Issuing A Challenge To All Visiting The Dr

Scoobster

Sep 30, 2003
Good People....show your support please!

I have been away from the posting for a while, yet I am still the last one to have responded......

Please, to all of you who are travelling to the DR this coming season....
Donate, something, to someone!

Lets see some more support!

Cheers
Jimmy

toby

Dec 8, 2003
rainbow families foundation

How wonderful it is to see such a concienious thread of positive responses to the needs of the children in the Dominican republic. I for one will be spending Christmas in POP and meeting with volunteers of the Rainbow Families Foundation. We as a family will be carrying about 120lbs of donations, such as: bedding for a local maternity hospital, school supplies(paper, pencils, math sets, erasers, notebooks, chalk etc, men;s clothing and treats for Xmas to share with the street children, also tooth bushes and paste.) Remember, from Canada your baggage allowance is rated per person, so as a family of 4 it is possible to spread the weight of donations around and fill those bags! These are just a few other recommendations for those Canadains bringing donations:
1. A class set of math instruments (25) can be used and reused and reused again and agian within a school in the DR. These can be bought inexpencively at the local dollar stores or in bulk from Staples.
2. When packing place your donations of paper on top of clothing that may need a good ironing. The weight of the paper will "press out" the creases in your favourite summer dress! Works everytime!
3. If possible follow your donation to the school, hospital or institution. See what an impact your donations have on the local community, on the children, on the families.
4. There are several reputable tour companies who will take your donations to schools for you. In POP Outback Safari is one of them.
5. Be as generous as possible. Remember what it was like to be a kid again, opening up a fresh notebook for school! The reward is in the learning, and experiencing what education can do, If every Canadain contributed just one lad of school supplies for every visit to the DR we would be able to trully say we are CANADIAN! Viva Hispaniola! Vive le Canada! Vive Education!

Scoobster

Sep 30, 2003
VIVA TOBY!

With a few good people many amazing things can be, and shall be accomplished.

What a wonderful post, and very insightful as well!

Merry Christmas to you and yours, from us here in Ontario, Canada!

Cheers
Jimmy

toby

Dec 8, 2003
Christmas in the DR!!! Yippee

Thank you for your kind words! You are so right! As You already know Canadians have been the largest tourist body to visit the DR for many years. If we all packed school supplies for every visit the local community schools would not have such a shortage. Many of the expats will agree that the flooding damage and earthquake damage has caused a strain on the local economy and hardship for many many families across the island. Here is hoping the Canadian Tourist think to send supplies for the local hospitals, clothing for flood victims,school supplies and if at all possible a helping hand to those who must rebuild after the earthquake. For most financial donations are the easiest to provide and this forum (General) has wonderful threads to point you in the right direction to give your donation.
Keep up the good work DR1 for giving valued information to those who seek an alternative vacation experience in the DR! Bravo for you efforts and very enlightening!
Cheers Toby
P.S. Just to let you know I have just finished shovelling the driveway and paths that have about 4 inches of snow after last nights storm! Took about an hour! What a job! Can't wait to fly to paradise Thursday! You guys are sooooo lucky!

Scoobster

Sep 30, 2003
Posting Place for Donations?

For those who are in charge...or those who know who is....

It would be great to have an area to post listings such as this, so that people may go there and check out what is needed and where.

Just a thought.

Cheers
Jimmy

Scoobster

Sep 30, 2003
North...true!

You are correct north, and thats where I read it from, and refresshed the idea so to say.
I would love to help, yet I am not the most computer savy person around.
I am sure that a new forum is not far off.

Seasons greeting to all.

Jimmy

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
scoobster

I think you have very good intentions but are overlooking something here.

The frequent flyers of this board ALL give back to the DR in some way, shape or form.

Many are too humble to admit, others actively campaign for causes. I have shared Damalbi's story many times, and have had excellent response from board members. Cash donations, medical help, transportation, etc. etc. etc. Do a search on her name--you'll see.

The best that new people can do at this point is do a search and ask specific questions.

I think those truly motivated are willing to do this.

Your intentions are wonderful....

Don't despair there is no volunteer section.

It shouldn't stop anybody from doing what their heart tells them to do.

