It’s official: Delta is here

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Delta-Covid-variant-Pixabay-1024x724.jpg

In recent weeks, small outbreaks of Covid-19 have been occurring in provinces where the disease had dropped significantly. Provinces where 1 or 2 cases had been reported per day are now reporting 20 cases. Now the Ministry of Public Health gives the explanation. The Delta variant has been here at least since July 2021.

The Ministry of Public Health confirmed on 16 September 2021 that the Delta variant of Covid-19 is circulating in the Dominican Republic. The government sent samples to Fiocruz laboratory in Brazil that confirmed the variant. The disease is known to have affected five persons and of these four persons had not been vaccinated, Public Health Minister Daniel Rivera said on 16 September 2021. He urged people to complete their vaccinations.

Delta is the most contagious variant, with symptoms often more similar to influenza and more likely to affect young...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Please stay on topic. This is not a thread about the value of vaccines or about vaccine mandates.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I hear another curfew coming
Where did you hear that? Because of Delta?
Please post a link if there is a story about any proposed new curfew online.
I thought all curfews are lifted at 70% vax rate.

Liberator

Luck is for the unprepared
Jan 23, 2021
Europe
Where did you hear that? Because of Delta?
Please post a link if there is a story about any proposed new curfew online.
I thought all curfews are lifted at 70% vax rate.
It's more figuratively speaking.... It could be reason to impose new restrictive measures if this is causing an increase in infections......

Some information from my home country:

Here in the Netherlands we are almost back to 'normal', restaurants and nightclubs still have restrictions and there is a slight 'vaccination compulsion' emerging from the government. In addition, virologists express their concern about the approaching (cold) autumn and winter in which an increase in the number of infections is seen.
Reversing, call it 'liberties', can then be restricted again.

Here the government says that at 70% herd immunity would have been achieved. We are now well above 80%, but there is absolutely no question of group immunity.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
It's more figuratively speaking.... It could be reason to impose new restrictive measures if this is causing an increase in infections......

Some information from my home country:

Here in the Netherlands we are almost back to 'normal', restaurants and nightclubs still have restrictions and there is a slight 'vaccination compulsion' emerging from the government. In addition, virologists express their concern about the approaching (cold) autumn and winter in which an increase in the number of infections is seen.
Reversing, call it 'liberties', can then be restricted again.

Here the government says that at 70% herd immunity would have been achieved. We are now well above 80%, but there is absolutely no question of group immunity.
I am a big fan of college football (the kind of football that's interesting ) .

And by the looks of stadiums across the US with 70,000 unmasked screaming fans you would never know Covid existed.

So at least certain age groups don't seem concerned, vulnerable (or have immunity) even where Delta is present.
I think most people here in DR have lost the attention span to wear masks and won't accept new orders to stop living a normal life.

And with in-person school now open things feel like we are getting back to the way it was - pre-Wuhan flu.

And supposedly Canada will reopen flights to POP next month?

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I am sure more variants will come in the year ahead, but seeing protests springing up worldwide mean politicians best tread lightly on any future lockdown ideas.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

La Profe_1

Oct 15, 2003
What part of "This thread is about the arrival of the Delta variant in the DR" do you not understand?

Discussion of whether or not vaccines are helpful, and how helpful, along with percentages of population vaccinated is off topic in this thread.

No more about vaccines in this particular discussion.

Last edited:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Eventually, all variants of Covid will make it to the DR. There is no way around this. Like everything else, if a place has people, then it also has Covid.

Reactions: Ecoman1949

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
What part of "This thread is about the arrival of the Mu variant in the DR" do you not understand?

Discussion of whether or not vaccines are helpful, and how helpful, along with percentages of population vaccinated is off topic in this thread.

No more about vaccines in this particular discussion.
The title says "Delta" not Mu.
Are you conflating the two?
Because Mu, so far, is mostly in Colombia and Ecuador.
Have not heard of it being sequenced in DR.

La Profe_1

Oct 15, 2003
The title says "Delta" not Mu.
Are you conflating the two?
Because Mu, so far, is mostly in Colombia and Ecuador.
Have not heard of it being sequenced in DR.
Yes I am, thank you.

I was reading about the Mu and that came to the forefront of my mind while I was typing. It has been fixed.