It Now Cost's More To Live in Haiti Than DR

Mar 1, 2009
Wow that is crazy!! Two points, 1) The reconstruction is going to take a loooooooong time and it's going to be a money making bonanza for those involved.
2) With the increase in construction related activities and the money being doled out there I think Dominican's and Haitians are going to be lured to PAP, Haiti.

Maybe I can build me an apartment building and make some income in Haiti like I already do in DR?
Hey If I'm thinking about it, who else isn't?

Lovely Lando

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
For the last 4 years Haiti has been vastly more expensive that the D.R.

For example, my rent for a 2 bed apartment/condo in PAP has never been less than 1400US$ inc leccy/cable TV.

This is not a new phenomenon.

Things are even worse now - some landlords are gouging as there are thousands more people who have come to save us all in Haiti. Plus there is a little less housing stock as some of it fell down.

The same goes for hiring a car and renting a hotel room although I know some decent folks who have not raised prices.

Diesel is still 3 bucks a gallon though - just make sure that there isn't too much water in it.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I think that it has been longer than 4 years that Haiti has been more expensive.

Consider that there is very little public power or infrastructure...

If you want electricity you have to have generator and run it yourself

Consider that the bulk of the food is imported

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
I think the main difference is that in the D.R. you can largely do as the locals do - eat chicken from the street, shop at the colmado, take the guagua, go to a public beach etc etc...

In Haiti living like a local is not something most blans would want to do.

OK, so I eat the street food, buy fruit on the street and take the odd moto, but when it comes to housing I would not live in a corrugated iron shack in a ravine with no electricity, water or security.
Tap-taps are just too damned hot and inconvenient - and in some cases risky - and the beach, if you live in Port auPrince, in just not on at all.
You need to head south and west for an hour and pay to enter a drab private beach club for a few dollars or head north for an hour and pay US$25 to enter one of the soulless beach resorts there.

In the D.R. you can do these things, in Haiti, mostly not.
Maybe if you are a tourist wanting to experience the 'real' Haiti it is OK for a couple of weeks, but to live full time like an average Haitian would have most people running for the airport after a few days.

Therein lies one of Haiti's problems - living conditions suck for most Haitians.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
yeah exactly haiti has always been expensive..

i met hairdressers from the DR who go live in haiti for a few months a year, they cut hair in haiti fulltime then take the rest of the year off in the DR because they earned so much money.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
All very interesting as I assumed because of the lower income it would be less expensiive in Haiti.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
Demand for Services

All very interesting as I assumed because of the lower income it would be less expensiive in Haiti.

There must be a large demand for certain services by a group of people who have the means. Maybe the big influx of NGOs, Gubmint people, business people and celebrities.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
I would have thought so too but essentially there are two tiers of existence - Rich and Poor, Have and Have not, Regular Haitian and Elite Haitian.

This is much more marked and segregated in Haiti and is not the same as in urban D.R.

Trust me, you would not want to be on the wrong side of that equation.

Even though you can exist for a few dollars per day (millions of Haitians do it) Haiti is no place to be broke!
I know no expats who live there just for the hell of it like in the D.R.

Every expat that I know is there for a reason - generally a business or a well paid job.

There is fun and a good life to be had in Haiti - but believe me, it costs.

Mar 1, 2009
So I guess my dream for a 6 unit apartment building in PAP is kinda unrealistic? You guys have really popped my bubble. I thought it was super cheap over there, thanks for the info.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Building is cheap - even doing it right.
Land is not that expensive either.

I think it sounds like a fine idea if you are prepared and experienced enough not to get shafted on the land deal or by your contractors.