It’s official: Pfizer booster vaccination starts 1 July 2021

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Pfizer-Vaccine-Wikimedia-Commons-1024x682.jpg

As of 1 July, a Pfizer Covid-19 booster dose begins to be applied in select vaccination centers around the country. Those vaccinated with Sinovac and AstraZeneca vaccines in the Dominican Republic are eligible for the third free jab. Getting the booster shot is voluntary.

President Luis Abinader, Health Cabinet coordinator, Vice President Raquel Peña and Public Health Minister Daniel Rivera made the announcement during a press conference at the Presidential Palace on 30 June 2021. Vice President Peña had previously announced the government would be making the Pfizer vaccine available to boost the immunity of those who had received the Sinovac vaccine.

The Abinader administration Health Cabinet met with the Dominican Medical Association and medical societies to explain the arguments for the controversial decision. Afterwards, the medical community signed a joint...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Justice4All

Aug 31, 2012
Is the Pfizer booster available for an older foreigner with Permanent Dominican Residency who received Pfizer shots in the US in January and February?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Is the Pfizer booster available for an older foreigner with Permanent Dominican Residency who received Pfizer shots in the US in January and February?
I don't see why not.

I suspect you would be entered into the DR system as getting the first shot of two for Pfizer, but you would have to go there and ask them.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
josh2203. You are not wrong, iindeed Pfizer is mRNA and Sinovac is a deactivated virus traditional vaccine.

Does it work if they are mixed? It seems to, but that is a subject of MUCH debate.

Keep in mind Sinovac's two doses are not the best way to be vaccinated.

Pfizer has far more efficacy with only one dose than Sinovac might have with two doses.

I expect the DR newspapers do have discussion, but certainly anything you want to know that they care to mention is available using your search engine of choice.

bonao99

Jun 11, 2005
I hope I'm wrong, but isn't Pfizer an mRNA vaccine and Sinovac the other type, a more traditional? So if two vaccine types are mixed between the 3 shots, does that work?

The vaccine types are discussed nowhere in the DR newspapers, as far as can tell?
Europe is combining Astra Zeneca with Moderna which are diff. technology

Reactions: windeguy

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
My thought is there is risk of a reaction after I get the booster. I got no reaction from the 2 Sinovac, but I know people in the US who got a reaction from Pfizer, especially after the second dose. But I feel the need to try to increase my protection, there is increasing evidence that 2 doses of Sinovac may not do much to save u from serious illness and even death

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Europe is combining Astra Zeneca with Moderna which are diff. technology
As I understand it, Europe is combining by giving those who got Astra Zeneca for the first shot and Moderna for the second.

I have a feeling but no medical support that it might be better to get the full dose of one , then after a wait get at least a booster of another

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Why do you keep saying controversial decision. The only thing I have seen mentioned that seems to make it controversial was the country being urged to complete the first round before starting to give boosters.

That makes no sense. The country has enough vaccine for everyone plus give boosters. It does not plan to divert vaccine from giving everyone two doses of something so as to give boosters to those already having received 2 doses of Sinovac. The group pressing to delay boosters offers no medical reason, I think they just don't want the Dominican Republic to be used as an example by their own citizens.

If the Dominican Republic is to remain in the front rank of tourist destinations it must keep the virus numbers as low as possible. And with evidence coming in that Sinovac can't be depended on to do that, then it has not choice, in my opinion, but to try to increase the protection, especially with variants now circulating.

My only regret is that it took so long for Pfizer to start sending the vaccine the country had ordered.

scotia

Mar 18, 2004
My thought is there is risk of a reaction after I get the booster. I got no reaction from the 2 Sinovac, but I know people in the US who got a reaction from Pfizer, especially after the second dose. But I feel the need to try to increase my protection, there is increasing evidence that 2 doses of Sinovac may not do much to save u from serious illness and even death
Everyone reacts differently, I had AstraZeneca first shot and Moderna for my second with virtually no reaction besides being a little more tired than usual for a day or two and a sore upper arm with the Moderna.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Why do you keep saying controversial decision. The only thing I have seen mentioned that seems to make it controversial was the country being urged to complete the first round before starting to give boosters.

That makes no sense. The country has enough vaccine for everyone plus give boosters. It does not plan to divert vaccine from giving everyone two doses of something so as to give boosters to those already having received 2 doses of Sinovac. The group pressing to delay boosters offers no medical reason, I think they just don't want the Dominican Republic to be used as an example by their own citizens.

If the Dominican Republic is to remain in the front rank of tourist destinations it must keep the virus numbers as low as possible. And with evidence coming in that Sinovac can't be depended on to do that, then it has not choice, in my opinion, but to try to increase the protection, especially with variants now circulating.

My only regret is that it took so long for Pfizer to start sending the vaccine the country had ordered.
It is not just that Sinovac does not work as well as Pfizer, it is also that more people need to be vaccinated with Sinovac (guessing 80 to 85%) than with Pfizer (70%) to reach herd immunity, at lot more for Sinovac because of the great differences in efficacy.

It was and always will be the case that the better vaccines will first go to first world countries and developing nations will be behind. Now that everyone in the USA that wants to be vaccinated has been, the better vaccines are now available to the DR.

Now we have the issue that just about everyone that wanted a vaccine at all already got Sinovac. There is virtually no real issue giving people Pfizer Booster shots because of this important point. As of July 1, this is also a moot point. The president wanted to allow booster shots and the medical people are going along with it after some push back.

Now what will the government do about the vaccine hesitancy of the remaining population? Will they really implement restrictions on movements of the non-vaccinated? Time will tell. Other countries certainly are doing that. There is no way the DR is on a path to reach herd immunity at this point in time. So, what's next?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
What well could be next is you want to go to an official Government office to renew your passport, drivers license, etc. bring your vaccination card or be denied entrance. Could well happen and no legal recourse to that..........................

scotia

Mar 18, 2004
As I understand it, Europe is combining by giving those who got Astra Zeneca for the first shot and Moderna for the second.

I have a feeling but no medical support that it might be better to get the full dose of one , then after a wait get at least a booster of anotherTthere are many ongoing studies that are showing mixing non mRNA (1st shot) with mRNA 2nd shot (Moderna / Pfizer) provide
There are many ongoing studies that show a stronger immune response with mixed doses; one non mRNA and 1 mRNA rather than 2 doses of AZ etc.

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Got the Pfizer booster shot at the La Sirena Multicentro Churchill (5th floor parking). The whole procedure took about half an hour, including the 15 minute break. My husband and I are 60+ and we were asked if we had comorbidities and risk factors.

Then renewed by driver's license on the same floor in about 20 minutes!

Two little happy events made made me feel good about living in the Dominican Republic!

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
retired English teacher (30 years)
(1) Conspicuous omission of locations and schedules in national press. I have read the translations and the originals. There is zero indication as to how one should proceed. It's possible that this information has not yet been made public. My wife, Dominicana, is eligible for the Pfizer booster given that she has had two Sinovac injections, one month has past, and she has a co-morbidity.
(2) None of the scientific literature that I have read indicates any RTC (Random Controlled Trial) to date that would support mixing vaccines of different types or the same type. There is inherent risk in the injection, by defininition, because of the lack of sampling beyond anecdotal reports. However, we have made the decision that she should get it ASAP.

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
retired English teacher (30 years)
Got the Pfizer booster shot at the La Sirena Multicentro Churchill (5th floor parking). The whole procedure took about half an hour, including the 15 minute break. My husband and I are 60+ and we were asked if we had comorbidities and risk factors.

Then renewed by driver's license on the same floor in about 20 minutes!

Two little happy events made made me feel good about living in the Dominican Republic!
Ha! I should have read this before I posted! Do you know anything about the hours? Are you suggesting that the vaccinations are being given on the 5th floor parking?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
(1) Conspicuous omission of locations and schedules in national press. I have read the translations and the originals. There is zero indication as to how one should proceed. It's possible that this information has not yet been made public. My wife, Dominicana, is eligible for the Pfizer booster given that she has had two Sinovac injections, one month has past, and she has a co-morbidity.
(2) None of the scientific literature that I have read indicates any RTC (Random Controlled Trial) to date that would support mixing vaccines of different types or the same type. There is inherent risk in the injection, by defininition, because of the lack of sampling beyond anecdotal reports. However, we have made the decision that she should get it ASAP.
What I have found out is showing up is the main thing that needs to be done. JUMBO seems to be one location in various cities to show up. That is what we did and got the Pfizer shot.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
What I have found out is showing up is the main thing that needs to be done. JUMBO seems to be one location in various cities to show up. That is what we did and got the Pfizer shot.
in what city did u get the booster at Jumbo?