ISP Tech Problem

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
retired English teacher (30 years)
Hello All,

I have a technical problem that I need to address at Altice. However, the problem is that it's a problem they may not even be familiar with and given my intermediate level of Spanish, that spells disaster. So I'm hoping that if someone here already has a solution, you could save me a lot of grief!

To do my (computer) job, I need to specify and open a port on my Altice router/modem. That procedure is variously referred to as Port range forwarding or Port triggering. This is a common procedure and I have already configured my Windows 11 LAN and firewall for the same. However, when I enter my Altice modem/router, I see that the settings I need don't exist and when I read the manual for the modem, this confirms that the settings do not exist.

So now I am in trouble because I can't do my work. If I was here visiting for a few weeks, no problem. But I'm here for life!

I know I have options to investigate such as finding a router/modem here that has the settings I need but there's still the issue as to how Altice might play (or not play) with equipment that is not theirs because they control the signal. And, in general, getting a straight answer here is often difficult, particularly when you ask a question and the somene who should know doesn't even know what you're talking about. And never thinks about picking up the phone to investigate further.

Anybody have a known solution? Thanks!

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
Hello All,

I have a technical problem that I need to address at Altice. However, the problem is that it's a problem they may not even be familiar with and given my intermediate level of Spanish, that spells disaster. So I'm hoping that if someone here already has a solution, you could save me a lot of grief!

To do my (computer) job, I need to specify and open a port on my Altice router/modem. That procedure is variously referred to as Port range forwarding or Port triggering. This is a common procedure and I have already configured my Windows 11 LAN and firewall for the same. However, when I enter my Altice modem/router, I see that the settings I need don't exist and when I read the manual for the modem, this confirms that the settings do not exist.

So now I am in trouble because I can't do my work. If I was here visiting for a few weeks, no problem. But I'm here for life!

I know I have options to investigate such as finding a router/modem here that has the settings I need but there's still the issue as to how Altice might play (or not play) with equipment that is not theirs because they control the signal. And, in general, getting a straight answer here is often difficult, particularly when you ask a question and the somene who should know doesn't even know what you're talking about. And never thinks about picking up the phone to investigate further.

Anybody have a known solution? Thanks!
What if your job implemented a desktop container/VPN combo for you. That's the most common remote secure solution. Most companies use this method because relying on 3rd world ISPs ain't too bright

Assuming you're in this situation because you are transferring some kind of restricted data like hL7, HIPAA, for example?

Kricke87

Feb 16, 2021
Sosúa
Although I'm fairly sure they won't be able to assist you, I would still contact Altice, I don't have any experience with Altice except with my cell phone. The majority of ISPs here use something called Carrier-grade NAT, so even if you were able to configure port forwarding on your modem, it would only go so far as between you and Altice's servers. So unless you are able to get your own public IP address, it won't matter. Depending on where you live, you should investigate if there are any "local" ISP options that could give you a public IP address, I have, but then I use a "local" ISP.
What if your job implemented a desktop container/VPN combo for you. That's the most common remote secure solution. Most companies use this method because relying on 3rd world ISPs ain't too bright

Assuming you're in this situation because you are transferring some kind of restricted data like hL7, HIPAA, for example?
If not, this is basically your only option.
There are "cheap" cloud solutions so you can use a cloud-based computer.

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014

My job is "me" -- self-employed. RE: "container/VPN" combo, I have found references to same on the net. I'm going to look for such a third-party solution and try bypassing Altice. Can you give me any leads/suggestions on your recommendation with respect to tutorials/companies? Meanwhile, I'll google and investigate. Thanks.

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
@ El Hijo de Manolo
@ Kricke87
@ Anyone Else

LOL! I got to thinking . . . First of all, my "job," (retirement activity) is that I am running a Full Node of BTC to support the blockchain. No monetary benefit whatsoever.

If I go to bitnodes.io for example, and enter my IP address and then enter the Port I need, I get a return that recognizes my computer but tells me that that Port is closed. If it wasn't, I could go to a map of the D.R. and see the location where my Full Node was running.

So I'm running a Full Node now but it's not optimized. I have peers, I have transactions in real time, but I'm missing some data inputs.

I have a paid Proton Mail account. They have recently established a new VPN. As I read through that information, without yet making a purchase, I see that I can opt to route through TOR, that I can bypass "network Issues," that there are many, many settings available and also it appears that they have good tech support. And it will only cost me $12.00 USD for the first month with a 30 day money back guarantee. I'll need access to the whole program to see if, in fact, I can do my own port forwarding . . . and, if not, I'll just get my money back. I'll let you know what happens. @Kricke87, I'm thinking this is what you mean by a cloud based solution?

Reactions: NanSanPedro

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
My job is "me" -- self-employed. RE: "container/VPN" combo, I have found references to same on the net. I'm going to look for such a third-party solution and try bypassing Altice. Can you give me any leads/suggestions on your recommendation with respect to tutorials/companies? Meanwhile, I'll google and investigate. Thanks.
Well organizations deploy customized containers for their remote employees and contractors, so in your case probably useless. It depends who you are connecting to that has the requirements to have certain ports opened.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I have read of persons changing their Altice model for another make/model.

Does that make any sense?

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I have read of persons changing their Altice model for another make/model.

