It’s about time: Government orders all motorcycles to be registered

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Local media is reporting that the National Institute of Transit and Land Transportation (Intrant) is giving motorcyclists until 20 October 2021 to get their papers in order. The measure covers all users of motorcycles from private use to motoconcho (motorcycle taxis), deliveries and couriers.

The government agency has allowed motorists to pay a single RD$625 fee and bring “any” papers they have on the motorcycle and their ID (cedula) or residence permit. The government hopes to register hundreds of thousands of motorcycles that are in circulation. Hundreds of unregistered motorcyclists are involved in traffic accidents, theft and other crimes.

Rafael Arias says that those who do not get their papers in order, through this or the regular procedures, will face the penalties in Traffic Law 63-17.

Interior and Police Minister Jesús (Chú) Vásquez said during the press conference called to announce the extension of the motorcycle registration period that in his first days in...

Continue reading...

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
What is the process to register a moto and where does one have to go?
The article says that they have set up eight centres in Santo Domingo to carry out the process. What happens elsewhere is unclear, so I doubt anyone will be doing this in other places.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Since this whole scheme was started, I have seen just two people with the bike's number printed on their helmet as required by this law. I just can't imagine a fraction of the thousands of motos in the country being registered within a month or even those in Santo Domingo, for that matter.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Since this whole scheme was started, I have seen just two people with the bike's number printed on their helmet as required by this law. I just can't imagine a fraction of the thousands of motos in the country being registered within a month or even those in Santo Domingo, for that matter.

It depends on enforcement. If they confiscate bikes they will get compliance.

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
whats the chances of this being enforced ?
wear a helmet .
stop at red lights
how many other examples are needed

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
whats the chances of this being enforced ?
wear a helmet .
stop at red lights
how many other examples are needed
Register?.....I wonder if thats a promise or just another whim that cant be enforced...sounds like a plan for the police to enhance their monthly pay.........

Reactions: drstock

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Imagine the huge reduction in crime if all motos had to be properly plated, with lights etc and it was enforced! Such a simple thing.

Reactions: chico bill

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
This is a must. But not just registered they need to have working lights front and back and a stoplight.
And crush any motorcycle with a strobe headlight no ticket, no chance to fix it - seriously what do they think that accomplishes except blinding oncoming drivers.
They outlawed stadium lights on cars

Reactions: drstock