only? Where do you buy food (produce)?

You are on the right track, congrats!

mart1n

Jul 13, 2006
That is called "true Dominican cost and price". Congrats!

M`self and some of my friends are interested to know some more details. How far is driving to a nearest beach? What is the nearest big human settlement? How many hours a day on average you have luz? What is condition of roads? Are they accessible for cars? Or for 4x4 only? Where do you buy food (produce)?

You are on the right track, congrats!

AK 74
The nearest beach is a 15 min drive
Luperon is the nearest settlement about 8 miles
We have 12 hours of electricity but have invertors so we have power 24 hours a day
The roads are not the best but are accessible by car
There are trucks that sell vegetables come down the road every day also milk and juice every week and small groceries stores near by. Every month I get a taxi go to Santiago to stock up on anything special.
I retired here about 8 years ago and on a small pension built my house and live very well.

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
AK 74
We have 12 hours of electricity but have invertors so we have power 24 hours a day
There are trucks that sell vegetables come down the road every day also milk and juice every week and small groceries stores near by. Every month I get a taxi go to Santiago to stock up on anything special.
I retired here about 8 years ago and on a small pension built my house and live very well.

You are true man and example to follow!

Thank you for the honest info!

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
AK 74

That is AWESOME...I really admire you!
SHALENA

Yachtguy1

Sep 30, 2008
Land and construction

AK...Good man! I, too, found a really great piece of land with a verified clear title off the road between Luperon and El Castillo. Very seriously considering buying this and doing what you did...

Beaches close (5 min car / 15 walk) and a fifteen minute ride to Luperon. Is this near where you guys are???

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
I live in Martin Alonzo it's on the back road to El Castillo

There are some very nice, educated and intelligent friends of mine who would love to move to DR. But not with the current shameless inflated gringo RE prices that we witness in places like Sosua ans Cabarete. So, I will PM you and your small expat community will grow.
God bless you!