Is there a veterans facility in the DR ?

gilbert1234

Apr 2, 2016
Bro, keep doin' what your doin', absorb the nuggets of gold here, and ignore the d'BAGS living off social security and drinking Kill Mese Beer on the malecon!

Thanks man lol
did get kid of mad there a little bit ...ha ha .....I apologize thats not my intention to insult anyone!

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Actually you have stumbled onto something. The US Embassy or consulate staff should be able to tell you , or find out if this is a legit organization.

Last edited by a moderator:

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
To be honest my instincts tell me that this thread is a troll but because you are representing yourself as a vet I will give you the benefit of the doubt and give a reply.

Why question whether he served or not? He says he served, why not leave it at that?

harry myrtle beach

Sep 16, 2015
VA Caribbean Healthcare System
San Juan, PR 00921-3201 The VA Caribbean Healthcare System consists of the main medical center located in San Juan, Puerto Rico, with satellite clinics located in Ponce, southern part of the Island, and Mayag?ez, the western coast. There are Community Based Outpatient Clinics (CBOCs) in St. Thomas and in St. Croix (U.S. Virgin Islands), Arecibo (northwest Puerto Rico), and Guayama (southeast Puerto Rico). The medical center includes multi-disciplinary ambulatory facilities, 348 authorized hospital beds, 12 blind rehabilitation beds and 120 nursing home beds. The Center services a population of approximately 150,883 veterans in Puerto Rico and in the U.S. Virgin Islands according to 2000 U.S. Census figures. In FY 2006 the VA Caribbean HCS registered 9,548 admissions, and treated 68,364 unique patients at all clinic areas in Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands, and providing 835,746 outpatient visits.

AFFILIATIONS
The VA Caribbean HCS as active affiliations with the four LCME accredited medical schools in Puerto Rico; University of Puerto Rico(UPR), Universidad Central del Caribe, Ponce School of Medicine, and San Juan Bautista Medical School. Over 900 trainees residents, interns, and students are trained at this facility each year. There are medical residents from 23 different specialties residency-training programs, seven of which are sponsored by the San Juan VA Medical Center. Has an institutional Accreditation Council Graduate Medical Education Council (ACGME) accreditation plus accreditation from the American Dental Association and the American Dietetics Association. Has training programs in Clinical Psychology and Primary Care Pharmacy. There are academic affiliations with nine different Nursing schools and also Dental, Pharmacy, Dietetics, Social Work, Occupational and Physical Therapy, Psychology, Laboratory, Radiography, Surgical, Cardiovascular Technology and Respiratory Therapy academic affiliations.
http://www.va.gov/directory/guide/facility.asp?ID=714

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
Beyond the poster issues, I worry some vet will fall victim to identity theft because if this agency purports to be an arm of the US government they would require your social security number to be a "member". Watch a little Miami news and you see time after time medicare fraud and identity theft scams paying on people who give up their id info.

harry myrtle beach

Sep 16, 2015
It seems to me the best solution if you retire in the DR as a Vet is to use the San Juan VMAC as your primary care. When I was considering retirng here That would be my choice. I did have a conversation with the San Juan VMAC and asked about pharmacy refils being sent to the DR and they said it was possible. Keep in mind that was just a conversation and that might not be correct information. I will still be coming to DR for 4 months of the year but will not make this my permanent home.Hope this info helps.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
Quality medical care is extremely difficult to navigate here. If its acute or trauma go to HOMS in Santiago anything chronic , diagnostic, or routine exams hop on a plane. While there you can stock up on statins (cholesterol meds) or whatever long term maintenance stuff you need and you don't have to worry about the counterfeit drug factor .

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
Further , I noticed that the photo posted contained an American flag. A lot of businesses here hang a U.S flag. They believe it legitimizes there product as being much better.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I would say that depends. My wife just had her gallbladder removed at Union Medica in Santiago last Friday. Three small insertions and overnight in the hospital. Walking fine but slow Saturday and Sunday. Walking normal Monday with no pain and no problems. incisions good colour and healing well. Price after insurance 12,000 pesos.

l.garcia

Apr 5, 2016
There is not a VA office in the Dominican Republic. There is a Medical Liaison and Veteran Assistance. Privately owned. They provide great medical care.

l.garcia

Apr 5, 2016
They are a private clinic not the VA. (AS clearly noted on their website..) They even assisted me with my VA claim. I am now 70% service connected thanks to Medical Liaison. I could not have done it without them. They provide a lot of information about the benefits I deserved. I will also add this extra assistance is FREE of CHARGE. just Vets helping Vet.!!!

harry myrtle beach

Sep 16, 2015
They are a private clinic not the VA. (AS clearly noted on their website..) They even assisted me with my VA claim. I am now 70% service connected thanks to Medical Liaison. I could not have done it without them. They provide a lot of information about the benefits I deserved. I will also add this extra assistance is FREE of CHARGE. just Vets helping Vet.!!!

PM me if you want advice in getting your 70% to 100%