Scoobster

Sep 30, 2003
You are right...but...

mainegirl, you are oh so correct, yet I must say that as a new user to this site, I found the best way to get answers, quick, efficient, and good information, was to obviously post the question.

I know that there are, and have been, and will continue to be people as yourself, and some of the other posters who will continue to do what they do for thier particular cause with regards to the DR.

I agree 100% that if someone wants to help, they will find a way.

I firmly believe though, that if you make it easier for all of those who wish to help, it wil, and can only benefit those who would be receiving the generosity of the travellers.

I still firmly believe in a message borad for those who both would like to post for thier cause, and those who would like to assist in some way, shape or form, could answer, or question.

I appreciate your insight, and as I have stated previously, I know I am not the first to do this, nor do I wish to be the last, I just think that a little initiative could develope into a greater thing.

Thank you for your kind words, and I hope that I have not offended you, as that was not my intetion.

I hope more people reading these post's will have kind hearts, and do what they can also.

Merry Ho Ho
Cheers

Jimmy

andy a

Bronze
Feb 23, 2002
Although this is a noble effort, I want to remind people one more time that there are many (just guessing, possibly as high as 10%) children who don't go to school at all.

Quite likely they are additionally being subjected to psychological abuse by family and other children for being "too stupid" to go to school. (Labelling them such by the family is their excuse for not letting them).

They are not hard to spot. Some kids go to school in the morning and some in the afternoon. Kids that are seen regularly elsewhere all day are obviously not going to school.

One of the attractions of the DR is that one can easily make contact with families in their homes - by accepting (inviting oneself in, almost) an invitation for drinking coffee, for example. He can then politely bring up the subject of the kid not being in school, and offer to help.

In addition to the personal satisfaction, one might well make a friend for life.

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
That is precisely what happened in Damalbi's case.

She is very bright and totally deaf. She has a 2nd grade education. Teachers gave up on her--couldn't give her the 1-on-1.

Right now she is not going to school and her mom is trying to teach her at home.

I have made friends with the family and my next trip I would like to talk to them about sending her to the deaf school in POP (how it could work).

From Luperon to POP...it is a big deal for a ten year old.

Scoobster

Sep 30, 2003
I understand

Mainegirl...and Andy

I fully understand what you are trying to convey.

I was to the web page of the Dream Project, and have been in contact with Tricia there, and this is where we are focussing our efforts for this trip to the DR. (My daughter, who is 11 is actually the one who started this whole effort)

I am sure that what you have stated is very true, sad as it may be, but I am sure also that the Dream Project will assist where needed.

It is heart wrenching to think that the children have that kind of labelling at such an impressionable age, yet I hope that what we can do, along with all of the others who have showed interest, is to help those who are in school, and need the assistance.

It is so awesome to see such a wide range of people helping in different ways.

I am humbled by the dedication that some of you have.

Thank you for the post, and I am sure that when we travel next year, that we will take on another cause to assist as best we can.

Just trying to make a difference, how-ever small.

Cheers
Jimmy

GlowWorm

Nov 18, 2003
Contact Established

I just made contact with Tricia and will be delivering some supplies when I am in Sosua in December. Plan on meeting with Tricia while there and putting a plan together for sponsorship of a child.

Thanks to all who provided information.

Happy Holidays,

Glow:beard:

Glimmer, Glimmer

Scoobster

Sep 30, 2003
Awesome

That is awesome glowworm............

I have contacted Tricia also, and she is making arrangements for the pick-up of my childrens class-mates donations also.

Very good!

It is amazing to see such great effort here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers
Jimmy

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I've been sleeping at the switch. Thought I had previously posted an illustrative list of supplies that could be put to good use in Sosua, but then after reading Scoobster's request for lists, etc., to be posted, I scrolled back and discovered that I hadn't.

If coming to Sosua and interested in donating supplies to the public elementary school here, here is an illustrative list of the sort of materials that would be appreciated:

Abacus
Children's books (educational; in Spanish)
Educational toys
Brain teasers
Geometric games
Plastercine or modeling clay
pens
pencils
crayons
colored pencils/markers
Crepe paper
rulers
Art supplies - water color/tempera etc.
Glue
pencil sharpeners
erasers
maps (Spanish)
laminated educational tools i.e. alphabet

This is only illustrative; anything would be appreciated. There presently is almost nothing in the school in the way of enrichment materials and supplies.

