Island consciousness

Tordok

Bronze
Oct 6, 2003
oops! sweet haiti

In my previous post I wrote:
"...Dessertification is advancing in many parts of Haiti......."

I obviously meant de?sert?i?fi?ca?tion (the transformation of arable or habitable land to desert, as by a change in climate or destructive land use).

I guess that Dessertification would be more palatable.

-Tordok

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
money alone is not the answer

The trouble is not just money. What needs to happen is a combination of reforestation for biodiversity along with a forest farming practice that lets people get crops almost instantly. It is impossable to get a mango tree to produce when it is needed to make charcoal today.
What is neede is fast growing trees that could be used for livestock feed in usable amounts within months of planting, they need to grow in poor soil, be easily used for making charcoal and at the same be easily interplanted with mangos, banannas, and citrus crops. Those trees are out there. Some missionaries are working with them. Just remember if it is church related it is considered taboo.
What it will take is an injection of outside knowlege. The only way to inject that is to either bring dominicanos out of the campos into a different enviroment and let them learn and then try to get them to go back or get people from a different enviroment to come in and inject a different way of doing things all the while do it in a way that is not patronsizing to the locals.
John

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Please!

jsizemore said:
The trouble is not just money.
Make up your mind! Then people will know from which way to attack you. It is, or it is not the problem? You have stated both positions in your last two posts.

Without money to pay for things, nothing gets done. Period. Not much left to discuss after that. Sorry!

Tom aka XR I spilled spot remover on my dog. He's gone now.

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
sorry I should articulate better

I feel the money is being wasted and not spent on the problem. Yes money is needed but just like anything else unless the basic problem is attacked which is attitude and habits then no amount of money will solve it.
If a million dollars is spent to clean up a beach and then everyone throws the plastic out again it was wasted. If the same money was spent to plant trees then they get cut for charcoal it is wasted. Attacked the problem at the root, the cultural level and then the money spent is worth it. So until that happens the money spent will be locally for this resorts or that one and not for the entire island.
SO to repeat a previous post the problem is not just money.
John
The post about money the only solution was in referance to infrastructure itself and that yes needs cash. I should have been more specific with my post thanks for reminding me.
The trash no amount of money will fix with out atatcking the problem of attitude and habits.

Last edited:

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
I forgot

Tom we are not out of line in our thinking on this I was just incomplete and not specific about what I felt needed cash spent and what needed attitude change.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
XanaduRanch said:
Without money to pay for things, nothing gets done. Period. Not much left to discuss after that. Sorry!

Actually your wrong. We have plenty discuss, like how to raise the money.

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
money and value

How much of what needs to be done could be done with out money and then what money there is could be stretched further.
John

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Really Rob? Glad you agree!

Robert said:
Actually your wrong. We have plenty discuss, like how to raise the money.
Raise the money, for what? All I said was that this requires money. Was I wrong?

How to raise it is not my concern. What I said was, solely, that it was required. Thank you for agreeing with that.

Tom aka XR If you're too open minded, your brains will fall out.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
If Money is what the DR needs, well then...

the Dominican Government (one that really cares for the country) should get some excellent lobbyist and/or special interest groups in Washington to get the gringos to let go of their benjamins towards Santo Domingo. Did you know that the DR only gets $300 million in aid per year. In the other hand, Israel gets $3 billion. THAT'S $3,000,000,000.00 IN AID PER YEAR. THAT IS THE TOTAL AMOUNT THE USA GIVES TO EVERY OTHER SINGLE POOR COUNTRY COMBINED. And the sad part is that much of that money is being wasted on bombs and stuff rather than on programs that would enhance cooperation among the Isrealis and Palestinians. So why does Israel gets $3 billion and the DR (formely liberated by America) only a mere $300 million, special interest groups, baby.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Nal0whs said:
the Dominican Government (one that really cares for the country) should get some excellent lobbyist and/or special interest groups in Washington to get the gringos to let go of their benjamins towards Santo Domingo. Did you know that the DR only gets $300 million in aid per year. In the other hand, Israel gets $3 billion. THAT'S $3,000,000,000.00 IN AID PER YEAR. THAT IS THE TOTAL AMOUNT THE USA GIVES TO EVERY OTHER SINGLE POOR COUNTRY COMBINED. And the sad part is that much of that money is being wasted on bombs and stuff rather than on programs that would enhance cooperation among the Isrealis and Palestinians. So why does Israel gets $3 billion and the DR (formely liberated by America) only a mere $300 million, special interest groups, baby.

The DR does not need handouts!
If anyone responds to the above post with a USA or political slant they will have their posting rights removed until the wall in Israel is finished. You have been warned...