Is tourism back?

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
North Coast, Playa Dorada no curfew ever. 500+ acres and miles of beaches on which to roam free untethered 24/7.

We don need no stinkin' curfew.
exactly.
huge Private Properties,
no curfew forprivate properties.
like here the huge Punta Cana Resort&Club or Cap Cana, each a good 30.000 acres of size to watch the skies from the beach at any time of day or night.

Andre14615

Banned
May 31, 2019
Punta Cana has a Curfew weekdays 7PM-5AM and Sat/Sund weekends 5PM-5AM.
the curfew is also running for Tourists, it is a CURFEW, always running for all.
many people are excepted from it for specific purposes, and only on the direct way to that purpose,
like Transfer Drivers are allowed to transfer Tourists between airport/hotels during curfew hours.
Resorts count as Private Property, so Curfew means you have to stay on the Hotel Property during curfew hours.
as for Tourism, it is growing on a super slow barely recognized pace.
compared to the same time1 year ago we are Empty.
only around a dozen of the over 100 Punta Cana Hotels are reopened, very most will not reopen 2020 and many will not reopen at all.
the highest occupancy rates at this moment are 25-30% at the Hard Rock and Secrets Cap Cana,
other reopened hotels in the PC area range only on 10-15% of occupancy.
I have no knowledge about occupancy rates of Hotels in other areas of the DR.
the in general over all DR Hotel/Tourism Situation is:
of over 300 Hotels are at this moment only around 40 Hotels reopened.
only 98 (Including those already open 40) announced a tentative reopening date before Dec 31st 2020.
more than 2/3rd of DR Hotels have not reopening date set.
we can do a "guess" that a very significant number will not reopen again in the near future(next 12 months).
As long as they stay on the resort grounds there is no curfew.

drisforme

May 28, 2016
Going in the restaurant every weekend on the beautiful beach of Cabarete ...It's unfortunate ,the number of restaurants opened is very limited and for the one opened ,quite empty.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
No, I'm really asking honestly. The DR reopened July 1 plus it's about the only place in world anyone can travel to. So I thought maybe it's back to normal. I'm in Israel. I have flight booked for next week to Santo Domingo. I am just going nuts being under lockdown. I want to get out a little bit.
Anyone who is American you mean. There are several billion people in the world who aren't American and we have lists of countries we can travel to, which don't include DR. For Brits for example, we can travel to anywhere in the Caribbean apart from DR.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I think the official figure is 10% occupancy in the AI's in July, I was told that anyway. They have to have at least 50% occupancy to be sustainable, the AI model cannot work unless they get to this level.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Anyone who is American you mean. There are several billion people in the world who aren't American and we have lists of countries we can travel to, which don't include DR. For Brits for example, we can travel to anywhere in the Caribbean apart from DR.
you mean the UK recommends their Citizens not to travel to DR, but it is not prohibited.
while very few, we have british guests in Punta Cana.
they arrive via Spain, France and Switzerland for example.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
you mean the UK recommends their Citizens not to travel to DR, but it is not prohibited.
while very few, we have british guests in Punta Cana.
they arrive via Spain, France and Switzerland for example.

For Brits we are advised against all non-essential travel to DR, so nobody would have travel insurance and very limited help available from the Embassy if they run into trouble. And a mandatory 14 day quarantine on return to the UK. Plus now the new requirement for a PCR test on arrival. None of which applies to other countries in the Caribbean.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
For Brits we are advised against all non-essential travel to DR, so nobody would have travel insurance and very limited help available from the Embassy if they run into trouble. And a mandatory 14 day quarantine on return to the UK. Plus now the new requirement for a PCR test on arrival. None of which applies to other countries in the Caribbean.
which, in my eyes, make's the DR the better place,
as others are open without any such infection check.
the world needs urgently better testing processes, to check for covid19 fast AND reliable,
because waiting for a vaccine or such kinda magic will have runined the world's economies long before such could have been developed,
if such vaccine ever will be found in the first place.
Life has to go on NOW,
Economies have to be brought back on track NOW,
so we have to focus on Living With the Virus,
instead of making useless decisions about who is infected more or less country wise.