Does that make any sense?
Thank you, JD Jones. Yes, it does make sense. I am going to find a budge modem/router on Amazon with the features I need for about $50.00. Before I purchase, I can download the manual, always free, and confirm that it has the port forward settings available. Then I will swap that out for my Altice (yes, many customers at ISP's, instead of renting their equipment, return it and buy their own) and hope that Altice is not port blocking above the level of the modem, in which case, I lost the money. But worth a try.

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
Nord VPN with the option for a static IP address?
This is something I don't understand well. I've caught hints that what you are suggesting could be part of a solution. I think you are referring to changing from a dynamic to a static DNS. However, without being able to specify the exact port I need, in this case, 8881, I don't see how that could help. I signed up to Proton Mail VPN but they had no solution for me so I cancelled with refund.

Today I spoke to someone in tech support at the Altice office in Sambil. She understood nothing of what I talked about. Later she returned with the manual for the modem. It was the same manual I already had read the night before, besides which, I didn't even need the manual to access my router directly and see that it offered zero config. for what I need. A family member will call Altice tomorrow (555*) and find out if they offer a business class modem with the features I need or whether all of Altice has the same featureless router/modem.

Reactions: CristoRey

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
This is something I don't understand well. I've caught hints that what you are suggesting could be part of a solution. I think you are referring to changing from a dynamic to a static DNS. However, without being able to specify the exact port I need, in this case, 8881, I don't see how that could help. I signed up to Proton Mail VPN but they had no solution for me so I cancelled with refund.

Today I spoke to someone in tech support at the Altice office in Sambil. She understood nothing of what I talked about. Later she returned with the manual for the modem. It was the same manual I already had read the night before, besides which, I didn't even need the manual to access my router directly and see that it offered zero config. for what I need. A family member will call Altice tomorrow (555*) and find out if they offer a business class modem with the features I need or whether all of Altice has the same featureless router/modem.
Please post their response once received.
I'm curious to know the results as well as any solution they are able to offer you going forward.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
What you "may" be looking for is Port Forwarding.
I use "Port Forwarding" for my security cameras.

Check out the link below.

Port Forwarding

Short Answer:
Opening ports on your router

1. Navigate to your router's configuration page by typing the router's IP address into your browser.
  2. Find a settings tab for Ports, or Port Forwarding.
  3. Where indicated, input the number of the port you want to open.
I think Nothing to do with VPN

Reactions: bob saunders

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
T
What you "may" be looking for is Port Forwarding.
I use "Port Forwarding" for my security cameras.

Check out the link below.

Port Forwarding

Short Answer:
Opening ports on your router

1. Navigate to your router's configuration page by typing the router's IP address into your browser.
  2. Find a settings tab for Ports, or Port Forwarding.
  3. Where indicated, input the number of the port you want to open.
I think Nothing to do with VPN

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
Yes, what I'm looking at is port forwarding or port triggering. I did navigate to Altice's router/modem setup. The problem is that this is a basic modem without advanced config. so port forwarding is not possible. That is why I have ordered a superior one from Amazon, Motorola, that has exactly what I need. I read the manual and it is very detailed. I am still waiting for this item to arrive. I will swap out and hope that Altice plays nicely with equipment that is not theirs.

What I learned is that some VPNs offer port forwarding and some do not. If one does offer, it that does NOT mean that you can forward that signal through your designated port if is has not been configured first in the modem. So a modem without port forwarding config. is a no go for any VPN that offers it. The VPN cannot forward a signal that it never receives.

Drak

Jul 7, 2015
However, when I enter my Altice modem/router, I see that the settings I need don't exist and when I read the manual for the modem, this confirms that the settings do not exist.

May I suggest:

1. Google the make and model of your modem, and try relevant keywords such as port forwarding, login, admin, missing, etc.

Many companies don't publish the advanced settings, or make it difficult to get to.​
Search something like: "my router doesn't have port forwarding" and you'll see various results and answers such as:​

2. You could also venture into custom firmware, which gives you much more control over the device. A couple I've tried in the distant past:

NOTE: They generally come with disclaimers such as:​
Be aware that there is a potential risk of bricking your router while installing a non official firmware.
Do it at your own risk.
You assume all responsibility for anything that happens and we accept no responsibility if you brick your router.

Reactions: Lucas61

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
May I suggest:

1. Google the make and model of your modem, and try relevant keywords such as port forwarding, login, admin, missing, etc.

Many companies don't publish the advanced settings, or make it difficult to get to.​
Search something like: "my router doesn't have port forwarding" and you'll see various results and answers such as:​

2. You could also venture into custom firmware, which gives you much more control over the device. A couple I've tried in the distant past:

NOTE: They generally come with disclaimers such as:​
Be aware that there is a potential risk of bricking your router while installing a non official firmware.
Do it at your own risk.
You assume all responsibility for anything that happens and we accept no responsibility if you brick your router.
Thanks much for suggesting these work-arounds. Turns out I lucked out. It turns out that Altice does have a modem, an upgrade, with excellent and well-designed advanced configuration options: ARRIS TG2482. That is now installed and I have a proper configuration. You can read about how complicated this turned out to be if you see my post on running Full Node blockchain (BTC). However, the modem. config. part wasn't what was hard. When the technician was here, I learned something important, no details, but a fact. When he connected the modem, as yet, there was no signal until he got on his smartphone and set up provisioning with Altice. Obviously, I couldn't have done that. I'm out of that loop. So that indicates that now matter what I tried do as a DIY project with my LAN that it probably would have failed for the reason above.

Reactions: Drak