It’s official: Pfizer booster vaccination starts 1 July 2021

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
There are many ongoing studies that show a stronger immune response with mixed doses; one non mRNA and 1 mRNA rather than 2 doses of AZ etc.
Yes, I agree about mixing, but I was talking about the Pfizer booster being given on to of 2 Sinovac. It seems to me, but no medical knowledge, that should produce more antebodies than one and one

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Eligible people -- seniors or persons with health risks -- can get the Pfizer vaccine at the centers where the vaccine has been applied to children. That is the larger vaccination centers. A senior who has hypertension, for example, can get the vaccine. You do not have to present evidence of the health risk.

At those centers there is a Sinovac general line, and a Pfizer line. You need to explain you are going for the third dose with Pfizer and present your previous vaccination card.

Or, I understand if you have not been vaccinated, you can get the two Pfizer vaccines.

For vaccination centers near you, check out the vacunaterd website. https://centros.vacunate.gob.do/

There is little demand for the booster and as others have written, the Pfizer vaccine lines are minimal so far.

The local argument is that there have been deaths here of persons who had received the two Sinovac doses. The booster is given so people can develop sufficient immunity for the new variants, especially the Delta variant.

I got my vaccine mid morning on Friday. The arm where I was injected did hurt, but the pain when I moved the arm upwards is gradually going away. My husband felt the jab in his arm only when he moved his arm. Otherwise, neither of us have felt anything much. After my sister the geriatrician at UT Southwestern in Dallas recommended the booster, we went ahead understanding the risks of the vaccine were less than the risk of falling ill with Covid. The vaccination was around the corner from where we live (Multicentro La Sirena Churchill, Santo Domingo). As said above, took about half an hour to get vaccinated.

Last edited:
Reactions: dalethefarmer

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Centro Medico Punta Cana (Friusa area). Tel 809 552-1506

I understand the vaccination center at the Punta Cana International Airport is also open.

Reactions: SKY

OwnRules

Dec 26, 2002
twitter.com
There is inherent risk in the injection, by defininition, because of the lack of sampling beyond anecdotal reports. However, we have made the decision that she should get it ASAP.

If you don't mind my asking, why? Although the Sinovac jab's efficacy is somewhat dubious, ranging from ~50% in Brazil to ~80% in Indonesia, I have yet to find definitive reporting on the mortality rate of people that have taken the double dose - OTOH, there are quite a few studies indicating that it does, in fact, reduce the likelihood of ending-up in intensive care by a significant margin, which I think is the best all current vaccines can do against the new variants. Case in point, about 50% of all those infected with the Delta variant in Israel, had already been fully immunized with the Pfizer vaccine.

Knowing as much, and despite being part of the at-risk segment due to my age, I see no reason to subject myself to an additional jab, which you yourself recognize adds an "inherent risk" to the ones that may already be present long-term with the currently approved emergency protocols. On top of that, the mortality rates in the Dom Rep are very low - 100th - as compared with most other countries in the area, and even those in many/most highly industrialized nations. Sure, the fact that the DR has a very young population has a lot to do with that - but even if you don't take that number at face value because a certain percentage of under-reporting that happens in all countries, it's safe to say that we're not being ravaged by the pandemic as many other countries are. So despite the known deficiencies of the Chinese jab, I am more than a bit skeptical at the urgency with which this unproven chemical cocktail is being pushed - I'd also like to know if the government is buying the new Pfizer/AstraZeneca stock directly, or, as I suspect, through intermediaries with rich commissions to be had for all involved. Certainly fits the pattern of doing official business on the island, n'est ce pas? And pardon my French.

At the end of the day, I understand that this is a highly personal decision, as we all have different needs and circumstances - but as much as I love science, I have no desire to offer myself as a guinea-pig in its quest for knowledge. In short, I'll wait till further data is in. Or better yet, a second iteration of the current vaccines which will obviously be much improved. Meantime, in Sinovac I chose to trust.

Best of luck to you and your spouse, no matter what you chose to do.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Sinovac, which should be called Coronovac, simply is not as effective. And less so in variants.