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
North Coast, Playa Dorada no curfew ever. 500+ acres and miles of beaches on which to roam free untethered 24/7.

We don need no stinkin' curfew.

From the research I did, there's only Jack Tar open in Playa Dorada at the moment. Do you know different? The others are scheduled to open in November.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
From the research I did, there's only Jack Tar open in Playa Dorada at the moment. Do you know different? The others are scheduled to open in November.

Right, Blue Jack Tar and Riviera Azul are open. But both have condos and residents, so they have to allow access. There are people staying at the BJT hotel but I don't know the occupancy. and Green Jack restaurant is open.

The AI's have to be hurting as to coming up with a plan. It's got to be near impossible for an AI to start back up with just a trickle of people coming in. And I doubt they even have a trickle right now.

Reactions: Seamonkey

Meat

Aug 3, 2020
DR
I'm in Sosua and it's pretty quiet. Flip flops always has some clientele but no wait. Down on the beach even the popular places have their waitstaff cut down from 6 to 2-3 staff total. I see very few tourists from Hispaniola down to the beach. One to three people total in the popular breakfast spots. Yea, it's quiet.
I've seen maybe a few gringos in as many days.

Gadfly

Jul 7, 2016
Basically my question is this: I'm landing in Santo Domingo on the 11th and then heading north to Santiago, possibly go to the beach a bit.

Should expect I deserted airports, empty beaches, ghost towns in tourist areas (I'm staying with a family, not a tourist area) or are things going to be pretty much normal?
Santiago is an hour from beach

harrydubois

Jul 23, 2020
Israel
which, in my eyes, make's the DR the better place,
as others are open without any such infection check.
the world needs urgently better testing processes, to check for covid19 fast AND reliable,
because waiting for a vaccine or such kinda magic will have runined the world's economies long before such could have been developed,
if such vaccine ever will be found in the first place.
Life has to go on NOW,
Economies have to be brought back on track NOW,
so we have to focus on Living With the Virus,
instead of making useless decisions about who is infected more or less country wise.

I cannot quite grasp what the global COVID-19 quarantine is all about. It isn't that dangerous. This is not the Black Death.

If we want to do extreme things to save lives, how about reducing the speed limit from 100 km/hour to 10 km/hour? That's about the speed which horse drawn wagons traveled for thousands of years. You'll save over a million lives each year.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Punta Cana has a Curfew weekdays 7PM-5AM and Sat/Sund weekends 5PM-5AM.
the curfew is also running for Tourists, it is a CURFEW, always running for all.
many people are excepted from it for specific purposes, and only on the direct way to that purpose,
like Transfer Drivers are allowed to transfer Tourists between airport/hotels during curfew hours.
Resorts count as Private Property, so Curfew means you have to stay on the Hotel Property during curfew hours.
as for Tourism, it is growing on a super slow barely recognized pace.
compared to the same time1 year ago we are Empty.
only around a dozen of the over 100 Punta Cana Hotels are reopened, very most will not reopen 2020 and many will not reopen at all.
the highest occupancy rates at this moment are 25-30% at the Hard Rock and Secrets Cap Cana,
other reopened hotels in the PC area range only on 10-15% of occupancy.
I have no knowledge about occupancy rates of Hotels in other areas of the DR.
the in general over all DR Hotel/Tourism Situation is:
of over 300 Hotels are at this moment only around 40 Hotels reopened.
only 98 (Including those already open 40) announced a tentative reopening date before Dec 31st 2020.
more than 2/3rd of DR Hotels have not reopening date set.
we can do a "guess" that a very significant number will not reopen again in the near future(next 12 months).
We can say good bye to the year after year GDP growth this country has
been experiencing since the early 2000's at +5%. With all of their eggs in
one basket and such poor decisions being made, the damage they've done
to the tourism industry as a whole will last for many years. With no vaccine
in site this curfew may continue well into 2021..