Is this a terrible year so far for tourism?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Have to agree with windguy on this one - Just bought a ticket to Toronto for $250, so not sure how much lower that can do.

Also agree with windguy that Cabarete is down, and can't help but feel that it's a big part due to Airbnb. As all the hotels have either closed (because they can't compete with airbnb) or turned into condos (adding yet more to Airbnb) the end result is no one advertising Cabarete. Without that, numbers will continue to stay down.

The way I watched it happen was the business was spiraling down and nobody was refurbishing the hotels. As the occupancy rates dropped, the owners of hotels converted them to condos and sold them. Then Airbnb came along and people rapidly started to use them, which is good for the consumer that does use Airbnb because the prices got driven downward over time.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
A lot of the hotels went downhill hill no Reno’s old furniture carribean style and feel and a lot of mom and pop places on Airbnb are done up to tee... look at Casa Linda model not on beach but thriving...you always get the bargain hunters where it’s easier to pull penny out of frogs ass... a lot want nicer better modern and willing to pay for it , times are changing...

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I was talking to someone who owns a large hotel and is very well connected with key people in government and powerful families. He said that there is a lot of discussion about AirBnB and he is certain that it will either be outlawed in some areas, or will be regulated with owners having to register to carry on. He said that the arguments being put forward are that AirBnB's are not paying ITBIS and there are security concerns. So this is definitely on the radar of the powers that be.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I was talking to someone who owns a large hotel and is very well connected with key people in government and powerful families. He said that there is a lot of discussion about AirBnB and he is certain that it will either be outlawed in some areas, or will be regulated with owners having to register to carry on. He said that the arguments being put forward are that AirBnB's are not paying ITBIS and there are security concerns. So this is definitely on the radar of the powers that be.

Many countries are "dealing" with Airbnb. Time will tell how the DR does it.

Tonchi

Nov 17, 2015
They will deal with it like they always do. TAX TAX TAX. They just havent figured out how to steal the most money possible yet

juanmac

Mar 21, 2019
I'm really curious to know if this is a blip, or something more long term. Could there still be a Maria/Irma effect keeping people from visiting?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Several locals commented to me yesterday that they had never seen so many tourists in Jarabacoa as they have these past three months.