Is there a veterans facility in the DR ?

gilbert1234

Apr 2, 2016
"I might be better off not moving there", (that's your advice) all I wanted to know is there a contact, I didn't ask wheter I should move there or not "Freqxpat" Yesss Sir that kind of ticked me off, but I'm okay now ............I heard there was a office or Facility, I guess I should hold all my other questions and do my OWN leg work...........huh ? Once I'm there about 3 years then maybe it'll be my chance to be a smartass tooooo !!!

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
"I might be better off not moving there", (that's your advice) all I wanted to know is there a contact, I didn't ask wheter I should move there or not "Freqxpat" Yesss Sir that kind of ticked me off, but I'm okay now ............I heard there was a office or Facility, I guess I should hold all my other questions and do my OWN leg work...........huh ? Once I'm there about 3 years then maybe it'll my chance to be smartass tooooo !!!

Bro, keep doin' what your doin', absorb the nuggets of gold here, and ignore the d'BAGS living off social security and drinking Kill Mese Beer on the malecon!

gilbert1234

Apr 2, 2016
There is a office that serves vets I talked to them today
sometimes people don't know everything !!!!

gilbert1234

Apr 2, 2016
One more thing Mr Freqexpat:
if you not sure of your information you should just be "Quiet" don't talk about what you don't know Mr Smart Ass (there is one)

Medical Liaison and Veteran Assistance
Calle Prof. Juan Bosch, #26
Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic
Phone: 809-261-1867
Email: mlva.dr@hotmail.com

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Do you have personal experience doing it this way?

Although I am a veteran, I don't use the VA pharmacy services because my prescription co-pays are so low. I do get my prescriptions filled by my pharmacy in the US and sent to my Business Mail address in Florida. Never had a problem and I have been here since 2001.

La Profe_1

Oct 15, 2003
if you not sure of your information you should just be "Quiet" don't talk about what you don't know Mr Smart Ass (there is one)

Gilbert, I am a vet, live in Puerto Plata, and have had contact with the people at this office. They are not official representatives of the VA and failed to inform me of that fact. I would be careful in dealing with them.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Gilbert,

I'd look into securing an account with a Miami-based courier service. Makes it a lot easier to get your refills, snail mail and deliveries to you. Some have local offices, others offer door-to-door service.

Good luck!

Jan 9, 2004

If you are ok with them not being a part of the VA....go for it.

If you are ok with having to sign up and pay a fee to them for their help....go for it.

There is enough excellent information in this thread for you to choose.....and after all it is your decision.

Good Luck.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

gilbert1234

Apr 2, 2016
knowledge is all we want

If this is another scam its pretty sick. I suggest all U.S. Veterans in the Dominican Republic contact the U.S. Embassy about this . Please keep this thred open untill it is resolved!

All people are trying to do is get knowledge, doubting is one thing but if you don't know (you don't know) don't even comment if you have not done your home work (I hate when people have a little knowledge and question all knowledge that don't come from them that's "arrogance" if this not you ..........I APOLOGIZE !

La Profe_1

Oct 15, 2003
I trust that you will believe information from the VA itself?

Here is a link to a list of all Veterans' service organizations recognized by the VA. Please note that "Medical Liaison and Veteran Assistance" is not on it.

http://www.va.gov/vso/VSO-Directory_2013-2014.pdf

You can tell from the url that the link is from the VA and is a .gov web address.

tmnyc

Oct 19, 2006

Your need to read the prior posts. The above is NOT the VA center or connected with the US Gov't. Just because they said so doesn't mean so. Don't follow the lemmings over the cliff. The above is a business- most likely not legit. This "Office" is not affiliated with the US Gov't. Again, there are no VA Facilities in the Dominican Republic.

There is a Federal Benefits Unit (FBU) officer at the American Embassy in Santo Domingo who assists U.S. citizens, Dominicans and third country nationals who receive benefits from the Social Security Administration, Railroad Retirement Board, Office of Personnel Management, and the Department of Veterans Affairs. He is not from the VA, he works for the State Department assisting those with questions and or entitled to US benefits. Do yourself a favor and complete any claims or assistance you may need in the US from the VA or from the many legit non-profit organizations that assist vets prior to your travels. Don't be obtuse, you are not going to find that VA assistance overseas and will only compound your problems.

Last edited:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
All people are trying to do is get knowledge, doubting is one thing but if you don't know (you don't know) don't even comment if you have not done your home work (I hate when people have a little knowledge and question all knowledge that don't come from them that's "arrogance" if this not you ..........I APOLOGIZE !

well well, aren't you a disrespectful little boy? i know you did 10 years of intense research about DR that led you to establish that sosua is next door to punta cana. great accomplishent to start you off. but maybe you should consult cuba dave and andy the hobo traveler to verify info about vet you so cleverly obtained? you know, just to make sure?

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
We all know Uncle Sam is good at looking after his veterans, but to expect him to look after them in a foreign country is going a little too far dontcha think?

I'm a veteran too. I worked for Betty Windsor's Flying Circus. Even went over to Iraq in '91 to be smithereened. Got a medal to pin on my chest, but that's about it. Betty's not very good at looking after her vets tho.... There's a lot of em unemployed and homeless on the streets of England.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
We all know Uncle Sam is good at looking after his veterans, but to expect him to look after them in a foreign country is going a little too far dontcha think?

I'm a veteran too. I worked for Betty Windsor's Flying Circus. Even went over to Iraq in '91 to be smithereened. Got a medal to pin on my chest, but that's about it. Betty's not very good at looking after her vets tho.... There's a lot of em unemployed and homeless on the streets of England.

When I was in Panama I was told time and again that Medicare was available there, but it was just wishful thinking. There was a group that pretended to be US government sites, but never has the USA authorized any place out of the USA to do medicare work. Probably the same with VA. BUt I donno.
Der Fish

harry myrtle beach

Sep 16, 2015
Ok thanks for the info. I may try this next year instead of sending my refills to wife's family in New York. They bring them to me when they come for vacation. Since I am rated 100% disabled there is no co-pay on my refills with the VA.

La Profe_1

Oct 15, 2003
Ok thanks for the info. I may try this next year instead of sending my refills to wife's family in New York. They bring them to me when they come for vacation. Since I am rated 100% disabled there is no co-pay on my refills with the VA.

Since my co-pays are only a dollar per prescription, I don't worry too much about cost.