It’s a fence, not a wall, says Migration director

Juan Bosch

Dec 8, 2015
Most of the buildings and roads were built before Dominican construction workers were pushed out by Haitian construction workers. I guess some DR1ers became expats well after the 2000's. Heck, in the 1980's and 1990's there were hardly any Haitians in Dominican streets, city or campo. Imagine that! Well, some people don't need to imagine it, they saw it.
The pushing out came from whomever was the owner of the property...the one's with the $...they were the folks who did the hiring at lower rates or as you say the pushers...most likely lots of Dominicans among them...;)

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
The pushing out came from whomever was the owner of the property...the one's with the $...they were the folks who did the hiring at lower rates or as you say the pushers...most likely lots of Dominicans among them...;)
Nope, it came from the same government that is now attempting to increase migration security by being relaxed about it for many years. Peoplewill always do what the government allows them, including self-destruction. Anyone that doubts it all they have to do is speak with Haitians why Haiti is the way it is. That's why the critics of a government increasing migration security are not the same as critics of a government that is very relaxed about migration.

This reminds me of one time when Albizu (head of the Central Bank) complained that merchants are greedy for objecting to effectively increase the well being of the people. But I don't see what is there to complain about when that's what merchants do. They always put their pockets first and foremost. It's the government's job to set the rules regardless what anyone thinks and regardless if merchants begin to complain. What are they going to do? Close shop and stop making money? For most its a big yeah right. They will simply adapt to the new reality set by the government like merchants have done since ever, everywhere in the world.

Last edited:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
There are 16 years of PLD corruption and non enforcement of laws to over come in the DR.

Some laws might be enforced that never were before. Time will tell.