It’s a fence, not a wall, says Migration director

Gadfly

Jul 7, 2016
lo siento hijo, el cambio viene de adentro hacia afuera o el cambio solo viene en Cristo :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Share that at every opportunity and you truly do the Lords work.

There was a Haitian beggar at the intersection outside our building, he was a nice boy, rougly 8 years old. I made a point of never giving him any money but I always told him the importance of studying and being a better person through Christ. I think about him often.
Give alms to the poor

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Agreed. I’ve been to la frontera, and I’ve been to Haiti several times. You didn’t ask how many actually know Haitians in the DR on a day to day basis, and I don’t mean buying fruit from them at a stoplight.

I did not ask how many actually know Haitians because I don't believe that perspective holds much water, especially within this particular webforum, where it seems not one active posting member has EVER met a dishonest Haitian in their entire lives.
Those that have actually visited "la frontera", or for whatever reason that other nation (such as yourself), would have more to offer as to the substance of the discussion at hand.
Build the Wall. Build it High. Build it Strong. Build it Fast.

• Haha
Reactions: NanSanPedro

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
I did not ask how many actually know Haitians because I don't believe that perspective holds much water, especially within this particular webforum, where it seems not one active posting member has EVER met a dishonest Haitian in their entire lives.

Well, I am a regular poster and I must admit that I have in fact encountered dishonest Haitians and dishonest Dominicans.

The thief who entered my apartment in the middle of the night to steal cash, cell phones and my watch was dishonest.

The Dominican who tried to grab a chain from my neck was dishonest.

The Haitian to whom I gave entrance tickets, for a group of 40 people, to a free dental clinic (to obtain dental work costing thousands of pesos) who chose to sell them instead of using them was dishonest.

Equally dishonest were the Dominicanas who, given responsibility for distribution of entrance tickets, chose to sell them instead giving them to the poor and needy in their communities.

I doubt that there is a gene for dishonesty that is found only among people of one particular country.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Those that have actually visited "la frontera", or for whatever reason that other nation (such as yourself), would have more to offer as to the substance of the discussion at hand.

I have met many a dishonest Haitian. But I've also met many a dishonest American, Mexican, and Canadian too.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Thank you for the above honesty in your replies. I was solely pointing out the obvious in that this web forum community is loaded with Haiti supporters, advocates, champions, defenders and apologists. Much more so than it seems to exist in their own nation.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
I've always been enthralled by the great zeal possessed among non-Haitian Haiti supporters.
It is a shame that this great energy and enthusiasm is not possessed by the Haitian populace themselves, especially those that choose to emigrate to other lands and make it big for themselves.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Well, I am a regular poster and I must admit that I have in fact encountered dishonest Haitians and dishonest Dominicans.

The thief who entered my apartment in the middle of the night to steal cash, cell phones and my watch was dishonest.

The Dominican who tried to grab a chain from my neck was dishonest.

The Haitian to whom I gave entrance tickets, for a group of 40 people, to a free dental clinic (to obtain dental work costing thousands of pesos) who chose to sell them instead of using them was dishonest.

Equally dishonest were the Dominicanas who, given responsibility for distribution of entrance tickets, chose to sell them instead giving them to the poor and needy in their communities.

I doubt that there is a gene for dishonesty that is found only among people of one particular country.
That's why you don't give out free tickets. Tell them to show up first-come, first-serve and there's nothing to sell.

PCMike

Aug 30, 2008
You are mistaken. I rather Haiti go rot in hell. If I was president, I rather protect DR country and yes I am resident in DR, I ve residency and my wife/daughter lives there and I own condo down there too so I have the right to say.

Nothingless, I will say it again. Built a wall and block Haiti, forever.

End of story.
I wonder what people built your condo? End of story.

Reactions: Juan Bosch

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Thank you for the above honesty in your replies. I was solely pointing out the obvious in that this web forum community is loaded with Haiti supporters, advocates, champions, defenders and apologists. Much more so than it seems to exist in their own nation.
Keep in mind that in every forum lurkers are much more than active members. This thread in particular as of right now has 49 posts and over 1,000 views. Guess who makes up most of those views? I'm willing to bet that prominent posters here are probably no more than 10 individuals and that might be too much.

Among active members and in a topic like this, naturally those that oppose it will be more active and loud about it than those that don't. More of the last ones may avoid posting anything simply to avoid confrontation or being mocked or both, or simply realizing that whether a wall (or fence, the Israeli government officially calls its border wall a fence too, it makes it sound nicer not withstanding that it has actual fences in certain areas) is built or not depends 0% on what is said by anyone in a forum that's not even in the language of the country.

Last edited:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Most of the buildings and roads were built before Dominican construction workers were pushed out by Haitian construction workers. I guess some DR1ers became expats well after the 2000's. Heck, in the 1980's and 1990's there were hardly any Haitians in Dominican streets, city or campo. Imagine that! Well, some people don't need to imagine it, they saw it.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Depends on the age of the condo and the construction company. Currently where I have my country property there are four houses being built by three different builders. One house has 8 workers, all Dominicans. On the other houses there only appears to be a couple of Haitians with the rest Dominicans. Not all construction is done by Haitians.

Reactions: Caonabo

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
The reality is that whether you call it a wall, a fence, or a border barrier, it is imperative that the project begin immediately, as it is decades past due.
It is needed because the RD has no interest in becoming Haiti.
Now yes, this may be harsh for some to digest, but the reality is that there are reasons you choose to visit or reside within the RD....and not Haiti.

-Build the Wall. Build it High. Build it Strong. Build it Fast.

Reactions: chrisrose97

La Profe_1

Oct 15, 2003
That's why you don't give out free tickets. Tell them to show up first-come, first-serve and there's nothing to sell.

We tried the "first come' first served" route for the original clinic. The Salud Pública official who was with us ended up getting the Fuerza Aerea to come in for crowd control!

Last edited:

chrisrose97

May 2, 2010
"It's a fence, not a wall" Here we go again with being politically correct. Without a wall we have no country. Its funny how the people who are against building a wall usually live in a house with huge walls! He should Build a real Wall along the border towns and let natural barriers do the rest and patrol those areas. And also jail time and hefty fines for those corrupt Dominicans who let people through as a business or otherwise. Remember, its not just Haitians that can cross the border. Many other people with nefarious reasons can cross too. The Haitians and Venezuelans taking work and other resources from Dominicans. I sympathize with the plight of those people but.... This is the Dominican Republic not the Red Cross. In DR, Dominicans should be first.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
We tried the "first come' first served" route for the original clinic. The Salud Pública official who was with us ended up getting the Fuerza Aerea to come in for crowd control!
A great indication of how many people really need these services. I'm sure the military guys did a good job of controlling people entering inside.

La Profe_1

Oct 15, 2003
A great indication of how many people really need these services. I'm sure the military guys did a good job of controlling people entering inside.

The military was great. In four days, the dentists were able to treat between 500 and 700 people during each of 16 clinics. Entrance was as orderly as possible given the number of prospective patients. Services provided included prophylaxis, fillings, extractions, root canals, other oral surgeries and even adjustments to bridges. They were given medications as appropriate and often seen for follow-up before the end of the four days.

There several stories, some happy but others sad, that I could tell about the patients who were treated.

Reactions: JD Jones

Son of a sailor

Sep 30, 2019
there's nothing new under the sun, same problems around the whole world, walls and fences are a simple answer to a complex problem.
Strong labor laws with teeth will build a higher wall.
as soon as it costs more to have a Haitian do a job than it would cost to have a Dominican perform the duties, the border wall will be sky high, the incentive to hire a Haitian will be gone, and that in turn takes away the reason to come to the DR to seek employment.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
there's nothing new under the sun, same problems around the whole world, walls and fences are a simple answer to a complex problem.
Strong labor laws with teeth will build a higher wall.
as soon as it costs more to have a Haitian do a job than it would cost to have a Dominican perform the duties, the border wall will be sky high, the incentive to hire a Haitian will be gone, and that in turn takes away the reason to come to the DR to seek employment.

Are you saying they don't have that now? I honestly don't know but would be surprised if they don't. I know I was told you need a cédula to work here. So if Haitians are working without a cédula, then they are being hired and are working illegally.

Reactions: chrisrose97

Son of a sailor

Sep 30, 2019
Are you saying they don't have that now? I honestly don't know but would be surprised if they don't. I know I was told you need a cédula to work here. So if Haitians are working without a cédula, then they are being hired and are working illegally.
the proper laws might be in place, but missing the teeth, that's usually the problem.
it needs to hurt financially.