Is there a veterans facility in the DR ?

Jan 9, 2004
There is a VA office in Puerta Plata and in Santiago.

To my knowledge;

There are no VA, as in US Government VA facilities, in either Santiago or Puerto Plata.

There are private facilities purporting to help US Veterans, and maybe they do, but they are not a part of nor controlled by nor sanctioned officially by the VA.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

xstew

Jul 4, 2012
To my knowledge;

There are no VA, as in US Government VA facilities, in either Santiago or Puerto Plata.

There are private facilities purporting to help US Veterans, and maybe they do, but they are not a part of nor controlled by nor sanctioned officially by the VA.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

If this is another scam its pretty sick. I suggest all U.S. Veterans in the Dominican Republic contact the U.S. Embassy about this . Please keep this thred open untill it is resolved!

Jan 9, 2004
If this is another scam its pretty sick. I suggest all U.S. Veterans in the Dominican Republic contact the U.S. Embassy about this . Please keep this thred open untill it is resolved!

I think the email address using a hotmail account should raise at least a caution flag.....only Hillary Clinton is allowed to use a private server to conduct official government business lol.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

harry myrtle beach

Sep 16, 2015
How to contact the Department of Veterans Affairs?
You may obtain contact information for the VA at the following address: www.va.gov/landing2_contact.htm

For more information VA Services and Benefits for U.S. Veterans Living Abroad www.vba.va.gov/bln/21/foreign/index.htm

Veterans Affairs Publications of Interest -

Federal Benefits for Veterans Dependents and Survivors 2013 Edition - http://www.va.gov/opa/publications/benefits_book.asp

There is an office in the Embassy that can help with Social Security and VA affairs,of course by appointment only

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
I went to the facility in Santiago. They said there was a first time $1000. RD to register and get I.D. I had an EKG and they checked my blood pressure. The doctor, very competent, then advised me to see a cardiologist at Union Medico. I went back once for an allergy shot which the Dr. gave me free of charge.
I was looking but couldn't find their business card. I'll post the info later if I find it in my truck. I was referred there by a vet and saw other vets there.
I was told about offices in both Puerto Plata as well as S.D

Jan 9, 2004
How to contact the Department of Veterans Affairs?
You may obtain contact information for the VA at the following address: www.va.gov/landing2_contact.htm

For more information VA Services and Benefits for U.S. Veterans Living Abroad www.vba.va.gov/bln/21/foreign/index.htm

Veterans Affairs Publications of Interest -

Federal Benefits for Veterans Dependents and Survivors 2013 Edition - http://www.va.gov/opa/publications/benefits_book.asp

There is an office in the Embassy that can help with Social Security and VA affairs,of course by appointment only

Thanks for posting that contact information and informing Vets that the only real VA government office....is inside the Embassy.

There may be other helpful agencies, but they are not government affiliated or sanctioned....and they may not be free either.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Since when does a US federal agency use a @hotmail.com as an email suffix. This is not a legitimate US government email domain. Dead giveaway.

I was introduced to this group by a vet (I am one, also) I know in Puerto Plata. They are fairly aggressive, and as others have pointed out, not affiliated with the Veterans' Administration.

tmnyc

Oct 19, 2006
THE V.A will send my prescription medication anywhere I live

Not anywhere. The Veterans Health Administration pharmacy service will NOT, nor is authorized to ship medications or medical/surgical supply items outside of the United States or U.S. Territories. This includes refills.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Not anywhere. The Veterans Health Administration pharmacy service will NOT, nor is authorized to ship medications or medical/surgical supply items outside of the United States or U.S. Territories. This includes refills.

The workaround for that is, of course, to get a Florida address from one of the forwarding services.