To deliver the materials, the easiest for most people would be to leave them at Sosua Business Services on the main street of Sosua. It is open Mon-Friday from about 8 to 5, and Saturday until noon. I'll amend this post tomorrow after double checking on landmarks that will help you locate the office.

Finding Sosua Business Services: Very easy. On Calle Pedro Clisante, the main street of Sosua, directly across the street from the Britannia Pub. It is in the ground floor of a white, 2-story building. The door opens onto the sidewalk (though is a bit recessed). Sosua Business Services is painted in large letters on the window, and also on a sign mounted above the door. The two secretaries speak English, as does Angie Wolff, the owner.

Last edited:

Scoobster

Sep 30, 2003
Thank you Ken

Thanks Ken for your list.

There are thousands of people who travel to the DR every year, and I am sure that many of you would like to help out where needed, so for those of you who are accepting this challenge, as you can see by Ken's post, help is needed.

So when you are travelling, make sure to bring along a few items, and donate them to the orginization of your choice.

A little from everyone does a lot for the children....and I am sure, as Ken could tell you, it will be greatly appreciated, not to mention the good feeling it will give to you.

Its a win-win situation here people.

Cheers
Jimmy

Scoobster

Sep 30, 2003
The Challenge Is Working People!

I just received this e mail today from Tricia @ the Dream Project.....to which I must say thank-you to the travellers who are taking this challenge!

Tricia writes...

The Challenge is on!!!I just picked up $100 of school supplies by guest who took your challenge!!!!!

Thanks and look forward to meeting you.
Tricia Thorndike Suriel
Executive Director

<<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>>
The Dominican Republic Education And Mentoring Project

The DREAM Project

Email: info@dominicandream.org
Web: www.dominicandream.org

USA Address
P.O. Box 4136
Ithaca, New York 14852
Tel: 607-533-4656

Dominican Republic Address
Bahia de Arena
Cabarete, Puerto Plata
Republica Dominicana
Tel: (809) 873-8240

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Activities for Children in Sosua

What I should have made clear earlier is that the solicitation that I made for school supplies for children in Sosua is not for some new project. There is and has been a lot going on here with the goal to make life better for children in this area.

Toys for Tots is one of these programs, and this year was the 7th. I don't have the report yet for this year, though I am sure it was successful, but I can tell you that last year approximately 150 children between ages 3 and 11 were identified by residents (both Dominican and expat) familiar with their financial circumstances of the families and invited to a Christmas party with singing, games, raffle, lunch, clowns, and the distribution of gifts. Additionally, 6 of the poorest families in the area were provided with a Christmas dinner.

This year's festivities were essentially a repeat of last year's.

Though this years drive and distribution is over, you can make a note on your calendar that next year will be the 8th year for this drive. Toys and financial contributions can be dropped off at Sosua Business Services on or about December 10, 2004.

Another program is Just Imagine. This fall it helped 43 childen get ready for school who attend the Bella Vista school. The school is free, but children cann't attend if they don't have uniforms and birth certificates. Just Imagine's goal is to insure that every child in the neighborhood has what is needed. An average of US$80 was spent on each of the 43 children, purchasing the books, uniforms, shoes, etc., that the family couldn't afford.

Anyone desiring to make a financial contribution to Just Imagine can do so at Sosua Business Services.

The school supplies we are collecting will also go to the Bella Vista school. The school lacks books, maps, paper, paints, etc., etc., all those supplies and materials we take for granted.

Any and all contributions to any and all of these programs will be greatly appreciated. You don't have to bring school supplies and toys in your already full luggage; cash contributions are very welcome and can assist in all of the programs.

Again, the collection point for all of these programs is the Sosua Business Services. Finding Sosua Business Services: Very easy. On Calle Pedro Clisante, the main street of Sosua, directly across the street from the Britannia Pub. It is in the ground floor of a white, 2-story building. The door opens onto the sidewalk (though is a bit recessed). Sosua Business Services is painted in large letters on the window, and also on a sign mounted above the door. The two secretaries speak English, as does Angie Wolff, the owner.

These projects are not related to Sosua Business Services, although the pesonnel that work there are involved as individals. For convenience, Sosua Business Services is being used as the collection point.

Last edited: