Is There Overtime?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I learned something from a guy who had lived here for YEARS, and was married to a "Dominicana", almost 30 years ago, and it's still valuable "Info" today!
I was using "Conventional Wisdom" when I tipped the waiters, bartenders, maids, etc., at the Hotel Naco where I lived back then.
They provided me a "service", I gave them an "Over Generous Gringo Guilt Tip"!
The ,"We have Sooooooo Much, and They Have Sooooooooo Little" mentality.
He noticed my "Mistake"!!!
He said, "Give a Small tip", just not every time!
If you tip a Dominican Every time they serve you, they think it's automatic, so they stop giving you good, timely service!
I thought he was "Full Of $HIT"!!!!!!!!
Turns out, "HE WAS RIGHT"!!!!!!!
The ONLY people I tip generously, and every time, are the people at Supermercado National in Arroyo Hondo, and "Jumbo Express" near Maximo Gomez.
Other than them, I "Keep Them Guessing"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dominicans who work menial jobs in tourist areas, or interact with "Grongos" on a regular basis, ALWAYS "low Ball" what they earn, and Exagerate how hard they are "Forced" to work!
They know that some foreigners will pity them (Condescending As Has Been Noted!!!) and feel the need to "Help Them Out"!
Dominicans can smell "Stupid" and you become a Target!
I'm "Dominicanized", I only Help MY Family!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCc

Yeah I hope any gringos don't get the foolish idea that you dont have to pay your employees any overtime, after reading that post. There is the law for Dominicans that run a business, and there is the law for a gringo establishment. If that kid worked for a foreigner, there would be labor lawyers lining up at his place.

I know the expats who built our pool gave overtime pay to the workers if they worked more than a certain amount of hours.(can't remember the exact amount of hours) The workers all yelled so loud one day when they were told they were getting OT pay it was cool how happy they were about it.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I know the expats who built our pool gave overtime pay to the workers if they worked more than a certain amount of hours.(can't remember the exact amount of hours) The workers all yelled so loud one day when they were told they were getting OT pay it was cool how happy they were about it.

I am sure you overpaid 3-4X the "Local" price to dig the pool, so all parties were happy about this!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
we employed 2 delivery boys in the pharmacy. flat salary (minimum). we provided pasolas. after one was stolen we put a stop to that thou. but we paid petrol even when messengers were using own transport. we also paid for an odd goma, broken light and so on. the guys got some tips. most clients (dominicans) never tipped. some would give few coins from the change. many regular clients would give the delivery guys something for xmas, few hundred pesos. nearly everyone who won some decent money in the lottery (we were only authorized to pay up to certain amount) would give few hundred pesos.

many delivery boys have a salary, albeit low. and there is such thing as overtime IF YOU ARE EMPLOYED LEGALLY. just looking at the working hours i can tell this guy is not. so he may get 5k pesos a month plus tips. but he has no insurance, pays no income taxes, no money goes towards his social security. with an irregular flow of cash like this he is not better off.even if he makes 10k a month in tips i am pretty sure he spends most of what he gets every day. i have seen enough of that when we had our pharmacy in the barrio. whatever cash they make they instantly spend: plato del dia, then some refresco, then some snacks, then they may buy something for the dinner for the family and voila, all of this is gone.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I usually tip a small amount to the "Colmado" & "Pharmacia" delivery guys.
You move to the TOP of their list when they deliver that way.
I have my kids go to the gate to get the delivery, and give the "Tip".
If an Adult in the house goes, THEY get the TIP!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Dan Spinnover

Nov 1, 2010
as noted, a tip is just that, a tip. It's something given to show your appreciation of good service. The tip is not meant to be a compensated salary or anything.

Another problem with being overly-generous is that they will expect it every time from then on out. If you're short one month, then you're in an awkward situation: "Do I get such-and-such and give a small tip, or just hold off altogether until I have enough to impress with my regular tip"?

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
I asked him his hourly wage, this is what I learned. He is in a decent position all criteria considered.

He makes RD$6,000 per month. Let's do the math again.

105 hours per week x 4 weeks = 420 hours a month.

6,000 / 420 = 14.28 pesos per hour

14.28 / 43 = USD$0.33 per hour

The colmado pays for the gas in the motores. They also pay for his breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I'm sure it isn't some restaurant and they give him stuff from the colmado, but it is still a free meal.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
there you go, it's all good. he has a set wages, gets free food and makes tips as an extra bonus.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
The "TIP" is for good service, but I "TIP" to get good service NEXT TIME even MORE!
THAT a Dominican can SOMETIMES understand!
If I don't get GREAT Service on future visits, NO TIP!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC