It is with Deep Regret - Lambada has passed away.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
My condolences to Grahame, and we will miss Ginnie in Costambar every Tuesday.
WHAT HAPPENED?
No person has asked, ok I am blunt, but it is on everyones mind.
It is a total shock to us all.
I could (& probably should) respond with equal bluntness button66 - but for now let me just refer you to my earlier post (only about 5 or 6 in front of this one) for all the details I am prepared to offer at this time. If that does not suffice then you will just have to wait until I am prepared to pass on more.

By the way, Ginnie had changed to fortnightly visits to Costambar many months ago & more recently to just once a month.

I too am in shock so can we leave it at that? ~ Grahame.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I want to add that I saw the post "Ginnie" and it mentioned funeral services, so, since I had been "talking" to Ginnie all last week, I dismissed it as some other Ginnie. I even saw the OP of this thread, but thought it was one of those "I won't be around here" posts and did not see the author or the time posted.

I received a note from a dear friend in Texas, checked, and got the terrible news. Thinking I was one of the earliest to see this I posted (Thanks mods for putting it here).

Let me say that Ginnie helped thousands and thousands of people and, as my friends in Texas said, "she changed our lives". Today I got a note from a person who just last week asked Ginnie, at my insistance, about life and costs in POP. Ginnie was kind enough to cc me. They young woman desisted from her move (having gainful employment, let me add) and is now happy at home. These are just two of the hundreds of tiny items that will surface as people remember Ginnie. (I remember her pat?, but I like to eat!!) And I also remember how thorough she was on the trail of a story or following up on something she heard...a truly powerful intellect.

I sit here and sigh, with a hollow in the pit of my stomach. All I can think of is I am sure she passed away in the arms of her love. God bless.

HB

Reactions: Bronxboy

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
of all the people in the world...
i thought ginnie was going to live forever with her humour, vitality and bright mind. this is a huge loss for all dr1 community...
grahame, our condolences and best wishes for you and family.

buttons66

Oct 3, 2006
Please forgive me

Grahame, I am sorry if I sounded blunt, it is just a shock to me as it is to everyone else.
I used to talk to Ginnie when she visited R & B bakery in Costambar, and also spoke to you both at the British Ambassadors party, just before Sun Village closed.

I am truly sorry for your loss.

Reactions: Bronxboy
May 24, 2009
www.swellsurfcamp.com
Apart from the initial sadness and shock of reading about her passing, going on to read so many contributions of everyone's personal memory or experience of this lovely Lady is heartrending. For each of us (strangers) in her life, she gave unselfishly of her time - what she must have given to those whom she loved, that loss will be hard to recover and our thoughts are completely with those who will need the greatest strength. Grahame, it became so clear that you were 'The Team' and we feel immensely sad for your loss. As people have said many times in these last hours, we will be there to help in a practical way if you need us.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
What a shock; impossible to believe. I only knew her through the message board, but will miss her greatly.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
I am at loss for words. I am not very good at these things. It'll take some time to process it.

Ginnie and Grahame were some of the most gracious, polite, loving people we've had the pleasure to meet. I have rarely met somebody with Ginnie's wit, sensibility and no-nonsense attitude towards this country and its people. She afforded us Dominican respect without ever patronizing us.

I am so sorry that she's gone, and it'll take me some time to believe it completely. Go in peace, Ginnie. You will be missed and remembered.

And Grahame, if you ever feel like getting away for a while, don't forget you have a duffer friend and his wife in this corner. Our doors are open to you, and I say this with the utmost sincerity. Just say the word.

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
This is sad and shockjng news. My deepest condolences to Grahame and all her family and friends.

tomas2

Nov 29, 2005
Wow. Shocking. I don't know what to say.

I only knew Ginnie through DR1 and a few e-mails we exchanged the last couple of years, but she had this way about her that I am sure I was only one of literally 1000's of people that considered her a friend. Her passing is a huge loss to DR1, and the Dominican Republic. Her loss to Grahame must be off the charts.

Grahame, I am so sorry. Please post any memorial details, including instructions for those of us that are not physically there so we can show our appreciation for the footprint she has left in her adopted home.

yb1

Oct 6, 2008
I never met Ginny in person but was always interested in her point of view on DR1's forums.

I'll always remember her advice given in her article "walk in their shoes"

"I will be the first to admit that there are frustrations in handling staff in the Dominican Republic. Not there 'may be' - there are - sooner or later new residents will encounter the issue. As always, the secret is in how you handle it. Charm, poise and understanding go a long way. Confrontational anger will get you absolutely nada. If you have excess anger to burn off divert it to a long swim in the warm sea under a beautiful blue sky or a cycle ride into the foothills of the mountains or a gallop on horseback along a deserted beach.
Or walk a mile in the other guy's shoes............hobnail boots and all."

That advice has helped me in so many different situations since I moved back to the DR - Thank you Ginny. R.I.P.
My heartfelt condolences to Grahame.

BabyBlu

Jan 20, 2004
Wow

Thank You Lambada for all the good reading over the years...you will be missed!!

My prayers and condolences to all of Lambadas family and friends, I'm so sorry for your loss.

maryanne

Mar 16, 2003
I can't believe Ginnie is gone....wow! I'm at a loss for words! Grahame, you will both be in my prayers and deepest condolences. I'm so sorry for your loss....for everyone's loss.

Hugs,
Maryanne

drbcabarete

Oct 21, 2005
drbcabarete

Grahame: I wrote an e mail yesterday but not sure it went through, so unaccustomed to writing here as you both have noted over the years, I am doing so: I am so saddened by Ginnie's passing. You both were such a source of support and kindness during my early years here and even more so during the first two years prior to my full time move. Thank you and Ginnie for also showing such grace to my Mother during her visit here and even for sending her a most welcome note in the last few weeks. She sends her condolences along from California. There is not much that can be said during a time like this but to note the incredible number of messages and responses you are receiving is such a tribute to Ginnie, I hope it provides some inner strength. I am here as well as what seems to be not only the entire North Coast but most of the DR itself for whatever you may need. Ginnie was one of a kind and a good kind. She will be most remembered. Dr. Bruce.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I go away for a couple of days and come back to this.

Stunned shock and immense sadness.

Grace for all that grieve.

jojo2130

May 30, 2005
I had the pleasure of meeting and "working" with Both Ginnie and Graham to help save a little boy. I was invited to her home and treated like a friend and with the utmost grace and the advice she gave succeeded. Actually I believe she and Grahame were solely responsible for the success but would not take direct credit for it. A phone call came out of no where shortly after my visit with them. (and after 3 months of trying unsuccessfully alone)

It seems Ginnie (And Grahame) were embroiled in an endless cycle to give back to the country that brought them happiness and humor. The more they received, the more they gave, selflessly, with gusto and cunningly too I might add.

In any story, I always sought Ginnie's and Grahame's posts to clear the matter and give a realistic and insightful view.

It was always reassuring to know that they were there in times of need and I tried to respect their time and advice and not "bother" them for trivial matters. But I have a feeling that no matter what the subject , she would would have "stepped up".

Ginnie, your warmth, intelligence and insights will be sadly missed but somehow I think you are still watching over us.

Shiraz72

Bronze
Feb 10, 2010
There are not adequate words to express how deeply sorry I am to hear this. My heart goes out to Grahame and family. Samantha.

Lucille

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
Uk, Dom Rep, Pop and dr1 lost a treasure...
And the heaven gained a treasure....
Rip Ginnie...

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
I'm shock! This is so unexpected. I thought Ginnie would always be here with us sharing her wisdom and help. Graham my condolences. It is a true lost for all of us. RIP Ginnie you'll be missed.

Very sad,
NotLurking...