Santo Domingo, DR

Few but sure, the first citizens, over 70 years of age, with comorbidities and members of the health personnel, began to arrive as of this Thursday at the different covid-19 vaccination centers to apply a third dose.

This, after the government announced last Wednesday that the inoculation would be extended to a third jab, it would be optional and that the process would begin “immediately” to face the threat of the new variants of the virus.

Antibody deficiency, boosting immunity, and setting an example are some of the reasons that motivated attendees to put up their arms and roll up their sleeves once again to be vaccinated.
Manuela, for example, recently completed two months since she was given the Sinovac vaccine and after monitoring her antibodies, she noticed that she did not have any.

“What happens is that we had the count done and neither of us have any. It was as if we did absolutely nothing,” she said while waiting for her turn at the vaccination center at the Olympic Center. Manuela noted that after being vaccinated for the third time, she would go to repeat the analysis.

On his side, Dr. Erwin Garcia emphasized that “common sense” led him to be inoculated for the third time.

“If we got the first two in a state of emergency and without having finished the studies and after millions of doses given we know that we are still not one hundred percent protected, why not get a third one that millions have already received to improve our immunity status… that is called common sense,” said the doctor.

By 10:00 in the morning, according to Dr. Moises Figuereo, the person in charge of the day’s activities, who works daily in the karate pavilion of the Olympic Center, ten people had already been immunized, four of whom were from the health sector.

UNPHU
At the Pedro Henríquez Ureña National University (UNPHU), as of 11:00 am 17 people had received the third dose. Norka Diaz was immunized to “increase protection” for her delicate health situation due to her diabetes and cancer surgery.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Because windeguy reported getting the booster at Jumbo POP, I went this morning and was told maybe next week because they have not started receiving the vaccine. Apparently there is a misunderstanding about the booster shot, because they have Pfizer. It may be they think the vaccine is different version.

But they were adamant. No booster until maybe next week. They said it starts in Santo Domingo, then to Santiago, then to Puerto Plata.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Because windeguy reported getting the booster at Jumbo POP, I went this morning and was told maybe next week because they have not started receiving the vaccine. Apparently there is a misunderstanding about the booster shot, because they have Pfizer. It may be they think the vaccine is different version.

But they were adamant. No booster until maybe next week. They said it starts in Santo Domingo, then to Santiago, then to Puerto Plata.
They clearly have a misunderstanding at Jumbo in POP when it comes to the "booster" version. Sorry to hear that.

Linda Stapleton

Jun 3, 2003
I think a number of people who have had two shots of the Sinovac have gone to Jumbo to get Pfizer and have either not been asked, or have not disclosed, that they are there for a booster, rather than a first shot of anything. The Canadian government's requirements to avoid quarantine hotels has prompted a lot of extra vaccinations.

Reactions: drstock

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
3rd time trying to get Pfizer booster in Sosua. Nope!
1st time they said no, come back Sat. at 7am. Everyone can get the booster.
Sat. 7am told come back at 10am, evertone can get the booster.
10am. No one there at all except guard. Comeback Monday at 10am, everyone can get booster.
10am, sent worker. They are giving shots....... for 1st and 2nd jabs only. No boosters.

Linda Stapleton

Jun 3, 2003
3rd time trying to get Pfizer booster in Sosua. Nope!
1st time they said no, come back Sat. at 7am. Everyone can get the booster.
Sat. 7am told come back at 10am, evertone can get the booster.
10am. No one there at all except guard. Comeback Monday at 10am, everyone can get booster.
10am, sent worker. They are giving shots....... for 1st and 2nd jabs only. No boosters.
Where is that in Sosua, at the ayuntamiento?

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I think a number of people who have had two shots of the Sinovac have gone to Jumbo to get Pfizer and have either not been asked, or have not disclosed, that they are there for a booster, rather than a first shot of anything. The Canadian government's requirements to avoid quarantine hotels has prompted a lot of extra vaccinations.
Yes, my mistake was to ask for the booster. They were giving Pfizer

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Is there any place but Jumbo in POP giving Pfizer?

I made so much fuss I think I would be recognized if I went there for the first shot of Pfizer